PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Derby

Rugby Lock
04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Anyone here ever been to it? Is it worth taking my son to instead of going to Rollins? Anyone have any pointers on where to fish that lake?

CAL.NDN
04-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Its a small lake and there will probaly be a few hundred people atleast so spots will be hard to find it will be elbow to elbow lake combat fishing at its finest. A lot of people will camp over night and try and get the best spots they will start lining the banks around 4 in morning because they stayed night for that purpose. .good luck if ya go.

Jfitalia
04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I'll be there in my toon and my gf will be in her yak

CAL.NDN
04-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Heck i might have to go just to try and bomb Jf with a 3/4 oz egg sinker. ;)

Jfitalia
04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Heck i might have to go just to try and bomb Jf with a 3/4 oz egg sinker. ;)

whoa whoa whoa!!!!! Atleast you a 1/4 kastmaster so I can cut it off and keep it! :dancingorange:

CAL.NDN
04-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I figured a slime worm.and powerbait combo would be a lil.nicer than a kastmaster. Good luck.out there back in the day there was some nice ones put in. But i usualy go during the week after the crowds.

Rugby Lock
04-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the information! Probably go to Rollins instead...

Jfitalia
04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
I figured a slime worm.and powerbait combo would be a lil.nicer than a kastmaster. Good luck.out there back in the day there was some nice ones put in. But i usualy go during the week after the crowds.

Yeah I dont really wanna go but the GF does for some reason

CAL.NDN
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Its a great family fun event can get real crowded but lots of kids having fun. So the equals good times in my eyes. If you was wanting to take your son then he probably realy enjoy it there and mite just win the prize for the biggest fish for kids. Give it a try rollins will always be there.

bankaroos
04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
If you're planning on camping out, that cove across from the maintenance yard has always been the spot of choice. That's where you'll see the combat fishing. Since they're planting Friday evening, why not try the area between the launch ramp before you cross the dam and the dam or go past the maintenance yard and fish the other side of the combat cove towards the beach. Good Luck!

redneckpunk
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Never fished it on "Derby Day" but the place can get to crowded for my liking on a typical weekend.

thompsonwdavid
04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I was wondering how big the lake is and how many fish? I have some newbies that want to try some easy catching. I have a few other spots I would take them but that's about 45 minutes out of the way plus they want to try the derby thing.

BaitMaster
04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I fished both days last year in the rain....I started out away from the crowd and not a bite! Finally the rain chased a few people away and i managed a spot...it wasnt a "nice spot" fishing over cattails, but we managed a few fish.

The second day was a little nicer and a few less people but still crowded... If you want to catch fish thats something you will have to deal with.

They stock before and after the dam in the two coves and the fish stay there for the 2 day derby, hence all the people crowding there.

I was suprised to find out a month later that i placed 3rd....

CAL.NDN
04-05-2013, 07:37 AM
JF better say hi or i will bomb ya :)

Jfitalia
04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
JF better say hi or i will bomb ya :)

Oh man your going to be there?

I'll be in a blue toon with my fly rod and a Giants hat on!

CAL.NDN
04-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Yea im bored haven't chased a trout truck but once this year and my wife said go so what am.i suppose to say no to her happy wife happy life so i guess i am.going i will either be in my camos as usual or if gona be hot mite be in shorts a tank and a old white ninners hat you cant miss me im big and my chest plate of bear claws you can see from a mile :)

Jfitalia
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Yea im bored haven't chased a trout truck but once this year and my wife said go so what am.i suppose to say no to her happy wife happy life so i guess i am.going i will either be in my camos as usual or if gona be hot mite be in shorts a tank and a old white ninners hat you cant miss me im big and my chest plate of bear claws you can see from a mile :)

what time you rolling out there?

CAL.NDN
04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I will be there@ 6

Jfitalia
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
I will be there@ 6

me to, I'll have a big yellow kayak strapped to the suv

CAL.NDN
04-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Ok cool i will look for ya i will be in my lil gas getter Mitsubishi. Lol yea i will look funny a big guy in a lil car lol but its great for traveling around fishing and for outa town work. See ya in the morning. Oh and its a lil old amd ugly amd i park.it all over and no one breaks in so far knock on wood.

49erbassman
04-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Good luck fellas. I'll be chasing striped fish this weekend since I can't catch any damn ditch pickles haha lmao

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
04-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Bring the boy and come hit the bank with me rob

Starscream
04-05-2013, 03:46 PM
I fished there last year too but only on sunday last year. I thought I was gonna get skunk until I caught three trout and a bass and I was 12th place last year with a 2.38 trout hope to go sunday

CAL.NDN
04-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Jf you aint awake yet what the hell. Good luck guys. Waiting on miwokfisher. Early bird gets the worm.

49erbassman
04-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Jf you aint awake yet what the hell. Good luck guys. Waiting on miwokfisher. Early bird gets the worm.

And the worm catches the fish ;-)

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
04-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Good luck guys! Make the Sniffer proud:)

dabalone
04-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Combat fishing! Got the sniffer swat team going down there, early guys can do the surveillance and figure the tactics, then send CAL.NDN in to clear an area. Area secured.:cheers::cheers:

WHT.RUS
04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Tango 6 that's affirmative. Securing the premises .:dancingorange:

WHT.RUS
04-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Check out Chris on front page:

Trout fishing derby draws dozens to Rancho Seco | News - KCRA Home (http://www.kcra.com/news/Trout-fishing-derby-draws-dozens-to-Rancho-Seco/-/11797728/19646756/-/p654bf/-/index.html)

49erbassman
04-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Damn Chris got the paparazzi following him now!!!!!!

Fish on!

redneckpunk
04-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I've seen better looking fish still trapped up in the basin. Wonder how long ago he actually caught that thing? LOL!

~RNP

dabalone
04-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Combat fishing! Got the sniffer swat team going down there, early guys can do the surveillance and figure the tactics, then send CAL.NDN in to clear an area. Area secured.:cheers::cheers:

Ok, Chris cleared out the wrong area, what is that thing?

BaitMaster
04-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Fishing must be good if we're not getting on the water updates :)

I might try tomorrow... had to work this morning :(

And now I can't sleep, lol

RideNfish
04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Saw Chris in the article before seeing it posted here. That be one ugly trout! I think Chris thawed it out from a previous trip and put it on the stinger. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

CAL.NDN
04-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Lmao its slow but there some big ones. Got caught rite after truck came about 11. Lol no it ate the hook and was dead 3 hrs before that ugly pic. Yep all the hawgs ive caught in my time and that ugly lil ******* made me famous lol checknin later.

Jfitalia
04-06-2013, 01:44 PM
yeah fishing was terrible. they didn't stock at all Friday and instead thought stocking at 10am this morning... the girlfriend and i left around 1pm with one hit.

BaitMaster
04-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Well, that sounds just like last year! They didn't stock till the day of....and people were crowded around the truck trying to snag them... heard rumors that people were actually netting the fish that were swimming to shore, and I wouldn't doubt it.

Ill b there tomorrow to try my luck and tye hooks for the family, haha.

Anyone else headed out tomorrow?

RideNfish
04-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Did anyone else see the 5 O'clock news KCRA? Good ole Cal.NDN (Chris) was on TV. He's famous! LOL He said fishing was addicting and he like to watch the "bounce" haha

Chris is in the background at the beginning of the story and about 1 min in he get's his Cameo.

Way to go Chris!!
The Trout are jumping at Rancho Seco | News - KCRA Home (http://www.kcra.com/news/The-Trout-are-jumping-at-Rancho-Seco/-/11797728/19647288/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/7o56o2/-/index.html)

CAL.NDN
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Well very slow thats just the way it is when you plant lasen fish in a dirty warm.water they take a min to adapt. Mabey 25 fish caught today but more like 20 at most the biggest 6.8 i got a 5# and two lil ones like the one that finaly got me famous lol. The bite will as always be better ones they adjust mite be tomorrow or so on. I caught the only fish for the first 5 hrs thats why that dead ugly fish made the news. :). Tryd it all today. Got to on trout jigs tubes. And one soaking rainbow pb. Was slow as molasses but spending tine with friends kicking shooting the **** and relaxing is always a good day and getting to meet the notorious JFIT was cool good peoples i dont care what ya all say :) hey j hope you enjoyed the smoked steel bro and betterluck next time. Get em.boys the trout truck has arrived.

WHT.RUS
04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Chris you're a star now!

On a side note, already looks crowded for my liking. Can't imagine how it will be tomorrow... Good luck to whom ever goes!

49erbassman
04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Good chit right there!

Fish on!

Jfitalia
04-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Well very slow thats just the way it is when you plant lasen fish in a dirty warm.water they take a min to adapt. Mabey 25 fish caught today but more like 20 at most the biggest 6.8 i got a 5# and two lil ones like the one that finaly got me famous lol. The bite will as always be better ones they adjust mite be tomorrow or so on. I caught the only fish for the first 5 hrs thats why that dead ugly fish made the news. :). Tryd it all today. Got to on trout jigs tubes. And one soaking rainbow pb. Was slow as molasses but spending tine with friends kicking shooting the **** and relaxing is always a good day and getting to meet the notorious JFIT was cool good peoples i dont care what ya all say :) hey j hope you enjoyed the smoked steel bro and betterluck next time. Get em.boys the trout truck has arrived.

it was nice meeting you Chris, that smoked steelhead was amazing! I'll be at Amador tomorrow!

