PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon expensive joke?

CrappieJed
04-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Ok I've read and heard how fluorocarbon wont spook fish everyone saying add that important fluo leader. I say hogwash for bass anyway. Last sun I turn on the JimmyHouston show and Jimmy in clear water throwing this screwy umbrella rig made out high vis cable and swivels on each grub the size of clothes line clips. Now come on what's really up fishing line getting like pro sports big prices and for what?
COME ON MAN!!!

CJ

BeefCakeScout
04-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Not for bass. I have never met a lineshy bass, even in pressured water. I run straight braid half the time with no issues. On that note, braid floats. I will tie on a flouro leader if I am fishing weightless, or even dropshotting.

FishnBeer
04-03-2013, 07:48 AM
bass dont seem to care about line. if they did nobody would fish braided line. i use fluoro leaders for stripers salmon & trout . good quality fluoro line also casts like a dream on a nice casting reel

seaguar abrazx is my preference : Seaguar Product Details - AbrazX (http://seaguar.com/products/abrazx.htm)

Line Stretcher
04-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Flouro has some propeties that are desireable when certain conditions exist. It doesn't float so that can be a plus. As far as fish being able to see it.. Well, I'm not a fish so I can't tell you if a fish can see it or not. Bass don't seem to care but up on the Smith in crystal clear water it does make a difference. What I try to remember when I'm selecting lines and line colors is that I need to present something to a fish that the fish thinks is food when it often isn't. In otherwords, 90% of the time we're trying to fool the fish.

The biggest drawback to Flouro line is it's knot strength. Some claim to achieve 80%. My response to that is "can you do it consistently and during a hot bite?". I say no and give it 50% as an average.

The story is ever changeing though. It's sort of like the Graphite Rod battle. The same companies that make the Flouro's are now making hybrid nylons that are no longer monofillament and provide many of the same features of Flouro without the tremendous loss of knot strength. They still float so there will always be that desireable quality in Flouro.

One of the other things that Flouro dosen't do well is stretch. Some claim that a direct hookup is better than a sling shot hookup. I guess it depends on the fish because I just don't see any difference in netted fish numbers with either when I fish for trout. I don't bass fish enough to tell you if there's a difference with them, you'd be better off asking a Bass Pro.

CrappieJed
04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Maybe so but I catch alot of fish with mr crappie yellow line and omniflex $0.99 500 yards. Casting trolling jigging bobbering even in bass lake where the water is gin clear

CJ

dabalone
04-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Flouro has some different properties from straight mono, just another tool in your bag of tricks.

CrappieJed
04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Flouro has some different properties from straight mono, just another tool in your bag of tricks.I guess your right...just was watching Hank Parker he was ecplaining fluorocarbon lines he especially likes using it when fishing with crank baits. He says he can actually get another foot deeper compared to mono apparently the Fluorocarbon sinks faster. CJ

thukidad
04-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Reason I buy flourocarbon:

1. Smaller diameter # for # than mono or copolymer. I fish 50 series reel so the extra line does help me get about 55-65 yds 20# flouro
2. Sinking line. My go to line for flip/pitch. Depending on depth,cover I may use flouro or mono for cranks/jerks or any other moving bait.
3. Sensitivity. Mono and co polymer aint even in the same category.
4. Confidence. Having flourocarbon on gives me a little confidence over mono/copoly/braid
5. Lower stretch than mono. Sunline shooter, nuff said. But im trying out seaguar tatsu this year... see what happens.

Thats it. Line being invisible, I don't buy that crap. Knot strength, it really depends on what kind of knot you tie. I personally just tie the good ol improved uni knot and havent had a problem. Costs, well pretty much you get what you pay for.

westcoastdave
04-05-2013, 08:55 AM
It's just like braid. When it first came out everyone thought monofiliment was going to go the way of linen fishing line. Just like braid, flourocarbon line has it's place in fishing. I use it only for leaders and have had no problem with knot strength with the current lines. I mostly use Triple-fish,Seaguar, and P-line flouro leader material. When cheap flouro first came out (Vanish) I had problems with it and stopped using it. I had too many fish and lures "Vanish". I have heard that Berkley has reformulated Vanish, but I wont give it a second chance.

