PDA

View Full Version : Ar shad

Pages : [1] 2 3

KAYAK4FISH
04-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Have they come up the AR?

KAYAK4FISH
04-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Went for a bike ride off Arden, Saw a couple of guys throwing darts to no avail.

BeefCakeScout
04-20-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm gonna start hitting it next week. Me or Matt WILL be the first sniffers to get AR shad!

BIG_ONE
04-21-2013, 12:07 AM
I'm gonna start hitting it next week. Me or Matt WILL be the first sniffers to get AR shad!

I think Ant or Guppy is ahead of you and Matt already...:cheesy:

WAPOW
04-21-2013, 08:51 PM
hey... don't count me out...

Jeff C.
04-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Caught 4 yesterday afternoon in the lower river with a switch rod. Same day I caught my first shad on the AR four years ago!

Bigg A
04-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Caught 4 yesterday afternoon in the lower river with a switch rod. Same day I caught my first shad on the AR four years ago!

Sweet!!!.... Glad they've made it up in the A. Time to break out the 3lb test

WLShafor
04-22-2013, 05:46 PM
This weekend looks to be slightly windy maybe the wind will help make the Shad move in closer

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/sy7a8a3a.jpg

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

AnglingWes
04-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Wow, all this time I've been thinking its the flows that make the schools move, never considered its the wind that blows the shad up the AR.

WLShafor
04-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Glad to see that humor is among us.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/ymasajet.jpg

Wow, all this time I've been thinking its the flows that make the schools move, never considered its the wind that blows the shad up the AR.

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

Jeff C.
04-23-2013, 06:05 AM
12 last evening!

WLShafor
04-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Screenshot = weather + showing 10MPH winds & it's all about flow of water unsure if wind is a factor in how fish move along the American River

Good luck to anyone who goes out this week/weekend

BeefCakeScout
04-23-2013, 11:08 AM
12 last evening!

Location yo!

Jeff C.
04-23-2013, 11:39 AM
No spot burning for me but I can tell you the general area: Lower river below Howe.

BeefCakeScout
04-23-2013, 03:04 PM
No spot burning for me but I can tell you the general area: Lower river below Howe.

Thats what I meant. I would PM you if I wanted specifics.

aka Americansteel
04-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Well that does it... I'm heading out to the "lower river" right now

49erbassman
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
12 last evening!

We need some photographic evidence please lol haha j/k. Good job Jeff!

Fish on!

djkurisu1
04-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Im gonna head out tomorrow after work. Never caught shad before, this is gonna be fun. Any preference on colors for shad darts? gonna go grab some tomorrow omw to the river. will post pics for sure.
:fishing5:

aka Americansteel
04-23-2013, 07:24 PM
The rumors are true!!!!

I happened to stumble upon Jeff C in his honey hole. I ended with 6 Jeff had twice as many.

It was a pleasure to share the river with you Jeff

BeefCakeScout
04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Im gonna head out tomorrow after work. Never caught shad before, this is gonna be fun. Any preference on colors for shad darts? gonna go grab some tomorrow omw to the river. will post pics for sure.
:fishing5:
No darts. 1" pink/champagne/chart grubs on a 1/32 jig head

The rumors are true!!!!

I happened to stumble upon Jeff C in his honey hole. I ended with 6 Jeff had twice as many.

PICS!!!!
I didn't get a shad tonight above watt, but I didn't get skunked either.

Jeff C.
04-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Americansteel (aka Dean), It was fun this evening. Nice to find a spot you can share!

westcoastdave
04-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I went to the lower AR tonight and got skunked. There were 4 flyfisherman downriver from me. They left earlier than I did. I don't know if they got anything. I will try again later this week. BTW the river is super low, I hope we get some more water.

striper slayer
04-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Caught 9 and lost just as many in about a hour on the feather this evening

IronClad
04-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Caught 9 and lost just as many in about a hour on the feather this evening

The feather you say ? Where abouts? need to gauge how long it will be till they are in the oroville wildlife area so i dont have to drive too far lol

Bigg A
04-24-2013, 06:10 AM
The rumors are true!!!!

