PDA

View Full Version : American Shad Grub Color Question

westcoastdave
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Other than champagne and chartreuse, what other color grubs have worked well for american shad?

BIG_ONE
04-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Hot pink and white works as well. I know a few guys who uses fire tiger and even black at times. Champagne and chartreuse is still the hot color in terms of grubs.

SteelHunter
04-19-2013, 11:47 AM
I've had a lot of success with orange grubs.

try different color combos. It's fun to catch them on all sorts of things.

I also did well last year using those very small thin bladed Dick Nite spoons.

Marv
04-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Dick Nite, I chuckle every time I read that name :lolk: I can't imagine a mom and dad saying "yes, we'll name the little guy Dick Nite". Wonder if he ever got teased.

I have to say I have never fished for them but from reading previous posts I have learned that almost all the neon stuff works along with whites and other basic colors. Best to have a several colors on hand if possible as the change their color preference often.

Bigg A
04-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Besides grubs.....crappie jigs in all different colors work pretty good under a float

SteelHunter
04-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Besides grubs.....crappie jigs in all different colors work pretty good under a float

I've been wanting to try for shad using a jig and float.

the couple places on the AR where I shad fish....everyone bounces bottom. I'm wondering if using the float would mess with everyone elses drift.

I should try the float and jig this year.

BIG_ONE
04-22-2013, 02:22 PM

the couple places on the AR where I shad fish....everyone bounces bottom. I'm wondering if using the float would mess with everyone elses drift.

It can as using a bobber will drift a little faster than most others. Find a spot with plenty of room.

westcoastdave
04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
To me drifting with split shot is more fun than float fishing.

ilovefishing
04-22-2013, 11:00 PM
hot pink never fail on me.

Bigg A
04-23-2013, 04:35 AM

It's better to move away from the crowd if everyone is on the bottom....and yes....you should give the jig and float a try this year. It can be a little frustrating at first but once you get the hang of it....it can be deadly!!!

Bigg A
04-23-2013, 04:40 AM
To me drifting with split shot is more fun than float fishing.

drifting.....floating.....fly fishing....its all fun to me with a silver bullet on the end of the line!!!

BeefCakeScout
04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
I need to find out which line I need for my fly rod

aka Americansteel
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
There's a certain grub that comes in GOLD that I like to use

MarkdaShark19
04-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Never had to use anything else besides Champange pink. It has always worked and worked the best for me. Ryan last year I did good using my intermediate sinking line, but something with a sink tip might be better.

Wishnbfishn
04-25-2013, 02:00 PM
I've tried them all and always go back to champagne. Go small. 1/32 or 1/16 head. Light line - 2 or 4 lb. Float with bobber or drift. Both work, although I've had my most epic trips in the evening with a float.

Wishn

dicknite
04-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Dick Nite, I chuckle every time I read that name :lolk: I can't imagine a mom and dad saying "yes, we'll name the little guy Dick Nite". Wonder if he ever got teased...

I did get teased a lot! But, to be fair to my parents, when I was born, the term "Dick" meant "Detective" - hence, Dick Tracy...

I do have a lot of fun with my name too tho, so let the ribbing begin!

Dick

dicknite
04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
I also did well last year using those very small thin bladed Dick Nite spoons.

We sell quite a few Dick Nite's for Shad. Gold, 50/50 Brass & Nickel, Red and Chartreuse Heads, along with several others.

westcoastdave
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Dick, I use your shad scent on all my shad grubs!! I don't know if it makes a difference, but I figure it can't hurt and can only help. Keep up the good work and it's great having you on this message board.

kneeshefisher
04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
I am surprised no one said purple... That is my number one color to use along with fire orange.:cool::cool:

WhopperStopper
04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Clear with silver fleck or glow wth silver fleck are awesome colors to try. I've had some success with rootbeer with gold fleck as well. Chartruese with silver fleck is also a good color. As far as jigheads, pink , white, and chartreuse are always good colors. Experiment with different jighead/grub color combinations until u find what work. Most important though is finding the depth they travelling or holding at and finding the lane they are travelling in. Focus on seams between fast and slow water.

WhopperStopper
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Dick, I use your shad scent on all my shad grubs!! I don't know if it makes a difference, but I figure it can't hurt and can only help. Keep up the good work and it's great having you on this message board.

On the topic of scents, I like to squeeze a few drops of pro cure krill super gel in my packs of grubs. I'm not sure if it helps at all like u said but I guess it gives me a mental confidence boost

dsa2780
04-29-2013, 09:11 PM
On the topic of scents, I like to squeeze a few drops of pro cure krill super gel in my packs of grubs. I'm not sure if it helps at all like u said but I guess it gives me a mental confidence boost

I was just thinking of doing that last night! I figured that shad feed on Krill in the ocean, so that extra scent on the jig might force them to instinctively bite. Same concept as guys who use smelly jelly and sardine wraps on kwikfish for salmon.

WhopperStopper
04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
I was just thinking of doing that last night! I figured that shad feed on Krill in the ocean, so that extra scent on the jig might force them to instinctively bite. Same concept as guys who use smelly jelly and sardine wraps on kwikfish for salmon.

They may even feed on smaller stuff like plankton. They have very fine gill rakers which would suggest that but at the very least it eliminates human odors

westcoastdave
04-29-2013, 11:02 PM
The Dick Nite scent is a combination of shrimp and krill. Pro-Cure also makes a shrimp/krill combo scent. I have also heard that just plain krill will work.

SteelHunter
04-30-2013, 11:08 AM
We sell quite a few Dick Nite's for Shad. Gold, 50/50 Brass & Nickel, Red and Chartreuse Heads, along with several others.

I did well with the pearl body and pink head and the brass body with pink head.

awesome product!