Snowtrout
04-05-2013, 11:51 AM
As someone else said, it's another tool in your tackle box.

An expensive joke? Maybe but ask long range tuna guys and people who fish very clear water about it and they will swear it gets them more fish than mono.

But like mono, all fluoro lines are not created equal. Some brands have less stretch than mono, some more. Some brands are more abrasion resistant than mono, some less. Some brands are stronger at a certain diameter than mono, some less. Some brands knot strength is better than mono, some less. Someone mentioned Vanish, that what it did when I tried it. It shreded worse than mono, had more stretch than mono, didn't hold knots as well as mono......it plain sucked. On the other hand, Sunline and Toray Superhard are great lines and beat out mono in the same diameter in nearly every category listed above (per a line shootout on another website). But they are in the +$30 range for 200 yards.

Two areas where mono and fluoro are very different: mono absorbs water, most fluoros don't and fluoro's are denser than mono (more feel, sometimes better abrasion). Since fluoro is denser, in theory you will get more depth from a lure than mono at the same diameter but I really haven't seen this. I think you would have to troll 100 yds of this stuff or throw a crankbait that gets deeper than say 15-17' to see any measureable difference.

Guys on TV get paid to talk about their sponsors products. If they were to throw a crankbait that hits 20' on mono, fluoro and braid of the same diameter, I bet they would say the fluoro and braid goes deeper than mono. But wait, braid floats and fluoro sinks right?? It's about the feel and when you first hit structure. Braid and fluoro will telegraph you have hit something easier than mono, thus people think it goes deeper because they could feel the bottom first with those lines.......My opinion though

Hamachi_Kama
04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I swear by it. Granted, it's not necessary for every game/species, but if you fish clear water, the stuff just flat out works. I use it for delta striper, even though most of the water I fish is not what I'd call gin clear, but some of it is as I move from west to east. When offshore chasing pelagics, there is no way in hell I'd do without - I've seen the magic and hook-up ratios can be highly dependent on whether you are using a piece of it or not. I've actually had guys offer me money for 3' section, and of course people will beg for it too. I don't take the money, but I do remind them that its highly advised to have some on hand when live bait fishin for tuna. If its WFO frothing, ripper bite, then just tie direct to mono, but if its a scratch bite (which is typically the case) It truly does make the difference with regard to slaying a few or watching everyone else get bit. Bottom line - I have complete confidence in the stuff and that's good enough for me. I like to stack the deck in my favor. I do draw the line @ #10 spectra ( I tie direct to that) but anything above that gets a flouro leader.

CrappieJed
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Back in the day 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s maybe 90s when all those huge tuna and marlin were being caught was the water more stained; then now....just saying come on guys someone getting snookered

CJ

Line Stretcher
04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
CJ, here's what I know about fish and what they do and don't like...

Yep that's about it, a big ole blank. I'm not afraid to admit it. Fishing in a tank and saying the fish like this line or that line or that they can't see this line or that one doesn't tell me anything I'm willing to believe. Heck the hot item right now is red line and hooks.

On the water experience bodes better with me and Hamachi_Kamas presents some compelling evidence but its nothing he can prove with science. Still I have a strong tendency to believe him.

My bottom line for all fishing gear I think (just my opinion) is that if I use it and I like it then I keep using it. If I'm afraid of the price then I leave it behind on the shelf and keep using what I always have. I won't tell you it doesn't work, I'll probably say it might work or it makes sense that it might work but I can't afford to spend that much money. I'd rather spend it on what I know works.