I wanna stumble upon some lower American river shad too.....time to lace up these nike's and drop a few pounds...lol. There's room for one more right

striper slayer
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
The feather you say ? Where abouts? need to gauge how long it will be till they are in the oroville wildlife area so i dont have to drive too far lol

Star bend area

49erbassman
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Well I guess this weekend may be my first shad fishing trip ever!!!

Fish on!

Bigg A
04-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Well I guess this weekend may be my first shad fishing trip ever!!!

Fish on!

First trip for shad?..... After you hook one....your gonna be ruined!!!!

SteelHunter
04-24-2013, 12:19 PM
First trip for shad?..... After you hook one....your gonna be ruined!!!!

that's For sure!!!!

Mr. Hotsauce
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Didn't know they were up the river already and so fast. Never caught me a shad before. Hopefully I'll catch some this year if I put some hours into it.

BeefCakeScout
04-24-2013, 02:46 PM
first trip for shad?..... After you hook one....your gonna be ruined!!!!

ruuuiiiined!

49erbassman
04-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Yup never fished for them before and it seems I have been missing out all these years. Gonna pick up some 8# test and spool up my Mitchell and 7' bass rod for some shad action. Can't wait to get my oldest son out there too!

Fish on!

westcoastdave
04-24-2013, 08:09 PM
49erbassman, you want 4lb test and a 7ft ultralight rod for the best action from Shad. Even a cheap Berkley trout rod (the light green ones) will work just fine. I took mine out shad fishing once. And there was another guy at the shad hole I often went to that fished with one of those rods. Also don't use too big of jigs. Use 1/32 oz jigheads with 1" grubs. Champagne and chartreuse are the most popular grub colors.

MarkdaShark19
04-25-2013, 03:49 AM
49erbassman, you want 4lb test and a 7ft ultralight rod for the best action from Shad. Even a cheap Berkley trout rod (the light green ones) will work just fine.

+1 I was gonna say damn man we fishing for shad or salmon? 8lb test will seriously hamper your success in shad fishing. I've seen it a lot on the river before. Especially if your a bank fisherman. 2lb test on a 7ft UL rod is my personal preference.

Wishnbfishn
04-25-2013, 01:51 PM
All this shad talk and not a single photo?? My BS alarm is ringing.....

Wishn

aka Americansteel
04-25-2013, 02:00 PM
All this shad talk and not a single photo?? My BS alarm is ringing.....

Wishn

Yeah I'm just messin with y'all. They haven't made it up yet!

BeefCakeScout
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Yup never fished for them before and it seems I have been missing out all these years. Gonna pick up some 8# test and spool up my Mitchell and 7' bass rod for some shad action. Can't wait to get my oldest son out there too!

Fish on!
4# at most.....and a trout/koke rod, But it seems that has been said already

Yeah I'm just messin with y'all. They haven't made it up yet!

where do you live?

49erbassman
04-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Well what the hell makes them so exciting if you need peewee line and a babies rod? Lol i thought they were silver bullets! I'm not buying new equipment just for shad right now I was only intrigued by the fact I can catch so many in one trip but 4# test sounds like a lot of tackle loss in our rivers lol

I knew there was a reason I never fished em lmao haha. Well if I do decide to fish for them I can use my wife's trout rod I guess

Fish on!

IronClad
04-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Well what the hell makes them so exciting if you need peewee line and a babies rod? Lol i thought they were silver bullets! I'm not buying new equipment just for shad right now I was only intrigued by the fact I can catch so many in one trip but 4# test sounds like a lot of tackle loss in our rivers lol

I knew there was a reason I never fished em lmao haha. Well if I do decide to fish for them I can use my wife's trout rod I guess

Fish on!

Last year i caught alot on my bass rod with 10lb and it was still fun. eventually put it down after a while for my 5 foot ultralight with 6lb and that was a hoot but yeah you dont need a noodle rod and light tackle to still have fun

MarkdaShark19
04-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Fish on!

You can catch them on bigger gear, but if your looking for numbers you'll need to down size to get more bites. The heavier line can spook them and it just doesn't drift right. With an UL rod and proper fighting techniques you hardly ever break off. A lot of people get scared of light line but don't underestimate it. Few years back I had a 10 lb striper grab my shad when I was fighting it and it took me 45 mins but I landed em on my UL gear 2lb test line. Plus it's so much more fun fighting them on lighter gear.

