PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Season

Harvester
04-15-2013, 07:57 AM
How is your turkey season going??

BigUnInDaBoat
04-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Slow, too much wind, then rain and even snow last night in Twain Harte. I've bagged one bird.

miwokfisher
04-17-2013, 01:19 PM
been chasin one particular tom last two trips he has won,wind and rain has not helped either got rained on yesterday not too fun sportin a soakin wet ghilly suit.

Harvester
04-17-2013, 01:43 PM
to miwokfisher (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/miwokfisher.html)
Just a little advice. Find another turkey and leave this one alone for at least a couple of weeks. If you don't you will not get him and you will wast your whole season. You might have a chance if you give him a rest and hope know one else gets him. He knows your calling and he will not come to you now. I've been hunting turkeys in California since the first open general season back in 1978 or 1979. Take my advice and find another turkey for now. Wild turkey are "wild" And they learn fast. If you have hunted him two or three times and he has gottin away, he will not come to you. Your call now will never let you get close enough to get this bird. Either he or the hens with him will go another way to get away from your call. Your only way to get him is to be where he is going and bushwhack him, but that's no fun. You can also take another hunter (caller) with you and you might be able to fool him. Your calling and hunting tactics will probably not work on him. Find another turkey. If you don't get him this season he may well be there next season and you can get him then.

PS you can also give me a shout and I can help you out. I have my limit(3) already. Good luck!

miwokfisher
04-18-2013, 08:38 AM
to miwokfisher (http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/members/miwokfisher.html)
Just a little advice. Find another turkey and leave this one alone for at least a couple of weeks. If you don't you will not get him and you will wast your whole season. You might have a chance if you give him a rest and hope know one else gets him. He knows your calling and he will not come to you now. I've been hunting turkeys in California since the first open general season back in 1978 or 1979. Take my advice and find another turkey for now. Wild turkey are "wild" And they learn fast. If you have hunted him two or three times and he has gottin away, he will not come to you. Your call now will never let you get close enough to get this bird. Either he or the hens with him will go another way to get away from your call. Your only way to get him is to be where he is going and bushwhack him, but that's no fun. You can also take another hunter (caller) with you and you might be able to fool him. Your calling and hunting tactics will probably not work on him. Find another turkey. If you don't get him this season he may well be there next season and you can get him then.

PS you can also give me a shout and I can help you out. I have my limit(3) already. Good luck!
thanks for the advise Harvester, since this is my first year my callin skills need a lil improvement. ive been fortunate enough to have someone,who like yourself has been at it for 30 yrs coachin me.i first picked up my bow about 7 months ago im dialed in out to 50 yrds,ive called in and bagged 2 birds 1 from 17 yrds the other from 32 yrds and i know it would of never happened like that if not for the input from from fellow hunters like yourself.

aka Americansteel
04-30-2013, 06:26 AM
I hunt a large amount of property up in mendicino county where you never know where the birds will be or if they even want to talk. 2 weekends ago my brother and I found a Tom on the front side of the mountain that didn't want to come check out our stuff. Upon returning to camp we found out our parents (yes my mom hunts too) had found 4 birds throughout the day. The next morning we strike up a gobble about 1/2 mile uphill and call these 2 jakes down.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/30/jatynehy.jpg

Typically I wouldn't have harvested these birds, but after our freezer has been void of wild turkey for 2 seasons, I was taking no prisoners this year.

Line Stretcher
04-30-2013, 06:51 AM
I'm probably going to be given heck for this but I have about a dozen nice sized turkeys just over my back fence, in the oak trees and on my front lawn early in the morning. My problem is that I can get a clear legal shot. By legal I mean without a house within 100 yards.

Imagine the frustration of having to drive 50 miles to shoot a turkey when the birds in your own backyard are bigger and healthier.

To be honest though, there isn't much sport in shooting an animal that will walk up to you and eat out of your hand. I guess the drive is worth it if it puts the sport back in it.

Bainter1212
04-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Can you lasso the birds? Trap them?? That's not technically shooting......I have thought about this too. There is a flock that wanders a suburban neighborhood here. They were pets until their owners moved.

Harvester
04-30-2013, 09:24 PM
311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game. Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns.
(d) Falconry.
(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations).
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.
(g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e), and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used.
(h) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits may be taken at any time during the open season by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed 24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under this section shall be immediately killed and become a part of the daily bag limit.
(i) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
(j) Coursing dogs may be used to take rabbits.
(k) Archers hunting during any archery season may not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in archery hunting during an archery season.
(l) The use of live decoys is prohibited when attempting to take resident game birds.
(m) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).
(n) Crossbows, except for provisions of Section 354(d) and (g).
(o) Dogs may be used to take and retrieve resident small game.

Harvester
05-11-2013, 07:54 AM
Had a GREAT season. Called in gobblers in the first 5 hunts out this year. Harvested three gobblers (my limit) the first three Saturdays out. The first two were jakes and the last was a nice 19+ pound Tom. Took an old friend out the fourth and fifth Saturdays of the season and got him a jake both trips. The last Friday and Saturday were tough. I took the old man with me Friday and we only heard two gobbles at first light, and they were at least 3/4's of a mile off. They rest of the day we heard and saw nothing. Went back to the same spot on Sunday and there were turkey all around us but we could not get them to come in. They answered every call but would not show. On Sunday I took the old guys youngest kid, he's 32 years old. For the season i called in 13 turkeys. There were 8 males , of which we harvested 5, along with 5 hens. I was hitting them just right this season. This helps make up for all those seasons when I didn't hit them right. Better to be lucky then good anytime.14340