PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Vets Day May 18th

Seon
04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Let’s do it again!! Last year we hosted a day's fishing for the Disabled Vets that were transported from Veterans Home Yountville (http://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetHomes/Yountville.aspx) formally known as the Old Soldiers Home. With the weather warming up, it’s time to host another Vet’s fishing day event.

Where: Brannon State Park
When: May 18 (Armed Forces Day)
Details to follow

Let’s mark that day to take a Vet out for a day of fishing. So if you have a boat and can take one or two Vet out please pm me so that we can start a roster.

Roster

Crabby
Redneck
Dabalone
Salmonid
Fern-Dog
Team Mc Fishing
wearegods1
Twoelk
Jerks_r_free
Seaduck
Steve079
Reel Fun
Sportygirl
Esquivez
stelo415
Fishinka
Pintail
Polebrother
Gone Catchin
RideNFish
Capt Jack

List UPDATED 5/15

FISHING DAY INFO

Purple Heart Angler’s Disable Vet Fishing Day on May 18th at Brannon Park.

We ask:

Each Skipper please bring a sandwich and beverage for each Vet that you have on board.
Provide rod/reel and tackle
If possible, a little remembrance token for each Vet on board. They won’t be able to use any fishing gear, so baseball cap, T-shirt or a McDonald gift certificate.

Itinerary

Meet at Brannon State Park’s launch parking area by 0700 on May 18th

Do not pay at the gate. Parking pass will be issued.

Intro and Vet/Skipper assignment 0800

Return to the launch by 2 pm

BBQ to follow.

dabalone
04-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Seon a great idea, my son and I would be honored to take a couple of our patriots out.

CRABBY
04-15-2013, 03:45 PM
It's a sticky ya pretty ol fart,LOL....I'll be there,hopefully with Rocky!!:jumpinggroup:Hope we can get some people to camp for a day or two an make a little fest!!!...Don

Seon
04-15-2013, 04:49 PM
Crabby, I'll camp Friday and Saturday night.

For all: Last year we had 15 Skippers with boats from various local fishing forums. So if you belong to another forum, please spread the word.

Please list how many Vets you can host in your boat.
Also, we'll need members to crew, so if you're available and don't have a boat, we can certainly need your help.

CRABBY
04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Crabby, I'll camp Friday and Saturday night.

For all: Last year we had 15 Skippers with boats from various local fishing forums. So if you belong to another forum, please spread the word.

Please list how many Vets you can host in your boat.
Also, we'll need members to crew, so if you're available and don't have a boat, we can certainly need your help.LOL,probable don't need to many kayakers..:stirthepot:,If Rockey is gone I'll need a guide/crew!!2 vets max depending on the Vet...:captjack:

redneckpunk
04-15-2013, 06:59 PM
We'll see if we can clear schedule but cant commit boat as of right now. My original "slashdown" after the restoration wasnt set until the following weekend. But according to the admiral (aka g/f) I'm ahead of schedule so should be able to finish it. LOL!!

~RNP

salmonid
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM
I have a boat and can get out that day. However, I don't have much experience fishing here. If there's a vet or two that knows how to roll that's good, otherwise if there's a crew member available to "guide" that'd be great. Let me know if I can help out, I'd be happy to.

Best,

redneckpunk
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
For anyone thinking about doing this, I would encourage you to do so. Last year was a great time. You dont need to be a top notch striper fisherman to provide a good time for these Vets. The group of 3 I had in my boat last year had more fun just being out on the water for a boat ride than fishing. Hell, even CRABBY volunteered his extensive striper knowledge (hint, the first time his boat boat had ever touched the Delta was pre-fishing the day before).

One thing I do suggest however is if you do commit to Seon that you will provide your boat, please be sure you can do so. Last year we had several commit and not show up, leaving us to scramble last minute and add extra Vets to some of the boats. These Vets didnt let us down, let's not let them down!

~RNP

CrappieJed
04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Don I beleive I can crew with you. PM me let me know what to bring gas money, bait, lures, gear SHRIMP etc if you have Okie crewing with you perhaps I can talk my old buddy Linesides into going

Cj

Seon
04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Hey Jed, it'll be good to see you and lineside again...for that matter Okie too :dankk2:

CrappieJed
04-16-2013, 11:26 AM
You bet be alot of fun and help take the greatest people on earth for day of fun fishing I would like especially spend it WWll vet my uncle Bennie WWll vet recently passed and I like share his experiences as gunner in the Navy during the Okinawa invasion...and he being the last man to shuttle and talk to pvt Ernie Pyle and off course share their stories as well

Cj

CRABBY
04-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Don I beleive I can crew with you. PM me let me know what to bring gas money, bait, lures, gear SHRIMP etc if you have Okie crewing with you perhaps I can talk my old buddy Linesides into going

CjJed,let me give Rocky a call an see whats up,he was my teacher last year but mostly all I did was drive the boat an maintain speed an watch depth,we were just feet from the bank.Otherwise your on,okie didn't go last year.I'll call Rocky today an let ya know this afternoon Buddy....Don

CRABBY
04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Hell, even CRABBY volunteered his extensive striper knowledge (hint, the first time his boat boat had ever touched the Delta was pre-fishing the day before).