Hamachi_Kama
04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Back in the day 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s maybe 90s when all those huge tuna and marlin were being caught was the water more stained; then now....just saying come on guys someone getting snookered

CJ And we also used clunky 3-1 reels and still slayed fish. I was there for it (70's and beyond, at least) and indeed, we did slay them. However, if you have fished offshore with any frequency in the past 10 or so years, you'd know that flouro is where its at. You simply get more bites. And, I cannot tell you how many times it has made a difference. Opinions are one thing - facts another. Fact is it works. You'd be "snookered" if you maintained your opinion, only to see others killing it with flouro during scratchy conditions. It makes a believer out of all the nay-sayers.....just sayin.

SF21
04-05-2013, 03:12 PM
And we also used clunky 3-1 reels and still slayed fish. I was there for it (70's and beyond, at least) and indeed, we did slay them. However, if you have fished offshore with any frequency in the past 10 or so years, you'd know that flouro is where its at. You simply get more bites. And, I cannot tell you how many times it has made a difference. Opinions are one thing - facts another. Fact is it works. You'd be "snookered" if you maintained your opinion, only to see others killing it with flouro during scratchy conditions. It makes a believer out of all the nay-sayers.....just sayin.

That makes sense, if the conditions call for it, it may be the only way to get a bite. Like others mentioned certain fish in certain conditions may call for something nearly invisible to the fish.

You may not know that you would have caught more fish, on the way home from a skunk....

CrappieJed
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Wow that's great slay them in the 70s and killing them now you must be really slaying them good job

CJ

Hamachi_Kama
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Wow that's great slay them in the 70s and killing them now you must be really slaying them good job

CJ If that's sarcasm - I've seen much better. Anyhow, flouro works well in the D too. Case in point - a few years ago we were fishin late fall on the old sac throwing rip baits. My buddy and I both were throwing same baits to the same spots. It was gin clear, with maybe 5' to 6' of visibility. I was getting 4 or 5 bites to his one. Only difference was I was using a 3' flouro leader and he was using straight 15 braid. Long story short, we leadered him up with some flouro and it was like a lightswitch - we now were both enjoying consistent bites. Indeed, I don't have the "science" to back it up, but I do have the anecdotes. Needless to say, that guy now has flouro leaders on every time we fish.

IronClad
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Real world > science any day of the week. Ive been considering getting some flouro for leaders for this season since i switched everything up to braid to see how i like it.

CrappieJed
04-05-2013, 05:01 PM
If that's sarcasm - I've seen much better. Anyhow, flouro works well in the D too. Case in point - a few years ago we were fishin late fall on the old sac throwing rip baits. My buddy and I both were throwing same baits to the same spots. It was gin clear, with maybe 5' to 6' of visibility. I was getting 4 or 5 bites to his one. Only difference was I was using a 3' flouro leader and he was using straight 15 braid. Long story short, we leadered him up with some flouro and it was like a lightswitch - we now were both enjoying consistent bites. Indeed, I don't have the "science" to back it up, but I do have the anecdotes. Needless to say, that guy now has flouro leaders on every time we fish.
You have seen better sarcasm lol this something your used to:rotfl: actually it wasn't Im glad you fisherman have got it down to a science and slaying the fish. I, like you just like to catch fish and I do...I just don't need cutting hedge science and especially gimmicks

CJ

Hamachi_Kama
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
You have seen better sarcasm lol this something your used to:rotfl: actually it wasn't Im glad you fisherman have got it down to a science and slaying the fish. I, like you just like to catch fish and I do...I just don't need cutting hedge science and especially gimmicks

CJ
Well if thats the case- my apologies for making the assumption. My thing is that i want to share with others the tips, techniques and anecdotes with others so that they too can use if they choose. I've learned alot from others and its good karma to keep on playing it forward. And about the flouro- i gladly fork out 30 bucks for a 100 yd spool of seaguar only because its worth every penny with the fishin i do. If it didnt work I'd call BS on it.

