PDA

View Full Version : McCloud / Iron Canyon

insearchoffish
04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Worked in Redding area tuesday and wen. then helped a friend move in McCloud on thurs so when that was all finished I was itching to do some fishing. I arrived at the McCloud res launch thursday evening around 5ish. But not before stopping to take a quick picture or two.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/MtShasta_zps4569a757.jpg

1 bank fisherman and one truck and trailer in the parking lot. I launched the yak which I almost lost in the high winds on the drive up, had to stop multiple times and re-tighten the straps. Anyway started the troll with firetiger rapalla on one pole and dodger worm combo on the other. It didnt take but a few paddles once the line was out and I hooked a little rainbow. Caught another little dink and decided to try for some browns. Rigged up the leadcore and dropped a few colors out witha rapalla and trolled around some points and the island area. Was getting late so headed back to the launch just in time for one of my favorite types of catch. The last minute on the reel in slam! Got this pretty little brown on dodger worm combo.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/AW14p5_zps53965690.jpg

Cooked up some ramen and passed out, awaking in the night feeling a little cold I had to zip up the sleeping bag and throw on my beanie. Got a few more hours of good sleep and was up and on the road at first light around 6ish. The thermometer on the truck read 32 degrees and there was a nice layer of ice covering the truck. I thought I was finished with ice for a little while but I guess not. Hopefully that is the last for a few months. Driving the back-road from McCloud to Iron Canyon Reservoir was a great experience I will not soon forget. If there is one thing I truly enjoy as much as fishing is taking a long windy scenic route to get there. This one was only 18-20 miles but the views were epic. I should have stopped to take some pics but just enjoyed it as I drove, taking mental notes of future camping and fishing spots. The river below McCloud Res looks awfully fishy :) Found the turnoff to the launch / campground and was off fishing in near record time. Got a few hit no sticks, then a couple long distance releases followed by one short distance release. Was starting to get frustrated but the surroundings made up for it.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/Onthewater_zps78154a4c.jpg

There were juvenile bald eagles catching fish left and right and screaming, putting on quite a show. I made my way west of the damn and started catching fish myself. Continued paddling around the next point and found the hotspot. Caught 15 or 16 rainbows before the sun hit the water and the bite started to die. Hers a pic of one of the better specimens, all fish were very healthy except for a few had copepods.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/zCleanspecimen16quot_zps9a584483.jpg

I still had quite a drive ahead of me so I started to work my way back towards the launch. Had a few more hits along the way and was just about out of worms so decided to try something new, opened the jar of fake bait and started trolling again. The fish went wild for it, maybe it does outfish all other baits. Ill have to do some more field testing and Ill keep you all posted. Heres another shot of the lake..

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/zAnotherView_zps753f570b.jpg

I ended the day with 23 rainbows and was back loaded in the truck on the road by 4 o’clock . Drove through the interesting town of Big Bend and made my way down the hill. A real pretty time of year up there a lot of trees and shrubs blooming and the grass is all green. Probably a fire pit in the summer but a real nice place in the spring. Speaking of pits one of these days Im going to have to check out all of those reservoirs along the Pit river and see what they hold

sierra fisherman
04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Beautiful scenery and trout, great report!

CAL.NDN
04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Man.keven you one lucky guy.

LURKER916
04-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Great report! You are slaying em this year!

dabalone
04-14-2013, 11:42 PM
The Iron Canyon area in the Fall is spectacular!

Bainter1212
04-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Kevin strikes again! Great report.

RideNfish
04-15-2013, 07:30 AM
The fish shiver in fear when they see the silhouette of your yak!!! Very nice dude. I hope we can hit your secret area close to your house for some striper soon!!

CatBuster
05-26-2018, 05:19 AM
old thread, but your lucky.

i live not to far from iron canyon res. the indians and dopers in big bend are well known for breaking into and/or burning cars and trucks to the ground in that area. its bad enough the large majority of the locals here dont even fish there. there have ben instances of fishermen being shot at, stabbed and beat up repeatedly.

its terible as there are some nice fish in that lake, but none worth loosing a rig or getting killed over!