CAL.NDN
04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Oh know im jealous now we were just talking how fun and kinda realy miss not hitting slamador this year plus how we always usualy get away from.the crowds and get lots of hawgs. Thanks J nice to meet ya and the misses Jfit.

Starscream
04-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I went out today to the derby I was at the first dock and got there at 7am the fish didn't get dumpped till close to 9 got my first trout at 1030 then hit another one at 11 and lost it and decided it was getting slow so I went homemy only trout weighes 1.68 lbs so dissapointed

WHT.RUS
04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
I hear Bubba is leading with 6.84. Go Bubba!!!

CRABBY
04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Did anyone else see the 5 O'clock news KCRA? Good ole Cal.NDN (Chris) was on TV. He's famous! LOL He said fishing was addicting and he like to watch the "bounce" haha

Chris is in the background at the beginning of the story and about 1 min in he get's his Cameo.

Way to go Chris!!
The Trout are jumping at Rancho Seco | News - KCRA Home (http://www.kcra.com/news/The-Trout-are-jumping-at-Rancho-Seco/-/11797728/19647288/-/format/rsss_2.0/-/7o56o2/-/index.html)Yep I saw him an couldn't believe it!!!Big lug!!!:laugh::laugh:now I gotta be nice to him I guess!!!!NOT!!!!!!!

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Slow slow slow!!!!! Got one at 630 a few missed all day not anyone was getting anything on the far side till round noon.or so then a few were caught. And most of them from bait master and family. Good job Jarrett and jesica. Nice to met you and family. I ended day with a lil.bow and 2 kokes. Yea two kokes wonder how thats possible dan the reporter for fish Sniffer gave em.to me thank ypu kindly. :) i got a smorgy borg now. An Man that was a slow Derby. Hooe jfit did better today.

Katfish
04-07-2013, 06:41 PM
fished it all day for a 5 lb largemouth and a 1.62 lb trout. Saw a ton of cruisers on surface. You could tell the fish just werent acclimated yet. Still had an awesome time. Such a nice lake to spend a day fishing

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Exactly there some definitely there just not ready yet. Where were you at today. The other side where they dumped them.today????

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Yep I saw him an couldn't believe it!!!Big lug!!!:laugh::laugh:now I gotta be nice to him I guess!!!!NOT!!!!!!!

Yea don they need back that camera up.when filming my mug or use a wide lense lol.

Katfish
04-07-2013, 07:11 PM
yes definately some nice ones in there. Should be pretty hot in a few days. I fished the whole lake. Today. The truck with the fish actually pulled in gate right behind me this morning. Was going to fish where he dumped but when i saw the other hundred people going that way i said screw it and headed the other way. Caught the lmb over by the big beach . Caught the trout in the western cove where the water runs in at. Were you out there today? I was in the green camo 12 ft aluminum. Had the dog in her orange lifejacket hangin off the front end all day like a hood ornament. Haha

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Yea they swarm deep when.i seen the truck i was like hell yea everyone going to other side and boy did they pack and run in a hurry. Yea was that way yesterday the only big fish caught were rite out the truck into a lure or jig dam.fish didn't even get but a min or two of freedom before hooked. Exept the 5+ pond i caught that got away and move over towards me later that night. Still some hawgs i.would imagine in there. Man i would love to seen that i love dogs and camo it would made me smile and would thought you were hella cool!!!!!!!! I Didnt see ya was bull ****ing to much i guess.

Katfish
04-07-2013, 08:00 PM
yeah i was thinkin i was pretty hard to miss out there must have looked pretty funny haha. Where were you posted up at? And yeah apparently the derby was a 14 pounder! Would have loved to have hooked into that beast.!

Katfish
04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
derby winner was 14 sorry wont let me edit. Ill send my pics to WLShafor and have him post them for me. I STILL cant get them to work for me for Whatever Reason!

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I was over on other side of the second boat launch in the cove by the bathroom down from.the fish cleaning station and garage where they had weigh in at. Well glad ya did good and had fun. Was a nice day out today.

Starscream
04-07-2013, 08:22 PM
Looks like today was abput jigs and kastmasters

Katfish
04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
ah you were in the combat zone. haha But hey thanks i did have a good time despite not doin as good as i had hoped. The bass was a beaut.

