PDA

View Full Version : Jig Fishing on Big Bear Lake and Sweet Underwater Shots on GoPro

Calicanuck
04-19-2013, 09:48 PM
I was up at Big Bear Lake the past weekend and it seems to be the tail end of the spawn. Things are kind of thinning out. Many people were fishing, but I didn't see many fish caught. I think I was having the best luck on mini jigs close to shore. Check out this Video Report and How to on Jig fishing I made from my day fishing. I got some nice underwater shots with lots of underwater footage. I'll Have to make another video because even caught some trout doing the spawning shake. Will post once I've gone through the hours of footage. Ended up landing 4 nice bows and losing a few more near shore. Wasn't too anxious to land them, I'm more into catching them on camera, haha.

I also had a slip bobber out with a night crawler for nothing all day. Quite strange since I usually do well this way.

http://youtu.be/F-DuqY5EDi0
Please Subscribe if you'd Like!

Calicanuck

Marv
04-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Cool video, I love jigs for trout. I never tip mine though, I see on other videos that a lot of the so. Cal guys do tip their jigs most of the time. I tell people once you get the jig down it will become your new favorite lure.

Calicanuck
04-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Cool video, I love jigs for trout. I never tip mine though, I see on other videos that a lot of the so. Cal guys do tip their jigs most of the time. I tell people once you get the jig down it will become your new favorite lure.

Yeah when I started using them I was very impatient and didn't understand the technique. Once you get the hang of it there are days when it is none stop action. Most of the time I don't tip jig, but I have bait left over from ice fishing so I'm using it.

Captain Compassion
04-20-2013, 06:23 PM
I also had a slip bobber out with a night crawler for nothing all day. Quite strange since I usually do well this way.

This is the most popular technique at Big Bear especially off the dam. Your technique seems to work as well. Moved to Nevada from Claremont 6 years ago.

CC

ktmquad
04-20-2013, 06:24 PM

Care to share which jigs you use? I would like to give jigs a try

Marv
04-21-2013, 09:37 AM
Care to share which jigs you use? I would like to give jigs a try

Go to eBay and search "crappie jigs" then pick any color you like in the 1 1/2" size. 100 tubes for $7 to your door. Or you can use Trout Trap brand or Berkeley Atomic tubes and other brands like Southern Pro, but you get 5 tubes for $4 or $5.

You will need some jig heads for the eBay tubes. I only use 1/32oz. Tube jig heads. You can get 50 for around $5

My friend RideNfish have caught over 100 trout on the eBay jigs in the last couple of months. From dinky lil stockers to the pickiest native bows. With a few going over 4 pounds.

Colors: grasshopper ( green body brown tenticals)
Pearl white.
Hot pink.

ktmquad
04-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info! I think they might work for some of the places I fish where my usual lures don't work very well.

Marv
04-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the info! I think they might work for some of the places I fish where my usual lures don't work very well.

No problem, I have yet to find a lake or stream in which they don't shine. Order up some and it will become a good friend to you.

In streams drift them like you would a salmon egg, here's a secret, after your drift let it just sit there for a second or two and then do a slight popping motion as you reel it in. A lot of hits come like that, they aren't magical, but pretty darn close.