~RNPOf course we got 12 nice keepers that day,only took about 3 hr!!!!The next day we had some issues though....LOL..

CRABBY
04-16-2013, 11:50 AM
RNP,found the owners manuel to the FF I gave ya,it still work?Ya want it???...Highjack Don

CrappieJed
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Jed,let me give Rocky a call an see whats up,he was my teacher last year but mostly all I did was drive the boat an maintain speed an watch depth,we were just feet from the bank.Otherwise your on,okie didn't go last year.I'll call Rocky today an let ya know this afternoon Buddy....Don
Sounds good

Cj

CRABBY
04-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Sounds good

CjJust yalked to Rocky,he is gonna do some ck'in on stuff an get back to me,kind of in limbo right now!!!The usual for me!!!LOL...Don

CRABBY
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
I have a boat and can get out that day. However, I don't have much experience fishing here. If there's a vet or two that knows how to roll that's good, otherwise if there's a crew member available to "guide" that'd be great. Let me know if I can help out, I'd be happy to.

Best,With all the boatless striper guys here that shouldn't be a problem.....Don

Fern-dog
04-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Seon,

Not sure yet if I have an open day on that date, but if I do, I'm up for providing my boat with myself and one crew member for two Vets or one Vet who is wheelchair bound. I will confirm by the 1st of May or sooner.

Fern~Dog

CRABBY
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Just yalked to Rocky,he is gonna do some ck'in on stuff an get back to me,kind of in limbo right now!!!The usual for me!!!LOL...DonHaven't heard back yet!!!Sorry bout the delay...Don

CrappieJed
04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
It's a sticky ya pretty ol fart,LOL....I'll be there,hopefully with Rocky!!:jumpinggroup:Hope we can get some people to camp for a day or two an make a little fest!!!...Don
Don you mentioned a fest as well you know how we could really kick this thing up a notch and have a great time for all...if there is electricity we should all pitch in and hire Lineside's band. His band is hired by the vets to play the vet stand down's. the vets loves their music. Great catalog of songs. This could turn out great. I guess I better run that by Lineside too

Cj

Team Mc Fishing
04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Add my boat with room for 3 vets on board. I'm doing the PHA event this Saturday at Camanche with Randy Houston. It's the 4th annual event for this one and I have only missed the first one. I can be there this year for this one since it's on my off weekend. I will see how many of my other boats can join us. I will put the word out on my team page right now. Looking forward to meeting you guys in person!

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

CRABBY
04-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Don you mentioned a fest as well you know how we could really kick this thing up a notch and have a great time for all...if there is electricity we should all pitch in and hire Lineside's band. His band is hired by the vets to play the vet stand down's. the vets loves their music. Great catalog of songs. This could turn out great. I guess I better run that by Lineside too

CjJed,sounds like a great Idea!The only power is in the RV sites by the ramp!Seon may be there camping,but the Vets don't camp out,they load up an leave after the get together after fishing an the BBQ if they have one this year!!Seon is gonna have to provide some more definite info,or Team MC(Doug)might be able to!As for me no one has called me back so I'll take that as a no they arn't interested,so we are on if it happens....Don

Team Mc Fishing
04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm bringing my camper and I will stay Saturday night to Camp and fish with anyone who wants to hang out for the weekend.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

CRABBY
04-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Well so far 5 for sures an some maybes!!!Come on guys we did good last year!!!!!Wheres all the Sniffers at?It's only a month away!!!Lets get cookin,we can make it a fest combo for us an show a bunch of Purple Heart Vets we still care!!!!!!You will be rewarded by the smiles,thanks an gratitude from our vets.....Don

49erbassman
04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I would love to go but that's the weekend were having both my sons b day parties. Wife would kill me and not softly

Fish on!

CRABBY
04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I would love to go but that's the weekend were having both my sons b day parties. Wife would kill me and not softly

Fish on!LOL,Glad I don't have to worry bout that stuff anymore!!!:yahoo:

Polebrother
04-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Well so far 5 for sures an some maybes!!!Come on guys we did good last year!!!!!Wheres all the Sniffers at?It's only a month away!!!Lets get cookin,we can make it a fest combo for us an show a bunch of Purple Heart Vets we still care!!!!!!You will be rewarded by the smiles,thanks an gratitude from our vets.....Don

I signed up as a volunteer boater for this event on another board so not sure your number of projected participants reflects the accurate total.

lineside
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I sure would like to help out,but we will be playing for the vets that day in Oakhurst.You guys are doing a great thing for those men who have done so much for our country.You guys make me proud to call myself a Fishsniffer. Jed if the bite is slow,sing some of those old country songs.You got the voice.

Seon
04-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Thought I'd bump this as a reminder that these Vets served our country and would appreciate on spending one day away from the Vet's Home.

Last year Randy, President of the Purple Heart Anglers (PHA) organization provided a great BBQ spread at day's end where volunteers and Vets were able to share a meal and share.

Skippers with boats will not have to pay for launch because the PHA is a non-profit organization.

