PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Report

Rugby Lock
04-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Took the boy out to RS this morning as it'd been a month and we were Jones'n for some fishun! Packed up the truck the night before and headed out in the morning. Got there at about 0830 and went and set up on the north shore in the second pier from the ramp. Threw in three rods with the following baits: 1st Rod - Rainbow PB 2nd Rod - Nightcrawler inflated with air and anise (sp?) oil and air. 3rd Rod - Same as second with a garlic MM. Sat down and waited... and waited... and waited... nada... Tried several different combos during the day and got skunked. Ah well... decided to pack up and try and find another spot. Hiked around the lake a bit and tried a couple more spot... nada... Then the boy noticed the boats at the dock on the south side and wanted to check it out so I said why not! Fishing has been unproductive so... Drove down and rented a boat with a fanch schmancy lectruc motur. Took it out and had my first try at trolling! Nada... But that's just a side note... About 20 min into the cruise I noticed that we weren't going so fast... so I reeled in my lines and headed back towards the swim beach. Called the office there and let them know. Barely made it back to shore just south of the swim beach and called it a day (they didn't charge me for the rental... how nice. If I had been the manager I would've not only not charged anything I would've given a free two hour rental in the hopes I'd come back!). Rancho Seco sure seems to be Rancho Sucko for me but hey, I got to hang out with my boy all day so it's all good!

Starscream
04-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Yea the trout derby was all last week so I don't think they planted any more this week.

Rugby Lock
04-13-2013, 04:26 PM
A friend of mine went last week and he said not many people were catching much so I thought I'd try my luck. I think the lake is too warm for trout at least where you can reach it from the banks.

WHT.RUS
04-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Like I mentioned before, the theory is that fish take couple weeks to aclamate to their "new" home. They should start biting soon as the derby was a fail when they decided to release on the same day that derby was on...

Rugby Lock
04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Think my next trip will be up in dem dar hills! RS is a nice lake but the country is much prettier in dem dar hills. Thanks for the tidbit of knowledge on when fish will start to bite after a plant. But what about the fact that Land Park ponds are fished out not too long after the plant?

Jfitalia
04-15-2013, 07:31 AM
Think my next trip will be up in dem dar hills! RS is a nice lake but the country is much prettier in dem dar hills. Thanks for the tidbit of knowledge on when fish will start to bite after a plant. But what about the fact that Land Park ponds are fished out not too long after the plant?

Well for one the fish are coming from a much shorter ride since they are coming from DFW and not Lassen. Plus most of the ponds tend to have cool water cycled in where as RS is very very warm. Plus RS didn't stock that many fish for the derby.

Sensi Hooks
04-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Ahh man I was hoping for a Rancho Seco on switch ahhhh man. Ill have to check it out soon. :sheep: