PDA

View Full Version : How about a lure making forum?

BeefCakeScout
04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
I know it has been brought up before(likely by me), but there are a few of us here and it would be pretty nifty to share secrets and show off. Anyone else?

Maybe "lure making and customization" or something of the sort?

CAL.NDN
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Great idea but with all.the big name lure sponsors on here they wouldn't want us making our own lol.

redneckpunk
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
For now, I suggest starting a thread under the gear and tackle board. I believe it has been suggested before but I dont recall if it went beyond the suggestion stage. Not sure if we have enough members with your talents to justify a seperate board, but worthy of discussion

~RNP

basskeeter1
04-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Can someone make something like this setup if I provide the hooks?

WHT.RUS
04-09-2013, 09:11 AM

Bend the hook with pliers and throw a split shot near the loop hole? Not sure if that would work, plus would probably weaken the hook. Maybe worth a shot.

BeefCakeScout
04-09-2013, 01:11 PM

You can find those crooked hooks?

basskeeter1
04-10-2013, 07:15 AM
You can find those crooked hooks?

I've have the hooks. I just need someone who can pour/cast the lead onto the hook to resemble the picture. Gama makes the hooks.

basskeeter1
04-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Bend the hook with pliers and throw a split shot near the loop hole? Not sure if that would work, plus would probably weaken the hook. Maybe worth a shot.

That's what I'm thinking of also if I can't find someone to help me pour/cast the lead on.

TW-house sells them at $5 - $6 for a 4 pack. I'm just trying to save a little by making my own with some help.

:moneybag1:

WHT.RUS
04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
Get a jig mold, pour in the jigs then bend the hook below it? What does the bent do anyways?

basskeeter1
04-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Get a jig mold, pour in the jigs then bend the hook below it? What does the bent do anyways?

It makes the lure presentation come in at a 55 degree angle with a 20% increase over the extra wide gap standard hooks. The area (bend) where the lure initially touches closets to the hook eye creates more room for the lure to collapse when the fish takes a strike at the bait. I have notice that my hook set ratio has increased about 25% over your standard shakey head hooks. With that said your snag ratio is still the same, one snag per every 15 20 casts at the end of the day adds up. Considering $1.40 per hook and about .40 per lure X 15 snags can seriously put a dent in my wallet.

CRABBY
04-10-2013, 03:28 PM
A $ 1.40 a hook is crazy,that's more than 223 ammo right now!!!Do your own!!!:shocked:

basskeeter1
04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
A $ 1.40 a hook is crazy,that's more than 223 ammo right now!!!Do your own!!!:shocked:

Hunting Fishing!!! :krzyhunter4ez: Hmmmm!

BeefCakeScout
04-10-2013, 08:07 PM
$27 for a pound of alumilite RTV bro. With that, you can make a mold for numerous heads. Thats how I make my spinners.

Fern-dog
04-10-2013, 08:47 PM
I pour a lot of my own jigs, pretty simple actually. Here's a simple suggestion.

Pick up a jig mold, then load that hook up with a good perm marking ink and lay the hook between the mold in such the way you will need to have it lay when the pour is complete. Then take a dremal type tool and file down the area that the hook will lay into for a finished product. Just follow the line from the ink left on the mold. Grind equal amounts on both sides, just enough to let the hook shank lay flat in the mold. I think it would work for you and not much $$$ out of your pocket .

Fern Dod

BaitMaster
04-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I guess lure making would fall under the gear and tackle section, but I wouldn't mind a separate section to help inspire and motivate my tackle tinkering hinkering, lol.

BeefCakeScout
04-11-2013, 09:42 AM
I guess lure making would fall under the gear and tackle section, but I wouldn't mind a separate section to help inspire and motivate my tackle tinkering hinkering, lol.

Thats what I wanna hear......I know there are some creators, and TONS of tinkerers here.

AnglingWes
04-11-2013, 10:17 AM
I'll add a section for you guys when I get back to my desktop this afternoon.

49erbassman
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I'll add a section for you guys when I get back to my desktop this afternoon.

Can it be a forum for both lure and Rod building? We seem to have a lot of folks that build there own rods

Fish on!

BeefCakeScout
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Can it be a forum for both lure and Rod building? We seem to have a lot of folks that build there own rods

Fish on!

This....building and modification

BaitMaster
04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
+1

It would be cool to barter custom tackle as the seasons progress:)

AnglingWes
04-19-2013, 05:45 AM
Added Rod Building and Tackle/ Lure Building Forums for you guys.

BaitMaster
04-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks Wes! :)

AlbeeFishing
04-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Great idea but with all.the big name lure sponsors on here they wouldn't want us making our own lol.
It still wont stop us from doing it any ways. Plus it could benefit them to see what we are doing and what we like. It would be a no cost R&D for them. I vote yes lets make one.