CrappieJed
04-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Saltwater fish I have no clue thats your world and i beleive whatever you say i saw your library of fish you got that down. Originally watching JmmyHuston catch bass on all that wire is what got me thinking why the Fluor...that's all

CJ

phishndad
04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
I have only recently spooled up a couple of rods with fluorocarbon. The fact that the line sinks quickly has helped getting lures down in certain situations like plugging in stronger currents and fishing jigs and plastics for bass when its windy etc. Looking for suggestions as far as different brands cuz the cheap vanish stuff really sucks. Knot strength is horrible as is line memory and abrasion resistance. I would like to find a line with less of these drawbacks but even with all its problems just the fact that it sinks helps me present certain lures more naturally.

CrappieJed
04-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Split shot usually all I need go little deeper especially for cranking to gills that are deep

CJ

Snowtrout
04-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Cj,
It seems you have no use for fluoro and don't care to use it. Some have found it useful by actually trying it and making their own opinions about it, regardless of what a tv fishing personality says.

I'm sure you have your favorite mono, that was decided upon by trial and error of different brands. Trying fluoro or even braid is no different. Just have to find what works for you and gives you confidence.

phishndad
04-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Split shot usually all I need go little deeper especially for cranking to gills that are deep

CJ

Sometimes its not the same.....I'll give you 2 examples when I have found uses for it. I fish the stanislaus river for stripers and one of my go to lures is a zoom fluke fished on a jighead. Now for the best action I want as little wieght as possible at the lure to.get a nice side to side action but with the fast current both mono and braid seem to float/drag in the water more not letting the lure get down to the fish. Now yeah I could just use a heavier jig head but then the motion of the lure is compleatly different. Instead of a side to side action it just kind of hops. Another example is when I and fishing soft plastics for bass. Lots of times I fish in very rocky areas so more wieght means more snags. So in that situation having a line that sinks helps a great deal. Not saying fluoro is a must have but I personally have found certain situations where it is very helpful. Hope these examples help explain some advantages I have found

CrappieJed
04-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Cj,
It seems you have no use for fluoro and don't care to use it. Some have found it useful by actually trying it and making their own opinions about it, regardless of what a tv fishing personality says.

I'm sure you have your favorite mono, that was decided upon by trial and error of different brands. Trying fluoro or even braid is no different. Just have to find what works for you and gives you confidence.
Well actually I thought I was done with this topic...but I will have to say I disagree it's not that I have no use for Fluor lines I just dont pay expensive prices. Fluor comes way down in price or you send me a pack 61b I will use it. Do I have a favorite mono heck no whatever's on sale at Von's in the little town I live in or I take drive bass pro and buy mr. crappie yellow mono. I will buy omniflex from Wally World. I love fishing tv personalities these guys have ran the race and deserve their shows. They are the best if the best. With that said even though they push a product like Fluor doesn't mean I will buy what their pushing. Am I frugal yes i just dont spend money foolishly. Here is example I'm fishing with Mickey Daniels Lake Tahoe were trolling for macs in some of the clearest water in the world. What were we using...wire line that look like my wife's clothes line. Honestly I don't care what anyone uses I really don't...just my opinions. My confidence in line is strong and my many pictures of multi species is the proof in pudding

Tight lines (whatever their flavor)

CJ

dabalone
04-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Mono is still by far the most popular and most used line in the world its not going anywhere. Flouro is still mostly used as a leader material because of its stiffness and memory although some of the newer stuff is trying to compete with mono for main line. Besides being used for mostly leaders its other uses are mainly situational because it may just work better than mono in some scenarios but then mono will work better in others.

Does going to flouro instantly up your catch rates in a noticeable and continuing way? Maybe, maybe not, probably has more to do with the person holding the rod, but anything that gives your confidence a boost is going to make you a better fisherman. Its another tool and kind of like arguing what is the best caliber to hunt elk with (in another thread) depends on the situation and what you have confidence in.

CrappieJed
04-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Perfect dabalone....you always have s way worth words.

CJ

CRABBY
04-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Perfect dabalone....you always have s way worth words.

