PDA

View Full Version : lure recombination for trolling

Fishinjib
04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
Hey Guys,

I just bought my first fishing boat and am learning the art of trolling. What lure do you guys recommend for high Sierra lakes? Im thinking about going to Hell Hole res. next week.

Thanks,
Jib

Line Stretcher
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Hard to say, my tackle box is loaded with stuff. Some worked last year, some last week and some never worked at all.

Personally, early in the season, I like a bright orange Jay Fair trolling fly for starters. If no hits then I switch to a threaded night crawler and if still no hits, I go to a Water Melon double jointed "Sure Catch". Still no action try a red dot frog and then try floating Rapala's and so on.
Troll the first two slow at about 1.25mph then speed up to 1.75 or 2mph with the lures. Vary your speed and make wide S turns to raise and lower your line(s).

That's just some basic starter info, you'll figure out what works best after a while.

Fishinjib
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Hard to say, my tackle box is loaded with stuff. Some worked last year, some last week and some never worked at all.

Personally, early in the season, I like a bright orange Jay Fair trolling fly for starters. If no hits then I switch to a threaded night crawler and if still no hits, I go to a Water Melon double jointed "Sure Catch". Still no action try a red dot frog and then try floating Rapala's and so on.
Troll the first two slow at about 1.25mph then speed up to 1.75 or 2mph with the lures. Vary your speed and make wide S turns to raise and lower your line(s).

That's just some basic starter info, you'll figure out what works best after a while.

Thank you good Sir. I will try all this next week. Threaded worm works like a charm off the bank. but i have not trolled for trout yet.

clb101
04-05-2013, 04:53 PM
If you do not have lead core line or down riggers, and are going to just use mono line, then i would start off with a countdown rapala, 3 in. in trout and or german brown pattern. Both of these lures worked well at cherry and beardsley this year. Also a deep diver shad rap worked. If you have the down riggers or lead core line then that opens up a very large assortment of lures to use, to many to mention....