CRABBY
04-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Seon,a free launch for us this year,that's cool!!!!...Don

CRABBY
04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Hey guys we could use a few more confirmed boaters an deck hands!!!Less than 3 weeks away!!Thanks ......Don

CrappieJed
04-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey guys we could use a few more confirmed boaters an deck hands!!!Less than 3 weeks away!!Thanks ......Don
Don what's your plans. You going down on Friday and camping Friday and sat night

Cj

redneckpunk
04-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Still scrambling to get boat done but even if its not done by then Tawnya and I will be there for whatever help is needed.

~RNP

CRABBY
04-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Don what's your plans. You going down on Friday and camping Friday and sat night

CjJed,that's the plan if it takes place.....:banana:

Seon
04-21-2013, 08:11 AM
I've updated the Roster.

For Polebrother, I've included your name on the other forum's roster. Thanks so much.

For 49erBassman, wouldn't it be neat to have your son join you in hosting a vet for the day? Then have your wife join us afterwards at the BBQ that the Purple Heart Anglers org is hosting. Then have your son's B-party on Sunday...just a thought :cheeky-smiley-024:.

CRABBY
04-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Rob,have the B-day party at the picnic area with the BBQ,your celebrating the kids B-Day with the Vets would probable make em more Happy than the fishin!!!It would give them an opportunity to see an share in the benefits of all the sacrifices they all have made....Don

DRF
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Seon, I'm interested.
Please pm me with some info about what I would need to do. I have a 20 foot boat.

Thanks,
Dennis.
Sent from my Droid

seaduck
04-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Seon

I should be able to make it again this year had a good time last year i have room for 2 vets a nd can take someone to crew

wearegods1
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Let’s do it again!! Last year we hosted a day's fishing for the Disabled Vets that were transported from Veterans Home Yountville (http://www.calvet.ca.gov/VetHomes/Yountville.aspx) formally known as the Old Soldiers Home. With the weather warming up, it’s time to host another Vet’s fishing day event.

Details to follow

Let’s mark that day to take a Vet out for a day of fishing. So if you have a boat and can take one or two Vet out please pm me so that we can start a roster.

Roster

Crabby
Redneck
CrappyJed
Dabalone
Salmonid
Fern-Dog
Team Mc Fishing

Will offer my services. can take up to 6 people. Always out there to serve those who have served us. If I get some help from some strong men, we can get wheelchairs in too.
fishinjames.com

Seon
04-23-2013, 05:08 AM
wearegods1, thanks so much. I've added you on the roster :cheerleader::dankk2:

For All: Let’s remember that the Vets whose only contact with the outside world are family visits that are far and few between. This one-day AWAY from the Old Soldiers Home is a heaven sent. We had a female Air Force Vet last year who only wanted to walk Brannon’s ground, to see the birds, rabbits and such, to sit and watch the launching of boats…to smell the Delta air…her outside world contact for the day.
As harsh as it may sound, the Old Soldiers Home is their last stop. BTW May 18th is Armed Forces Day.

Please, please, if you have a boat or can crew, join use in giving a Disable Vets a memorable day.

twoelk48
04-23-2013, 06:52 AM
Seon I can bring my boat and tackle and can take two vets on my boat. I will let you know if I need a crew member but first let me check with a couple of guys. Kent

Seon
04-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks Jerks_r_free and Seaduck. I'm confident that the Vets will enjoy the day riding with each of you.

I'll post the particulars next week.

CRABBY
04-23-2013, 04:19 PM
OK,it looks like it's all coming together,Kent an Dennis are both pros can help us all,now we just need Mike T !!!As for me I lost my deck hand,oh well,SOOOOOO I need a deck hand that has all the gear needed an knows how to set up and use it for the Vets!!I will drive an follow your directions!!My boat,an gas!!+ I will drive slow,LOL!!!!PM me if ya want!All I ask is you be there!...Don:signfishon34hi6zv:

Steve079
04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Hey guys. Kent called me this morning, I'm in as a deck hand for Kent.

Reel Fun
04-23-2013, 08:14 PM
Don.......do you have a count on anglers? I might be able to take out 2? Stripers will be tough to get....maybe a few down streamers? Sounds like a lot of fun! If I can do it... I would be honored to take a couple guys out and hopefully hook a few? I will watch this thread to see if we can get a count on vets attending/needing rides?................RF

Seon
04-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Thanks Reel Fun and Steve, glad to have you two on board.

So far we have 12 Skippers and a couple of volunteers.

CRABBY
04-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Don.......do you have a count on anglers? I might be able to take out 2? Stripers will be tough to get....maybe a few down streamers? Sounds like a lot of fun! If I can do it... I would be honored to take a couple guys out and hopefully hook a few? I will watch this thread to see if we can get a count on vets attending/needing rides?................RFRonnie I believe it depends on us as to how many Vets come,we let them know how many we can carry an they bring em...Don

Steve079
04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
I've touched base with a couple of friends/fellow hookers, to see if we can get some more people to help out.

Reel Fun
04-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned yet......but I plan on supplying bait & tackle including loaning them a rod for the day. I would assume most will need a rod & tackle? We should contact a few local bait shops to see if they would donate some bait...or give us a discount?.....RF

Seon
04-25-2013, 07:19 AM
RF, yes they'll need to use the Skipper's rod/reels and tackle and bait if you're anchoring.