BeefCakeScout
04-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Fish on!

You can do it with bass tackle, but your wifes trout rod will be better.

49erbassman
04-25-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm not afraid of light line but if they get spooked why not a flouro leader?

Fish on!

WLShafor
04-25-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOzvxynPVFs

WLShafor
04-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Also this might be a good resource map to help people out when it comes to access areas on the AR

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/26/juzumyme.jpg

AnglingWes
04-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey WL, have you ever caught a shad at any of the spots on that map?

CAL.NDN
04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
I never see them when im out fishing. The girls in the boat that is.

WLShafor
04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Google American River Shad & you will find this map in the image section. I never said it was my map but it does have access points that people me can use.

This weekend should be fun on the AR if I'm able to hook up a Shad or so ill post up pics.

Hey WL, have you ever caught a shad at any of the spots on that map?

MarkdaShark19
04-25-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm not afraid of light line but if they get spooked why not a flouro leader?

Fish on!

It has a lot to do with the drift too. The thicker line doesn't drift as well in the current because there is too much drag on it.

westcoastdave
04-25-2013, 09:39 PM
49erbassman, I will take you out shad fishing on the AR. Just PM me or I will send you a PM the next time I go out. I hope that at least you have waders. I have plenty of extra tackle. The light line makes it more fun to catch them. And It is easier to cast the time 1" 1/32 jigheads on that light tackle. Once you catch a Shad, you will see why they are a blast to catch. They do all kinds of crazy things when they are hooked, like going full speed toward you, and then turning and jumping at the last moment. They often give you a solid pull using the current to their advantage. They don't call them "tiny tarpon" for nothing.

ILuvFishing
04-26-2013, 02:53 AM
Light line loses to fly fishing so much more fun especially when you tie your own flies can't wait to get my new spey rod out and catch them

MarkdaShark19
04-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Light line loses to fly fishing so much more fun especially when you tie your own flies can't wait to get my new spey rod out and catch them

I use 4lb tippet on my fly rod with out any problems, just saying.

Mr. Hotsauce
04-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Heard and seen guys using bobbers with about 4 feet of line under the bobber on the AR. Anyone use this technique? how effective is it compared to just casting and retrieving?

WHT.RUS
04-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Heard and seen guys using bobbers with about 4 feet of line under the bobber on the AR. Anyone use this technique? how effective is it compared to just casting and retrieving?

Works just as good. They have a jig with a grub; moves with the flow. If wish are there, it works like a charm!

westcoastdave
04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
I like drifting grubs more than bobber fishing. But there are some areas on the river (such as slow water) where you need to use bobbers.

49erbassman
04-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks everyone. With all the hype I just thought these guys were fighting machines but it seems like you need UL equipment to experience the fight. No worries if I decide to chase em I have waders and gear;)

Fish on!

_Guppy
04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone. With all the hype I just thought these guys were fighting machines but it seems like you need UL equipment to experience the fight. No worries if I decide to chase em I have waders and gear;)

Fish on!
They are fighting machines. You can you use 8lb test but it won't drift right, The thicker line won't sit in the slot as long as 2 or 4lb test would. If you want to fish 8lb test you can but you wont hook up as much as a guy fishing lighter line.

kneeshefisher
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
They are fighting machines. You can you use 8lb test but it won't drift right, The thicker line won't sit in the slot as long as 2 or 4lb test would. If you want to fish 8lb test you can but you wont hook up as much as a guy fishing lighter line.

True. However, if one uses a long leader and fishes a somewhat fast current area they can do just as good as someone with a light set up. Last year I used 10lb main 5lb leader and caught just as many as the people next to me.

But this year I have my ultra light set up with 5lb test and 2lb leader for the fight!