CAL.NDN
04-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Was there anywhere that wasn't combatzone lol..it wasnt so bad when the fish got dumped on other side. Used jigs with no luck today.

Katfish
04-08-2013, 01:12 AM
not too much pressure ouit n the water. I Was Suprised. Bank looked pretty loaded though. I tried jigs and kastmasters both for nada.

BaitMaster
04-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Slow slow slow!!!!! Got one at 630 a few missed all day not anyone was getting anything on the far side till round noon.or so then a few were caught. And most of them from bait master and family. Good job Jarrett and jesica. Nice to met you and family. I ended day with a lil.bow and 2 kokes. Yea two kokes wonder how thats possible dan the reporter for fish Sniffer gave em.to me thank ypu kindly. :) i got a smorgy borg now. An Man that was a slow Derby. Hooe jfit did better today.

It was nice meeting you too Chris! We'll have to meet up on the American someday.... You better hope i don't bring Jessica though, she'll put us both to shame! lol!

You said it though, it was SLOW!

We fished from 9-5pm for 7 fish and some beautiful sunburns:)

6 on powerbait, 1 on my lucky kastmaster. 1 lost at the bank on my lucky rapala too, that i forgot about.

The hottest tactic i saw out there was a guy sight fishing with jigs. It was nice of him to let everybody know what and how he was pulling them in left and right, but in the middle of a bunch of bored bait fisherman!!.... Needless to say, he drew a big crowd that kept casting over Jessica.

Its ok though it was a learning experience for her...

About the 5th time catching her line, she dropped her pole on the ground and said "I'm not fishing until those people leave!". So, i re-rigged her pole, baited it up and cast it out in front of her. A few minutes later it was fish on! Fish on! and Fish on!

Good times :)

BaitMaster
04-08-2013, 08:22 AM
Oh yeah, she's excited about Dan snapping pics of her with her fish! Maybe she will show up in the magazine cheesing?

We ended the day with:

9th -Jessica: 2.30
10th- Myself: 1.84
13th- Nephew Elias: 1.53

I didn't expect to place at all!

And i heard that only 3 children were entered in the "child" portion of the derby!!! WTH?

They need to clear out some weeds and caution tape off an area for the kids by the boat ramp and promote the kids a little more...imho

CAL.NDN
04-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Yea better leave her home :) no that would be great watching her battle some beasts. But can be combat at times lol. Yea i walked over amd i seen a big school right in front of her told her there right there 10 15 feet out wanted to come over but didnt want to crowd you guys out so i set in the dead zone for another 5 hrs but sure enough as i was walking back i seen someone say hey the fish are over there and everyone started packing up and im like the fish will work around no need to crowed them.but they didnt listen . I was over there laughing thoug because she was only one slaying them after they mobed her thinking thats what they get. See you guys next time.

CAL.NDN
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Hell.yea should be that way keep the kids happy and entertained thats what ots about.

CAL.NDN
04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
Yea after me and dan talked for awhile and he interviewed mark and his to lil ones and me im like walk over there behind them.trucks and in the lil cove and talk to that girl over there she been slaying and have a stringer of nice ones he like oh yea where at and he was off! !!!! Yep. She deserves it.

BaitMaster
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Hmmm, tried to post a pic, but keep getting "invalid file" for the link option and when i try to upload from my computer i can select the file, but there is no way of finishing the process after that.

See if this works: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/rsd2013.jpg/)

BaitMaster
04-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Yea after me and dan talked for awhile and he interviewed mark and his to lil ones and me im like walk over there behind them.trucks and in the lil cove and talk to that girl over there she been slaying and have a stringer of nice ones he like oh yea where at and he was off! !!!! Yep. She deserves it.

Yeah she does! There hasn't been any documented evidence of her Whooping me.... until now!

dabalone
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Hmmm, tried to post a pic, but keep getting "invalid file" for the link option and when i try to upload from my computer i can select the file, but there is no way of finishing the process after that.

See if this works: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/201/rsd2013.jpg/)

Uploading from your pc option should work. Make sure the photo is compressed to allowable size, I use a small little program called shrink pic (freeware), just preset the size for your pics and it runs in the background and does compressions automatically for emails, forums etc.

BaitMaster
04-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Uploading from your pc option should work. Make sure the photo is compressed to allowable size, I use a small little program called shrink pic (freeware), just preset the size for your pics and it runs in the background and does compressions automatically for emails, forums etc.

Thanks, ill have to try that :)