Last year I trolled with two on board and had them sit in chairs. They insisted on holding the rod and the excitement in their eyes when a Striper hit was priceless.

I'll post the particulars for the Skippers and crew next week.

Thanks Sniffers...you're the GREATEST! http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/applause.gif http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/applause.gif http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/applause.gif

Seon
04-29-2013, 07:04 PM
We're still in need of volunteers with boat and individuals to crew. The fishing day is rapidly approaching so please tell a friend or two that maybe able to help.
Here's the informan

FISHING DAY INFO

Purple Heart Angler’s Disable Vet Fishing Day on May 18th.

We ask:

Each Skipper please bring a sandwich and beverage for each Vet that you have on board.
If possible, a little remembrance token for each Vet on board. They won’t be able to use any fishing gear, so baseball cap, T-shirt or a McDonald gift certificate.

Itinerary

BBQ to follow.

Seon
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
I just received this email from Randy, Pres PHA.

Good morning,

Since last year was so great, the folks at Yountville are excited about this
one. They have asked if we can take 30. How many boats do you have? We could
possibly have about 40 or more participants.

Give me an update as soon as possible please.

Randy

Current count is 15 boats but I'd feel much more comfortable in getting 5 more Skippers to accommodate the 40 Vets.

Let's make it happen Sniffers!!

CRABBY
04-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Come on guys,entry an launch is FREE!!!!You can keep the fish!!Can ya all just spare 1 day here???:clap: Thanks to all....Don

Team Mc Fishing
04-30-2013, 09:56 PM
Spoke with Randy today from PHA, I an working on getting more boats right now. I have helped setup and run these events for PHA the past 3 years in Camanche.
I am working on getting donations rounded up as well to help with lunch setup and I will update you as soon as I get more info this week. Looking forward to this years event out there.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

Seon
05-01-2013, 04:11 AM
Hey Team Mc, thanks so much.

Seon
05-02-2013, 04:26 PM
The old adage, “be careful for what you wish for, because you may get it” became true.

Got this today from Randy, Pres PHA.

Last year the participants from Yountville came on one bus. They all had a great time visiting, eating and being out with you fishing they went back home and told everybody about the day they had. Well, you said you all wanted it to be bigger and better than last years disabled veteran fishing trip, so, this year they are sending two buses. Between Yountville and the other signups we’re looking at about 45 participants this year, so far. This is going to be fun.
Randy

Now I desperately need 5 more boat to accommodate the additional Vets that are anxious and excited in attending the 2nd year Disable Vet’s Fishing Day. There's just a couple of weeks left before the event and it would be very unfortunate to have to turn away the handful of Vets.

What would it take for those “fence sitters” to be convinced that we need you?

CRABBY
05-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Now I know times are tough but Seon says ya don't have to pay a cent to get in an launch!!We have a ton of Sniffers that live close to Brannon,your boat size an whatever don't matter,we an the Vet's don't care!!!Come on we even let RedNeckPunk join us last year in his getto north river,LOL.I think his guys had the most fun!!!You can bait fish,troll,or whatever ya feel like doing,the Vets won't care!!!All they know is they are out an away from the rest home,free to enjoy whatever comfort we can offer em!!SO I encourage any of you that can,sign up,be counted an make a Difference!!!...CRABBY>>>>PS Plus ya get a free BBQ lunch an maybe that cute gal will be back this year!!!!

Pintail
05-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Sign me up. I can take 2. Not sure of my deck hand situation yet. He may be another boat.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Team Mc Fishing
05-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I already have a couple of my team members bringing their boats. I'm rounding up more. I have a record of getting more boats than we have a need for. I'm not giving up until we come rolling in there with several boats to show our appreciation. I will have total boat count available shortly.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

CRABBY
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I already have a couple of my team members bringing their boats. I'm rounding up more. I have a record of getting more boats than we have a need for. I'm not giving up until we come rolling in there with several boats to show our appreciation. I will have total boat count available shortly.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide ServiceDoug,You and your team are whats makes us great!!!!....Don

Team Mc Fishing
05-02-2013, 05:30 PM
I have at least 4 boats for sure, capable of taking about a dozen vets. I have a few other guys checking their schedules at work and we will have room for almost that many more if they all make it.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

redneckpunk
05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Can I commit 75% right now? LOL!! I should have everything buttoned up on the boat by then, baring any unforseen issues. Hoping to yank it out of the garage this weekend and fire it up to be certain she still runs after all I've put her through this winter, and get her in the water next week or weekend for a final shakedown. I've been actually working at my regular job all week so not a lot of time and energy when I get home, but loading up on the Rockstars for some major progress this weekend.

And Don, I think you'll be surprised at just how much ghetto is now missing from her. My have to start refering to her just as a Redneck North River now.

