PDA

View Full Version : Half moon bay deep reef limits

untalan1
04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Met up with friends at pillar pt harbor to go out on a friends boat , left out of jaws at 6:30 and arrived at deep reef by 8:30 to flat waters and lite winds.Had 9 fish on the early bite with fish in the 8-12# range farmed a few before the bite turned off around 1100 am when the high tide topped.Trolled for about another 1 1/2 when the tide changed we finished our limits with a triple.We had 2 doubles a triple and a quad all fish landed and a fur bag took one on the hook at the boat.Best opener in years , All fish caught from 25' to 40' on watermelon apex,red krocadile and rsks.Fom the sounds on the radio others were doing just as well with guys having early limits.Efren

salmonid
04-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Nice job! Any size to them?

untalan1
04-07-2013, 07:08 PM
All 12 fish were 8 to 12 lbs.They were loaded with krill,meat was bright red.
All the other boats were also catching mostly all the same size.The good thing is that all the fish caught were all natives.

salmonid
04-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Sounds like good size fish. Lots of krill in them means they are finding lots of food and can keep growing, awesome! Most of them were probably hatchery fish since they don't clip all fish they release from the hatcheries. Only ~10% of salmon from the central valley are spawned naturally from what I understand.

Best,

All 12 fish were 8 to 12 lbs.They were loaded with krill,meat was bright red.
All the other boats were also catching mostly all the same size.The good thing is that all the fish caught were all natives.

iggybabble
04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like good size fish. Lots of krill in them means they are finding lots of food and can keep growing, awesome! Most of them were probably hatchery fish since they don't clip all fish they release from the hatcheries. Only ~10% of salmon from the central valley are spawned naturally from what I understand.

Best,

Salmonid is correct, regarding adipose fin clips. lots of krill is really a positive sign.....the last boat i worked on before retiring, Sausalito's F/V Outer Limits had limits or near limits both opener weekend days

salmonid
04-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, bud! And the loaded with krill statement should translate into pretty big fish upriver this year, which is way cool! Looking forward to meeting them for sure!

Best to you,

Salmonid is correct, regarding adipose fin clips. lots of krill is really a positive sign.....the last boat i worked on before retiring, Sausalito's F/V Outer Limits had limits or near limits both opener weekend days