CJYea he is a slick talkin ol fart!!!!LOL..An smart too!!!!!:DHAAAAAAAAA

dabalone
04-06-2013, 03:53 PM
LOL Crabby and thanks CJ. Appreciate the compliment, but I am just like everyone else I have an opinion and don't feel it makes mine anymore valid than others here. It makes a forum like this fun, you can get other perspectives that are eye opening at times. Its all good.:smiley:

phishndad
04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
So too all the fluoro users out there can I get a recommendation for a good fluoro in the 10-14lb range other than the Berkeley vanish junk? Want to spool one spinning rod and one baitcaster with fluoro.

Line Stretcher
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
So too all the fluoro users out there can I get a recommendation for a good fluoro in the 10-14lb range other than the Berkeley vanish junk? Want to spool one spinning rod and one baitcaster with fluoro.

Why don't you spool up with mono and use a fluorocarbon leader. That's what a lot of us do to avoid paying for a spool of FC that will sit on the reel for the most part. I use Seguar Fluorocarbon leader material. I like it, knot strength is as good as any.

On average, you'll only need about 3' of leader that way.

Oooops, did I let the cat out of the bag....LOL...

P.S. if you want a direct stretch free hook up, use braid instead of Mono. My favorite braid is Power Pro, I'm testing the red right now so don't buy it until I report the results.

phishndad
04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
I use fluoro for the fact that it sinks. I don't think bass or stripers are line shy. If you read my post from a few pages back you'll see what situations I use flourish in. If I don't need the line to sink I use braid almost exclusively for bass/ stripers no matter how clear the water. I mainly fish the stanislaus and generally do very well tying directly to braid. Just looking for a fluoro for certain specific situations. Preferably one with better knot strength and less memory than the Berkeley vanish.

Line Stretcher
04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I use fluoro for the fact that it sinks. I don't think bass or stripers are line shy. If you read my post from a few pages back you'll see what situations I use flourish in. If I don't need the line to sink I use braid almost exclusively for bass/ stripers no matter how clear the water. I mainly fish the stanislaus and generally do very well tying directly to braid. Just looking for a fluoro for certain specific situations. Preferably one with better knot strength and less memory than the Berkeley vanish.

Line nemory problems can be dramatically reduced with line lube.

phishndad
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Never heard of line lube?

Line Stretcher
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Never heard of line lube? Kevin Van Dam made it popular but it's been around for a while. I get it at CVS in the fishing dept. It comes in a spray can. It cost about 1/3 as much as the stuff Van Dam promotes.

dabalone
04-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Agree with pdgs, line conditioner is legit for mono and flouro. Put it on the night before and let it work.

CrappieJed
04-08-2013, 05:32 AM
Sometimes its not the same.....I'll give you 2 examples when I have found uses for it. I fish the stanislaus river for stripers and one of my go to lures is a zoom fluke fished on a jighead. Now for the best action I want as little wieght as possible at the lure to.get a nice side to side action but with the fast current both mono and braid seem to float/drag in the water more not letting the lure get down to the fish. Now yeah I could just use a heavier jig head but then the motion of the lure is compleatly different. Instead of a side to side action it just kind of hops. Another example is when I and fishing soft plastics for bass. Lots of times I fish in very rocky areas so more wieght means more snags. So in that situation having a line that sinks helps a great deal. Not saying fluoro is a must have but I personally have found certain situations where it is very helpful. Hope these examples help explain some advantages I have found
I agree I never use any weight when using jigs...crank bait little different story

CJ

dabalone
04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
A simple comparison but interesting. You can see a slight difference between the flouro and mono in this test but I would question a couple things. Lots and Lots of mono, some less visible than others don't know anything about the mono they used here, also in the test you will notice the angle of the light creates a slight shadow in the background, the mono side is up against a lighter background while the flouro side seems to be in a slight shadow. Anyway just for giggles and it would be a easy experiment to do yourself where you could control the background to make it exactly the same.

http://youtu.be/YpgGfm6Q0rY

CrappieJed
04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
A simple comparison but interesting. You can see a slight difference between the flouro and mono in this test but I would question a couple things. Lots and Lots of mono, some less visible than others don't know anything about the mono they used here, also in the test you will notice the angle of the light creates a slight shadow in the background, the mono side is up against a lighter background while the flouro side seems to be in a slight shadow. Anyway just for giggles and it would be a easy experiment to do yourself where you could control the background to make it exactly the same.