~RNP

Seon
05-02-2013, 07:49 PM
I have at least 4 boats for sure, capable of taking about a dozen vets. I have a few other guys checking their schedules at work and we will have room for almost that many more if they all make it.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

Oh my!!! This certainly is a blessing. Thanks Doug.:clap:

Hey Red, if you need help with your boat...don't hesitate to call Don :old: :laugh:

sportygirl
05-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Now I know times are tough but Seon says ya don't have to pay a cent to get in an launch!!We have a ton of Sniffers that live close to Brannon,your boat size an whatever don't matter,we an the Vet's don't care!!!Come on we even let RedNeckPunk join us last year in his getto north river,LOL.I think his guys had the most fun!!!You can bait fish,troll,or whatever ya feel like doing,the Vets won't care!!!All they know is they are out an away from the rest home,free to enjoy whatever comfort we can offer em!!SO I encourage any of you that can,sign up,be counted an make a Difference!!!...CRABBY>>>>PS Plus ya get a free BBQ lunch an maybe that cute gal will be back this year!!!!

The cute Blonde??? lol Jill will be there!!!! Ive been in touch with her to try and find out if I can bring anything for BBQ waiting to hear back!

I gave up my seat on the boat last year to make room and stayed behind to help BBQ.. there were a few Vets that stayed behind as well.... One of them sat so peacefully on a bench just watching the water and the boats coming in and out. She was just so happy to be outside!!!! I was so touched by the whole event last year we had to make it there this year! with or without the boat. But now that its needed, I will be staying out of the garage..touching no sharp objects
so it can get done!! LOL

Seon
05-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Thanks so much Sportygirl, we really appreciate your contribution.

Team Mc Fishing
05-03-2013, 07:43 AM
A couple years ago I heard that Jill, who helps us put together lunch and wanted to be more involved with the events, told Randy she felt as if she didn't do much.
When he asked her what did she do all day then while the event was going on, she replied that she just sat around at the bbq area and visited with the veterans.
She said all that she did was sit around talking......

That's when Randy said, exactly!
She realized that what she was doing was no less important than us bringing our boats and taking the vets out on the water.

For those of you who have been to a PHA event, you already understand. In the case of those who are going for the first time, let me explain before you get there about what you will understand later.

These events are not about a company, an organization or recognition for a big sponsor. They are simply about saying thank you to these veterans. We don't discuss their war stories, where they have been or how long they served.
We simply say thank you, then we show them thanks.

I took out the first person I met through the PHA on a fishing trip a couple of years ago. It wasn't a disabled vet, but a man who's 19 year old son was leaving for Iraq shortly. I spent the day on the boat with them, watching them interact.
The father was a guy who works heavy construction, rides a big Harley and just looks like a guy who you wouldn't want mad at you. By the end of the afternoon, he was talking to me alone thanking me while another guy on my team was teaching his son how to clean their catch.

This man told me thank you for what I did for them. I told him all I did was take them fishing for a day. He said no, I did allot more than that. I didn't realize yet even how much I impacted them. A few days later his son was on his way back to Oklahoma to the base. The father called me and said his son told him that night on the way home, he felt like a 10 year old boy that day, fishing with his father, without a care in the world.

That's when I realized that my "just taking them fishing", was really a bigger thing than I first thought. That's how hopefully you will all feel after this event.

Sorry for the long story, but I'm a very serious supporter of the PHA. Most organizations spend so much of their funds on administrative costs and not the intended individuals. PHA has been putting on events for 4 years now. Just at official events, over 800 disabled veterans have been out hunting and fishing. This doesn't include the guys we take out later on after we make new friends at the events.

Thank you to everyone and for Seon making an effort again this year to put this event together. I'm just glad to be part of it this year, since I'm off work for this one. Hope to see you all there!

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

sportygirl
05-03-2013, 08:12 AM
EXACTLY!!!!!! well said!!! I don't think a single person caught a fish last year on our boat!!! But they kept thanking me... laughing giggling... Even tried to give RNP the prizes they won in the raffle! It was amazing how they were thankful to us when really we should be GRATFUL and thankful to them!!! This is a one day event for us... but for them!!!! Like Randy said...they are still excited and remember that one day from last year!!!! And it really is like he said! Its kinda just like a day hanging out with friends!!!

Seon
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Even tried to give RNP the prizes they won in the raffle! It was amazing how they were thankful to us when really we should be GRATFUL!!!

Speaking of raffle prizes, we won't do a raffle this year. If possible if each Skipper and/or crew donate to their guest an item such as coffee mug, t-shirt, Mickey D gift card..just a little tid-bit item.

Last year we raffled fishing items such as rods, reels, lures, etc. But reflecting back, I doubt if they'll ever use those items unless some of us called and invited them to fish after the event. Useful items I mentioned would be a better choice to give.
Thanks

CRABBY
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Can't add much to this thread that the last bunch of posts haven't already said!!Thanks guys an gals!!!We do a lotta talkin an bla,bla,stuff here but it's nice to see so many step up when it counts....Don:beer:

Esquivez03
05-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok guys Checking in. Doug asked us to come out and help out with this event. I have been trying to get the day off.... I just confirmed my day off and I will be there to help I can accommodate 2 vets. I have a 19.5 centerconsole with a bimini top to keep them shaded and an onboard BBQ to give them some warm food lol! and no I cant feed all of you out on the water!! lol
Count on my boat Seon.

