PDA

View Full Version : San diego yellowtail?

FishnBeer
04-07-2013, 08:27 AM
i went down to san diego a couple years ago on a big party boat out of point loma. everyone around me was catching yellowtail but i could not get bit. caught a bunch of rockfish to fill our bags. but recently i have had a hankerin' to go down there and give it another shot. i was thinking of making a 4 day weekend out of it, drive down friday, fish sat and sun, come back on monday

when does the season start getting good down there? i want to actually catch one this time lol
the month of may might be my only option this year....

dabalone
04-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Have you thought of taking a long range boat? They run trips to San Benitos Island, been there on a couple open water spearfishing trips and have seen the long range boats while there. We get to see the fish firsthand since we are in the water with them and it is amazing the numbers at times. The kelp forests are pristine and full of fish, I did a couple tank dives to check out the deeper water around the island hoping to see a black sea bass and get some pics, its loaded with rock species. We were mainly after the pelagics, and speared yellowtail in the 40 pound class. The fishing boats load up, back at the dock we saw them unloading huge catches including yellowtail, tuna, wahoo, mako, bottomfish.

Long boat ride, the dive boat we take is old and slow and it probably took us 30 hrs running time to get there but we stopped and hit at least one small island and a pinnacle on the way to break up the monotony. The big long range boats are much faster and have all the comforts so the trip on one of them would be nice. If you can make that trip you will be glad you did. If you want a real adventure, try Guadalupe, even further down and out.

FishnBeer
04-07-2013, 04:12 PM
well i am interested in doing a trip like that, it sounds like a blast. but, i only have 2 rods i deem worthy of such a trip (avet sx on okuma cedros rod & penn jigmaster on fenwick rod). if i had one more rod big rod and an extra grand laying around i would be all over it. i really just want to do a couple day trips this time, and be able to head back to dry land and do some boozing.

what time of year would be best for this?

dabalone
04-07-2013, 05:00 PM
well i am interested in doing a trip like that, it sounds like a blast. but, i only have 2 rods i deem worthy of such a trip (avet sx on okuma cedros rod & penn jigmaster on fenwick rod). if i had one more rod big rod and an extra grand laying around i would be all over it. i really just want to do a couple day trips this time, and be able to head back to dry land and do some boozing.

what time of year would be best for this?

Late spring. May, June. Dates can vary some depending on species you are most interested in. I would imagine the best dates book fast so give the boat you are interested in a call and see what they say.

vdub
04-08-2013, 09:34 AM
It's still a little early for the YT's to come out. The schooling YT's come up aorund late may-june and might hang around until july/august. The only ones you'll catch right now are the homeguards that are hanging around the islands/kelp beds. The YT's have been slowing down in population more and more each year, so it's going to be a tough investment for you to venture down there to get you a sure catch YT.

Your best bet is to check the 3 landings for their fish counts and see which 3/4 day boat will finally track some down.

Seaforth Landing Fish Counts provided by SportfishingReport.com (http://www.seaforthlanding.com/pages/fishcount.php)
Point Loma Sportfishing Fish Counts provided by SportfishingReport.com (http://www.pointlomasportfishing.com/pages/fishcount.php)
Daily Fish Count -- H&M Landing (http://www.hmlanding.com/fcount/fcount.htm)

Though it is the furthest away, my favorite is the San Diego out of Seaforth. It was the best crew when I lived down there for sure. To increase your odds, make sure you cast the sardine far, away from the boat. When they're chasing boils, you have to be able to chase up to it, shoulder to shoulder and get your jig or sardine out there. Being able to chuck a good surface iron onto the boil is key for locals to hookup to a big striper. Those locals account for most of the YT numbers, and most of them get caught on the iron.

FishnBeer
04-08-2013, 07:05 PM
bought a couple irons when i was down there last. a lot of guys were throwing green colors so i got a salas 7x and a "candy bar" (?) tried the yo-yo jigging but didnt work out for me. maybe this time things will go better

http://i.imgur.com/KMmCzhGl.jpg

so the setup i think i am going to go with is my avet sx on 8' okuma cedros - has 50 lb braid i think i will do like 20 ft fluorocarbon leader maybe 25 lb? w/live bait hook. then my jigmaster 500 w/30 lb mono on 7' ugly stick tiger and use irons on that

thoughts?

FishnBeer
04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
i also have a 4/0 senator 113. its not the h or h2 model it is older post style and has a pretty slow retreive. should i bother bringing it?

vdub
04-08-2013, 09:21 PM
It never hurts to bring all your gear.

The jigmaster 500 is a classic iron reel, and a favorite out there. Just practice slinging one of those things, because that will be the most important part. I'm going to be completely honest with you, I built myself a custom jigstick with a penn 505HS jigmaster on it and i've fished it twice without being proficient at slinging that thing. Number of YT's caught on that rod? Same number as you.

Candy Bar is an old brand that's been discontinued, but a legend amongst San Diego fisherman. People claimed it is the best and it didnt matter what color it was. Many people will tell you surface iron colors don't matter as long as they swim correctly. I personally don't believe that because i have caught fish on all of my scambled egg irons. Salas, High tide, Sumo, Candy Bar, whatever it is, just get it in front of the damn fish and it will bite if it's hungry. Where did you get those jigs from? SquidCo? The bottom one looks like a refurbed candy bar or a candy bar rip off which are common at SquidCo.