http://youtu.be/YpgGfm6Q0rY
Thanks for the video dablone...now I see why I catch so many fish with mono. The mono actually looks like a microscopic worm (nematode) trying to attack the bait thus causing the fish to get excited and want to bite. Leave it to dablone to find all the answers Makes sense to me

CJ

BeefCakeScout
04-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Phishndad nailed it. I tie flouro directly to braid. If I was working a weightess fluke and had a weight hanging in front of it, the action would die. Its like having a swivel tied 3 feet in front of a TW plug.....no bueno

dabalone
04-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the video dablone...now I see why I catch so many fish with mono. The mono actually looks like a microscopic worm (nematode) trying to attack the bait thus causing the fish to get excited and want to bite. Leave it to dablone to find all the answers Makes sense to me

CJ

LOL, might have something there!

Hamachi_Kama
04-10-2013, 08:33 AM
the bottom line is it only works if you use it. It's not the holy grail answer to increase your bite ratio, but one of several components that increase the likelihood on every cast. All are entitled to their opinions and respect must be maintained, but again, with the fishin I do, I will not leave the house without it. It's been my experience that the doubters have never really even fished with it, or at least not in earnest. And, its a pain in the ass! If you're not a knot freak, or enjoy rigging your kits the night before, than it's definitely not for you! Shoot, If I have to rig all my kits before a day of striper slayin, it takes well over an hour just to tie leaders on 6-8 rods! My thinking is if it brings me one more bite, especially a bite from that wiser, older and bigger fish, it's all worth it. With an open mind come new possibilities. However, in a world of gimmicks, crappy products sold as worthy and the always questioning mind of the angler, it may prove difficult to give it the credence that it deserves.

CrappieJed
04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
the bottom line is it only works if you use it. It's not the holy grail answer to increase your bite ratio, but one of several components that increase the likelihood on every cast. All are entitled to their opinions and respect must be maintained, but again, with the fishin I do, I will not leave the house without it. It's been my experience that the doubters have never really even fished with it, or at least not in earnest. And, its a pain in the ass! If you're not a knot freak, or enjoy rigging your kits the night before, than it's definitely not for you! Shoot, If I have to rig all my kits before a day of striper slayin, it takes well over an hour just to tie leaders on 6-8 rods! My thinking is if it brings me one more bite, especially a bite from that wiser, older and bigger fish, it's all worth it. With an open mind come new possibilities. However, in a world of gimmicks, crappy products sold as worthy and the always questioning mind of the angler, it may prove difficult to give it the credence that it deserves.
I'm sorry I'm not following are you talking about using straight braid?

CJ

basskeeter1
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Fishing the A-Rig/Cal-Abama Rig is a fast retrieve technique. This technique does not allow the fish to clearly see what the bait is. The fish is only striking at it out of irritation, noise and vibration since it will only stay in the strike zone for a short period. If you were fishing a presentation such as a jerk bait or crank bait, fluorocarbon is totally necessary. The lure is presented with a dead pause and it stays longer in the strike zone and the lure moves a lot slower compared to the A-Rig/Cal-Abama Rig. With that said, punching is an exception due to potential gear loss. IMO, I wouldnít use straight braid for drop shot, Carolina rig, Texas rig, cranking, jerking it just doesnít make sense.

Maybe it wasnít the line but the presentation!!!

With my experience better gear, right gear and knowledge all equals out to more fish caught. Iím also pretty sure there were a lot more fishes in the lakes, river and sea 30 -40 years ago versus today. The population of people from the 30ís to the 90ís to today have also increased about 1000%.

Both Hamachi_Kamas and PDGS made some great points.

49erbassman
04-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Great thread guys! Has me thinking for sure. I'm a 100% mono guy all my life but want to branch out and see if it increases my success. I fish a lot of ponds though so not sure It would help in those situations.

Fish on!