B. Esquivez
Team Mc Fishing Pro staff

stelo415
05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Hey guys "stelo415" here from team mc i will also be out with the rest of my team for this event helping the veterans out there hook up on some fish and i will also be recording some of the action on my helmet cams and make a awesome video for the guys to remember this amazing trip!!!! Come join us and support our veterans.

Seon
05-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Be still my heart!!
Thanks to both of you Esquivez and stelo415. I've added you to the list.

CRABBY
05-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Gotta give it up to Team MC guide service,when the Sniffer needed help,now an in the past he has been there!!Way to bring your team together for us an the Vets Doug!!!...Don

Reel Fun
05-03-2013, 06:56 PM
Tides for Rio Vista starting with May 18, 2013.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon /Low Time Feet Sunset VisibleSa 18 Low 5:19 AM 1.2 5:53 AM Set 1:42 AM 46 18 High 10:10 AM 2.9 8:13 PM Rise 1:28 PM 18 Low 5:11 PM 0.2

Reel Fun
05-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Pretty sure you cant get worse tides for bait fishing!!!..... Great Halibut tides! .RF

CRABBY
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Pretty sure you cant get worse tides for bait fishing!!!..... Great Halibut tides! .RFSo what do ya think Ronnie,just troll,mooch or????...Don

Reel Fun
05-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Well trolling might be ok? Really good deep water sturgeon tides! Like down at the PG&E power plant in 60ft + water. But that's a squat n rot type of fishing looking for only a couple of bites all day? I have never seen such weak tides back to back like this? Toss in a little wind and it will be unfishable on the pick without 2 anchors. Trolling should still be going a bit in 2 weeks....? I know a couple really good bait fishing spots and with a decent tide sardines get bit all day long which is fun for action! Maybe Montezuma Slough trolling deep? Going be interesting trying to hook fish......but we will have fun either way.....just a lot more fun hooking fish or getting bites......RF

fgmedic
05-03-2013, 08:06 PM
You can count me in to help out our vets and show them an awesome day. I can accommodate two with a deck hand. 22ft Silverline shes big old and ugly but she floats and can put us on fish.

Fred
Team Mc Fishing Pro Staff

sportygirl
05-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Big old and ugly??? sounds like my honey!!!! LOL Team MC Awesome bunch you are!!!!

redneckpunk
05-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Big old and ugly??? sounds like my honey!!!! LOL Team MC Awesome bunch you are!!!!

Old? Around here I'm just a kid. LOL!!

~RNP

Seon
05-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Thanks a bunch fgmedic and welcome to the Sniffer.

redneckpunk
05-06-2013, 05:47 PM
PM sent Seon, but I will say it here....Count me in!! The tin can will be done, or at least fiahable. LOL!!! I can take 2 Vets but will be needing a deck hand since Sportygirl will be volunteering at the BBQ.

~RNP

sportygirl
05-06-2013, 06:49 PM
unless I'm needed to drive? oh lord help us all.....lol I will go where I'm needed!!!

Delta_Rose
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Seon- I had a great time last year, and wish I could join you guys this year, but I may have to work that weekend and cannot commit at this point.

I know you all will show the vets a great time:thumbsup:

fishingka
05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi Seon,

Pintail asked me to be his deckhand but my wife and I decided we would like to use our boat to take a couple of the Vets fishing this year. I'm not sure how to sign up but we want to because it sounds like a lot of fun. How do we sign up?
Joel

Details to follow

Roster

Crabby
Redneck
Dabalone
Salmonid
Fern-Dog
Team Mc Fishing
wearegods1
Twoelk
Jerks_r_free
Seaduck
Steve079
Reel Fun
Sportygirl
Esquivez
stelo415

UPDATE 4/29: FISHING DAY INFO

Purple Heart Angler’s Disable Vet Fishing Day on May 18th at Brannon Park.

We ask:

Itinerary

BBQ to follow.

Team Mc Fishing
05-08-2013, 04:57 PM
I think you just signed up fishingka!
Welcome to the list of boaters.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

CRABBY
05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Hi Seon,

Pintail asked me to be his deckhand but my wife and I decided we would like to use our boat to take a couple of the Vets fishing this year. I'm not sure how to sign up but we want to because it sounds like a lot of fun. How do we sign up?
JoelWelcome to the Sniffer fishinka,an thanks to Pinhead,whoops,LOL, I mean Pintail for bringin ya!!!!......Don

fishingka
05-08-2013, 10:09 PM
I think you just signed up fishingka!
Welcome to the list of boaters.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

Great. We can take two veterans on our 21ft Seaswirl. Looking forward to it.

Joel and Kristina on the Big J

Team Mc Fishing
05-09-2013, 10:14 PM
We are going to have a great time, and thank you for initiating the event again this year Seon. I'm sure we will show these guys a great time and they will go back talking about this for a long time.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

Seon
05-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Sorry for late reply but been out fishing and camping and...oh well :undecided: .

Thanks fishinka and wife for stepping up to help.

Delta Rose, thanks for your note. Hope to see you there but works comes first.

Sportygirl, which ever you decide, we'll be glad to see you there.

Doug, no thanks is needed. It's my pleasure to have helped the Vets who helped the good U. S. of A. in the time of our needs.

I wanted to wish Happy Mothers day to all the Sniffer's ladies.