BettrLUCKYthanGOOD
04-26-2013, 02:00 PM
49erbassman, I will take you out shad fishing on the AR. Just PM me or I will send you a PM the next time I go out. I hope that at least you have waders. I have plenty of extra tackle. The light line makes it more fun to catch them. And It is easier to cast the time 1" 1/32 jigheads on that light tackle. Once you catch a Shad, you will see why they are a blast to catch. They do all kinds of crazy things when they are hooked, like going full speed toward you, and then turning and jumping at the last moment. They often give you a solid pull using the current to their advantage. They don't call them "tiny tarpon" for nothing.
Just throw some 4lb test on there and that will work for anything shad related on the American. most of the time you can get great success just putting on a 1/16head and a pink body directly to 4lb test and you will be in business. Some times a small piece of split shot will be needed depending on drift speed. but it isnt rocket science... get your line wet and slay em.

Oh hello there MarkDaShark...

49erbassman
04-26-2013, 02:43 PM
They are fighting machines. You can you use 8lb test but it won't drift right, The thicker line won't sit in the slot as long as 2 or 4lb test would.

Why would lighter line "sit" in the slot longer? Seems to me you would get a faster drift with lighter line not slower. What are you looking for on the drift? Are you trying to keep the jig in the water column or bounce off the bottom?

Fish on!

AnglingWes
04-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Don't over think it. Cast it out, let it drift, and repeat. I'm not a shad expert, but have caught my fair share, and the only adjustment I really make is the a amount split shot on the line. I typically throw 12-15# braid with a 8# flouro leader because that's what's rigged on my dropshot rod, the only spinning setup I own.

I suppose I could play with line size and type, but when they there, you will hook into them.

Wishnbfishn
04-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Where (generally) are they hitting? I would like to take my youngun's out this weekend and introduce them to shad fishing. What a great bonding opportunity! I haven't done it for a few years on the AR, but I know it can be a blast. Any help would be most appreciated. Please PM me if you don't want to divulge your areas.

Thank you so much.

Wishn

BIG_ONE
04-26-2013, 03:59 PM

It really depends how the fish are holding in the area and how they're moving through. Those who cast and let that split shot drift can out-fish a bobber fisherman by a 3:1 ratio. But sometimes, its the other way around. The environment your fishing in that particular stretch of water, will have its own best technique to go on about. Test each of the technique until one catches fish more than the other.

WHT.RUS
04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
20-30 boats and maybe 20 bankers were fishing shad at the mouth today. Some were slaying them left and right!

CAL.NDN
04-26-2013, 08:05 PM
And there you have the word is out.

MarkdaShark19
04-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Why would lighter line "sit" in the slot longer? Seems to me you would get a faster drift with lighter line not slower. What are you looking for on the drift? Are you trying to keep the jig in the water column or bounce off the bottom?

Fish on!

The thicker line has more surface area too it and it wont sink fast enough, it drags too much in the current and will drift out of the slot, and you simply can't cast it as far, really hampering the amount of water you can cover.

Whats up Lucas! Long time no see man.

49erbassman
04-26-2013, 08:49 PM
If I can take a break from slaying bucket mouths maybe I'll give the oily suckers a try lol hahaha. Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

Fish on!

fishingfrieda
04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
Took Bronson out to discovery beach yesterday, we had fun, we caught 1 fish, mostly due to the fact that the boy was busy wanting to explore the beach, watched people catching them, lots to catch. Can't wait till they move further up the AR though as discovery is a BUSY place!!!

Bigg A
04-27-2013, 03:27 PM
If I can take a break from slaying bucket mouths maybe I'll give the oily suckers a try lol hahaha. Thanks for all the info I appreciate it!

Fish on!

Are you kidding me.....slaying bucket mouths......those green carp will never compare to a silver bullet. Get your butt to a river and slay a real fish!!!!! Seriously!!!!!

westcoastdave
04-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Frieda, Been there and done that....once. The mouth at Discovery is total combat fishing. If I want to fish the Sacramento River for Shad, I will go to Freeport.

BeefCakeScout
04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
2 more tonight, with a bunch of misses. Still trying to get the feel for a bite on a fly. Stripes were effing THICK after dark.......and I didn't have any gear.

feesh on
04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Fished the mouth Thursday evening for an hour- 6 landed and 5 popped off. Friday evening was a little slower- 5 landed and 2 lost.

Wishnbfishn
04-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Caught three at Sunrise at dusk in 30 minutes of fishing before dark. Lost three as well. They're up there.

