PDA

View Full Version : please healp setup!!

bigfishonly
04-08-2013, 06:53 AM
does any one have advice on flasher vs. dodger with barbless hooks, size? Can these be used behind a drop sinker or only down rigger? How many hooks are legal while trolling? On central coast what bait works, chovy. herring, sardines? Sizes, 4-9"? If anyone can share advice this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Chad

nayr
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM
If your on a charter boat,
Use a kone-zone flasher or something similiar.as far as what bait will work they are likely to hit any of the baits you mentioned, but i prefer herring over chovies because they are tougher.
If your own boat,
Go wild and throw some lures into the mix, most stick to similiar color patterns. Pink, watermelon, and purple all come to mind.

iggybabble
04-10-2013, 08:32 PM
If your fishing on a charter boat, you may not have the option of using a flasher or dodger because they tend to cause more tangles........for that matter, you dont need a lot of junk or gadgets to catch salmon regardless of whether your on a charter, or on a little boat with one or two other anglers. Im not sure if any of the bait packers are producing any premium tray pack anchovies, and often the loose pack bag anchovies are better suited to using as cut bait. if you dont know how to properly rig a "crowbar" style, long shank trolling hook ( and very few recreational boaters know how to rig baits on these hooks) your gonna need something like a Rotary Salmon killer bait holder, or similar. I prefer a smaller bait, 4-5 inches on average, no matter whether its a Chovy, sardine or herring. Ive fished out of all the bay area harbors, and got well over a 1000 days of salmon fishing behind me, and you need to overthink all this......if your on a private boat, i like the versatility and cost savings that a downrigger offers over a sinker release and a $6 or higher sinker.....

FishingTone
04-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Both will catch fish, but flasher is better vs. dodger trolling for salmon b/c of the rotation. I ran 5/0 barbless hooks on all my trolling lures/baits. People use FBR and RSK with anchovies/herring on sinker release without a flasher or dodger. Iíve never seem anyone use sinker release with a flasher or dodger. Anchovies seem to be the choice of bait for salmon when mooching or trolling b/c of their size.

Good luck!

nayr
04-19-2013, 08:28 AM
The best salmon scores from last season out of bay area boats were off the new easy rider and the new rayyan.. both run kone zones on every rod in the water, unless you dont want it... just sayin.

LILALILFA
04-20-2013, 09:12 AM
does matter for line choices like braid-mono-flouro?