PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Cove????

baja_john
06-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I am going to Shelter Cove this weekend. Never fished there so any information on Salmon or Rock fish would be a great help.

Laporte_1
06-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Don't forget your crab traps! Give the landing a call @ 1-707-986-1234 for some up to date info. Give us a little more info about your trip (own boat, campground?, etc. & maybe more info will follow. I'll be there Sat. the 8th. so I'd appreciate a report upon your return. Thanks

Laporte
06-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Baja John, doesn't look like anyone is responding to your request so I will give some suggestions. I assume your are bringing your own boat. First, get in line at the Lost Coast Landing tackle Shop for your launch paddle(#). When you get on the water I recommend marking the bouy's on your GPS. There is a can (bell) at the harbor entrance & a Bouy (whistle) straight out. If you don't have GPS write down the compass heading. Ask in the tackle shop. If the fog moves in you want to be prepared. Find the fleet & listen to CH.68 VHF 15 CB. These are also monitored by the landing for trailer pick up. I cannot retreive my coordinates for favorite rockpiles but I assure you any rocky outcropping holds abundant bottom fish. Mooching for Salmon is out of the question because the rockfish will keep you buisy rebaiting until you've had enough of it. No need to venture north of the lighthouse. If you have days to explore, north can be awesome just off the beach in the kelp beds. Huge rockfish can be found just outside of the surf in 10' of water. South of the harbor. Go catch & release 100 fish this w/end. Have a great trip. My rule is (If you ask if it's big enough to keep, Throw it back).

triggerfish
06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Dungeness closes after June 30. I believe state wide.

baja_john
06-28-2006, 04:10 AM
We will be taking a boat and we have GPS. We are staying in the RV park. Thanks for the information and I will report when I return on the 6th. Thanks for your help. John

Laporte
06-28-2006, 05:09 AM
Page 38 Ocean Sport Fishing Regs. Says Del Norte, Humbolt & Mendocino counties Dungeness open thru July 30.