PDA

View Full Version : regulation,,, circle hooks and regular hooks regarding trolling and mooching..

ghostfish_slayer
04-05-2013, 08:05 AM
a long time ago we learned to use our electric trolling motor to back troll and slow troll while mooching bait.. what i wonder,, going by the by their definition trolling one would think we should be able to use regular barbless hooks while using the electric trolling motor with bait as long as the electric motor is propelling the boat right..
1. TROLLING is defined as angling from a boat or floating device that is making way by means of a source of power, other

than drifting by means of the prevailing water current or weather conditions..

dabalone
04-05-2013, 08:46 AM
You have to use a different hook while trolling vs drifting? Using bait vs lures? Not sure what you are getting at.

I see what you are getting at after looking at regs. You could argue your trolling motor is being used to "control" your boat and not trolling. So if you are making your way against the current you would be trolling or against the wind you would be trolling. Another example of rules or regs being written in a way that gives too much discretion in interpretation to law enforcement.

Horse Mt. to Pt. Conception: If fishing with bait and angling by any other means than TROLLING1, no more than two (2) single-point, single-shank barbless CIRCLE HOOKS 2 shall be used. The distance between the two hooks must not exceed five (5) inches when measured from the top of the eye of the top hook to the inner base of the curve of the lower hook and both hooks must be permanently tied in place (hard tied).
NOTE: These special gear restrictions apply to each angler fishing for salmon or fishing from any boat or floating device with salmon on board. 1. TROLLING is defined as angling from a boat or floating device that is making way by means of a source of power, other than drifting by means of the prevailing water current or weather conditions.
2. A CIRCLE HOOK is defined as a hook with a generally circular shape and a point which turns inwards, pointing directly to the shank at a 90-degree angle.

Line Stretcher
04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
When you use the trolling motor you are no longer naturally drifting, you're using the trolling motor to control how the vessel is making way.

Wabo Cabo
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
If you are using a mooching rig you will get a ticket using anything but a circle hook, regardless if you are using a trolling motor to control your drift. I hope you have a fat wallet if you try and circumvent the regs with that argument. Motor mooching is not trolling.

iggybabble
04-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Not sure about that Wabo? could be a "Gray" area subject to DFG warden interpretation.....if i were to wish to fish in this manner, i would contact DFG directly and try to get an opinion......if whoever opines that motor mooching is indeed mooching, not trolling you are probably gonna get a ticket.....however, if a DFG official thinks its a legal fishing method, id get a name and number for the DFG guy just in case a field warden sees it differently......