Reel Fun
05-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Are these vets showing up with fishing licenses in hand? RF

Team Mc Fishing
05-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Under the PHA, a permit is pulled and anyone fishing during the events as far as the veterans and volunteers are concerned, are covered by a special use permit for that day. Randy has to get it approved for each organized event through DFW. So no need to worry about being checked for their license, if you do get a check out done on your boat from a warden during the time on the water, you can give them Randy Houston phone number and he will verify the special use permit number and the name of the veteran with them.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

Reel Fun
05-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks TMF!

redneckpunk
05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
FYI im 100% in. LOL!! took the tin can out for a shakedown today and with the rough water and wind, if nothing fell apart I think its safe to say its not going to

~RNP

Seon
05-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Read your other post where you've done an outstanding job on your boat's rehab.
See you next weekend.

dabalone
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Looks like a good bunch will be there, I am terrible at remembering names. Also so we know who is with the group, maybe some name tags we can pin or stick on? Most of us just know screen names, maybe your forum name with your first name below it?

Gone Catchin
05-13-2013, 06:33 PM
PM sent Seon My good friend Ed and I would be honored to show 2 or 3 Vets a good day of Catchin and how we just give fish a boat ride. Looking forward to seeing and meeting the other skipper’s and crew members. Let’s go fishing boys. Tim (Gone Catchin)

Seon
05-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi Skippers and volunteers,

This coming Saturday we’ll meet at the Brannon State Park launch ramps at 7 am. Just drive to the gate and tell the attendant that you’re a Purple Heart Anglers Disable Vet volunteer. They’ll issue you a pass at no cost.

The Vets will be transported on a bus or two and should arrive about 8 am.
I’ll kick it off with a short intro giving recognition to the volunteers, to Randy Pres. PHA and to the Vets.

Last year, most Vets were ambulatory with one or two on the stand-up/sit-down, push type chair. A couple of the guides volunteered to take those with very limited movement. The rest of the Vets will be assigned by show of hands from Skippers and on how many he/she can host and then marriage them with Vet(s). Nothing complex.

Recognition to the the Vet for largest fish caught, however, if he/she decides to keep and bring back to Yountville, may I suggest you bring a large enough plastic bag with ice for them to transport back.

Please be back to the park by 1400hrs...that's 2 pm for the landlubbers :grin: .

As I mentioned earlier, please bring a sandwich and or two with beverage for each Vet that you plan to host. Last year Frito-Lays prepared a goody-bag filled with chips and snacks and will provide the same this year.

Also, if you can spare a small (non-fishing gear) gift for each Vet you’re hosting…just a remembrance for them to take back to the “Old Soldier’s” home to show to the other Vets that couldn’t make it.

For those Forum members that didn’t sign up but would still want to come join us for the day or even for the BBQ that afternoon, please come. You’re more than welcome.

Thanks you each of you for donating your time, equipment, knowledge and generosity. I salute each and everyone.

See you all on Saturday.

Reel Fun
05-14-2013, 06:02 PM
I talked to Barry Canavero (Fish Hookers Sportfishing) and he went over the tides with me for Sat. He said it was a small income to start the day and shallow/deep trolling would be our best bet to hook a fish. If the tides turns to outgoing in time (after noon) and the wind stays down we could anchor and bait fish? He said shallow trolling at the mouth of the Sac and below down to the west bank (dairy) would be best... but its the tail end of the striper run and it will be tough. I don't know if anyone will target sturgeon.....but a few fish have been caught lately in Casche (deep) on eel and with that small slow tide 40+ feet deep would be fishable. But that's boring fishing up until that rush of fish on!! With the company we have that may be too much to handle as well? We should all communicate throughout the day to maximize our opportunity. If anyone has any recent info please post up so we can get a few fish for our vets!!........RF

RideNfish
05-14-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm posting on two forums but count me in for deckhand help. I have no gear to share not having a boat and all but will follow captains orders. :-) I have trolled, plugged, and bait fished for striper but am no expert.

Thanks,
Doug

And to be clear. This is where we are meeting? Zoom out for perspective. Green arrow...
http://goo.gl/maps/JryCM

redneckpunk
05-14-2013, 09:28 PM
And to be clear. This is where we are meeting? Zoom out for perspective. Green arrow...
38.115811,-121.688911 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/JryCM)

No No NO! 50ft or 2 rows to the east. LOL!! Thats the place!!

Fishingcole.com
05-15-2013, 08:30 AM
I was really trying to be boat #20 but I just couldn't convince wifey to change plans. I think its great what you guys are doing. Good luck out there and have fun!

Fishingcole

Seon
05-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm posting on two forums but count me in for deckhand help.
Thanks,
Doug

38.115811,-121.688911 - Google Maps (http://goo.gl/maps/JryCM)

Thanks Doug for stepping up! Send Capt Jack a pm on the Outcast, he's looking for a deck hand.
I'll pm him too.

For Fishingcole, we understand how that goes. Thanks for the thought.

Seon

Team Mc Fishing
05-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Fishing Cole hopefully will be at our next event next month. He is on board to join Team Mc Fishing as a Pro Staffer and Veteran Volunteer with us for PHA.
We are really looking at doing more events with the veterans all over. Seon, I'm going to be talking to you Saturday about how we can setup another event for later in the fall out there also.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you.
See you Saturday morning at the ramp!

