PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana River Report and How to Stream Fishing Video Report!

Calicanuck
04-16-2013, 09:50 PM
I noticed that the California Fish and Wildlife started to stock the Santa Ana River again for the season so I decided to check it out and see if there were any rainbows swimming around. I haven't fished the river for a couple of years and it is amazing how much it changes over time. Previous hot spots are now a bust and other premium spots have formed as the river evolves with time. There weren't that many fish in the river from the recent stocking. So either they have been caught which is possible since I saw a lot of people out, or they are not stocking it like previously. I caught 5 rainbows and a brown trout in an hour of fishing so not too bad. All catch and release so they are still there if you want to go give it a try. I was just using a Berkly Power Nymph on a 1/16th ounce jig head. Check out my video for more tips on fishing this stream. I hope you enjoy the video and please subscribe to my channel if you'd like. I'm trying to make easy video more of an episode with helpful tips for fishing.

http://youtu.be/8b0WsOszWwA
Calicanuck

crazyfisher
04-17-2013, 12:35 AM
awesome video Calicanuck...keep up the excellent work :)

never got into jigging for trout, might have to try it sometime. Do you just tie the jig by itself. So line to jig. And then let it drift?

thanks again for sharing :)

Calicanuck
04-17-2013, 06:13 AM
awesome video Calicanuck...keep up the excellent work :)

never got into jigging for trout, might have to try it sometime. Do you just tie the jig by itself. So line to jig. And then let it drift?

thanks again for sharing :)

Thanks, Yeah the jig is tied directly to 4 pound fluorocarbon line.

Captain Compassion
04-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Excellent post and video. Spent many a day on that river when I lived in So Cal. You have the technique down. :).

CC

Rugby Lock
04-17-2013, 07:27 AM
Nice video! Thanks for the report! Other than the logs and pools what do you look for?

Calicanuck
04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice video! Thanks for the report! Other than the logs and pools what do you look for?

So this being a very small stream most of the riffle areas are very shallow and would be difficult to fish with a jig. Maybe drifting a bead head nymph on a small float would work better. Also right behind water falls in the white water. Under cut banks, in tree roots where the bank is erroded away. These all seem to be places to find fish. But best is deep pools, under rocks and under logs.

Jfitalia
04-17-2013, 01:47 PM
nice video. the only advice i would give would be directed towards your first fishing spot. when jigging in that close to shore it would be better to set the hook straight up instead of to the side. that would put the hook in the upper jaw. that would help in those missed hooksets early in the video.

Calicanuck
04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
nice video. the only advice i would give would be directed towards your first fishing spot. when jigging in that close to shore it would be better to set the hook straight up instead of to the side. that would put the hook in the upper jaw. that would help in those missed hooksets early in the video.

In theory you are correct, but if you look closely you'll notice a lot of overhead branches I was avoiding with the side set. Its not worth snapping your rod on the branches above you. Although this particular rod already has a cracked tip that I taped as you may notice. I'm hard enough on rods as it is, haha!

wearegods1
04-18-2013, 08:08 AM
that was a fun video to watch. I do the same thing in my back yard stream. Never knew there were trout in that river. Was on the Jarupa Fire in early March and wish I would have brought my fishing pole to the fire now.

Marv
04-18-2013, 08:18 AM
Cool video! When fishing shallow rivers/streams fish that jig weightless. If I could only pick 3 trout lures for the rest of my life, it would be jigs, jigs, jigs!!!! With a jig you can fish behind the spinner or spoon guys and mop them up. Grasshopper color is king and white, pink are also good choices.

crazyfisher
04-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Cool video! When fishing shallow rivers/streams fish that jig weightless. If I could only pick 3 trout lures for the rest of my life, it would be jigs, jigs, jigs!!!! With a jig you can fish behind the spinner or spoon guys and mop them up. Grasshopper color is king and white, pink are also good choices.

fish the jig behind the spinner or spoon?

So run a line behind the spoon/spinner to a jig? and just reel in slow?

haven't tried that yet. Interesting

Marv
04-18-2013, 09:13 AM
fish the jig behind the spinner or spoon?

So run a line behind the spoon/spinner to a jig? and just reel in slow?

haven't tried that yet. Interesting

No, sorry I meant if your fishing and stop at a hole or stretch where people are fishing and they leave, fish it with a jig and you pull twice as much fish as the other lure or bait guys. Sometimes I cut the skirt of a jig and attach it to my spoons treble hook.

sja
04-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Very cool video! Looks like a lot of fun!!

Captain Compassion
04-18-2013, 06:19 PM
If I could only pick 3 trout lures for the rest of my life, it would be jigs, jigs, jigs!!!!

Jigs are for Crappie and panfish. :hitoverhead:

CC

CAL.NDN
04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Yep ive out fished doug and his jigs twice and marv once and no jig on my line lol :) just the tug and fish from my panthers or eggs or power worms just saying though ooops did i just type that

CAL.NDN
04-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Jigs are go to.in some streams and rivers though if all else is failing they will prevail. :)