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

Reel Fun
05-15-2013, 01:39 PM
its a little further but if we were at Melones or Berryessa we could show these guys a great day! Maybe next time? RF

Team Mc Fishing
05-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Third Saturday in June is the New Melones event I'm hosting. As soon as get the rest of the info together we will be posting it up also. We did Camanche last month and we are trying to organize regularly scheduled events. More to come on this day in June.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

dabalone
05-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Ok guys, not the best time of year for delta stripers and the wind could be a problem. Whats your strategies, we are pluggers and fly guys not much into trolling or bait. I am thinking and has already been mentioned trolling shallow. We are familiar with the area of launch more for bass than for stripers so I am thinking running more north and dragging ratl traps along rock banks and tule lines in areas we have confidence in from plugging and flyfishing. Thoughts?

redneckpunk
05-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Wind could be an issue, forecast at 13-15mph WSW, but the guide I exchanged PM's with over the weekend said tides will be good for trolling and its just a matter of finding the fish. He suggested WB,decker, dairy, mouth of sac, DW, and SJ. For those worried about wind I would suggest back side of Decker or over to the SJ on 3 mile slough, Fishermans Cut, or old River. Not much experience dragging rattle traps but have been successful throwing them along the rocky levees for ditch pickles.

~RNP

Seon
05-15-2013, 07:02 PM
I use "wind finder" that predicts wind won't kick up until after 2 pm.
We'll be eating and "shooting the breeze" by then...pun intended :laugh:.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/rio_vista_delta

As for where to fish?....I can't contribute because I've been fishing the deep blue for Salmon.
But I'll be searching just like everyone else. If and when I do find them, I'll report on ch 68.
See you all on Saturday.

Reel Fun
05-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Small income til about 11am then a OK outgo which I might do a little baitfishing around Decker? Sardines and shad will get action... I only hope the wind stays down enough to keep the boat strait? So a couple hrs trolling and a couple hrs baitfishing is my plan? I say us captains start a biggest fish pool? Say 5-10 bucks per boat and the vets from the winning boat split the pot or the captain and the vets split it? RF

Team Mc Fishing
05-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Small income til about 11am then a OK outgo which I might do a little baitfishing around Decker? Sardines and shad will get action... I only hope the wind stays down enough to keep the boat strait? So a couple hrs trolling and a couple hrs baitfishing is my plan? I say us captains start a biggest fish pool? Say 5-10 bucks per boat and the vets from the winning boat split the pot or the captain and the vets split it? RF

I'm not sure about starting a money pool as we are there for enjoyment and the variation of volunteer boaters has everything from licensed guides down to occasional fisherman. I don't want to hijack Seon on this one, but as far as being involved very actively with PHA and all, I think having a money motivator is a bad thing. Donated raffle prizes, things like the gift cards for lunch places and such is a cool, but turning a veterans day into a tournament or derby is exactly what was proposed to me for the Melones event and I shot the idea down. Not trying to knock you for throwing out ideas at all. Just stay focused on what we are going out there for.

Team Mc Fishing
Guide Service

dabalone
05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Wind could be an issue, forecast at 13-15mph WSW, but the guide I exchanged PM's with over the weekend said tides will be good for trolling and its just a matter of finding the fish. He suggested WB,decker, dairy, mouth of sac, DW, and SJ. For those worried about wind I would suggest back side of Decker or over to the SJ on 3 mile slough, Fishermans Cut, or old River. Not much experience dragging rattle traps but have been successful throwing them along the rocky levees for ditch pickles.

~RNP

Sometimes we drag ratl traps around flats and edge of weed beds to "find" the fish, then pull out the fly gear, worked very well most of the time. With our limited trolling experience figure using that as our primary, silver with blue back has been the color of choice when doing this. I know very little about trolling deep, speeds, set up and so on.

redneckpunk
05-16-2013, 01:49 PM
The fish are still there! Capt. David Hammond of Delta Pro Fishing posted this morning on his Facebook page that he had limits in the boat by 0830. And i know he's been trolling. Im ready to get this thing started today!!

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishingfrieda
05-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for volunteering your time and money to take care of our vets, very kind of you all. Hope everyone stays safe out there, and catch MANY fish!
:party-smiley-020::cheerleader::9997dp::salute3sh::Gone_fishing:

PHA President
05-19-2013, 12:15 PM
To all the volunteers who came to Brannan Island yesterday for the Second Annual Disabled Veterans Fishing Event, Thank you,
Without people like you who care about the wellbeing of our disabled veterans this program does not exist.
To Seon and your Fish Sniffer friends and to Doug who brought six boats from Team Mc Fishing, Thanks
It was an honor to be a part of your day.
Randy Houston
President, Purple Heart Anglers
PS Thanks for coming out to play.

fgmedic
05-19-2013, 08:20 PM
It was a pleasure Randy! I'm very grateful for our vets, thank you for everything you have done for our country! The least I can do it take them fishing and show them a great time on the water.

Fred
Team Mc Fishing Pro Staff