Wishn

49erbassman
04-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Are you kidding me.....slaying bucket mouths......those green carp will never compare to a silver bullet. Get your butt to a river and slay a real fish!!!!! Seriously!!!!!

You been fishing for shad too long Ant hahaha. Are you sure it's the fish your fighting and not current with that 4# test lmao lol

I may take my kids out today but it's freaking Hot and I'm burnt after all day in the Stockton sun yesterday.

Fish on!

BIG_ONE
04-28-2013, 08:02 AM
You been fishing for shad too long Ant hahaha. Are you sure it's the fish your fighting and not current with that 4# test lmao lol

I may take my kids out today but it's freaking Hot and I'm burnt after all day in the Stockton sun yesterday.

Fish on!

They got some power alright...pound for pound. With a bass, you can haul that sucker in and up over the boat or bank. These guys, you got to really know when is the right time to pull them in and when is the right time to play with them a little, or else it'll just pop off or they'll break on you. These are the only fish I know of that currently exist in CA - which has the capability of breaking 6lbs test being a 2lbs fish(without any cut off or abrasion - pure sheer of power).

CAL.NDN
04-28-2013, 08:13 AM
Ok.i finaly gota join in on this. Ok have you ever caught a 2# ditch pickle in swift moving rapid water lets say around 1400 current give or take on 6# tess??????? Neither have i but i bet his ass would give one hella fight. Just saying though.

BIG_ONE
04-28-2013, 08:32 AM
I have on the AR...still not comparable. Just weight but nothing of power, probably took maybe 10ft of line off my reel? It can be on the AR, it can be at Freeport, Sacramento River and they all share the same amount of power. Two whole different current, but the same fighting power. There's a reason, one is a ditch pickle and the other is a silver bullet + good eatin'.
:excited:

CAL.NDN
04-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Ok. Everyone's diffrent ive only caught them.on UL trout gear at freeport only place i fish for them so far and caught plenty and IMHO they didnt fight at all was very disappointed after all the hype i heard on them. But i will give AR a chance this year and see if they fight harder there. Good luck to all and good eats to all.

BIG_ONE
04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Different size will have different fighting power. The smaller guys usually don't peel line or anything. The bigger guys on the other hand...I've broke 8lbs that breaks at 12lbs(4-5lbs fish).

fishingfrieda
04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Frieda, Been there and done that....once. The mouth at Discovery is total combat fishing. If I want to fish the Sacramento River for Shad, I will go to Freeport.

My husband took me years ago to shad fish at Discovery and I wanted the boy to catch something, so we went. Never been to Freeport yet. I didn't mind the combat fishing as much as I minded kids throwing crap in the river, parents not watching their kids while swimming, some drunk guy chasing another guy into the river to "whip his ass", all in front of my kid. Not going back. Mommy rant over. :)

WHT.RUS
04-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I fished them at Shanghai and they're not all that strong. Not trying to to bash or start trouble, but I'm having hard time believing those little fish can break a 8 lb line. For sake, I used 8 lb leader for salmon last year and pulled them in only snapping maybe 5% of my leaders.

BIG_ONE
04-28-2013, 11:46 AM
I fished them at Shanghai and they're not all that strong. Not trying to to bash or start trouble, but I'm having hard time believing those little fish can break a 8 lb line. For sake, I used 8 lb leader for salmon last year and pulled them in only snapping maybe 5% of my leaders.

When the right fish comes...4-5lbs shad will break 8lbs test(most shad can be landed with 4lbs test) and a 50lbs salmon will snap that 8lbs leader on it's first jump. The feelings of loosing a trophy fish that you may never see for the next 5+ years, I don't like it. Not all of them will be the same, until the fish god has chosen you to truly test your skills. My words cannot explain everyone's experience.
p.s. - where is all the silver bullet pictures?
:biggrin:

WHT.RUS
04-28-2013, 12:00 PM
When the right fish comes...4-5lbs shad will break 8lbs test(most shad can be landed with 4lbs test) and a 50lbs salmon will snap that 8lbs leader on it's first jump. The feelings of loosing a trophy fish that you may never see for the next 5+ years, I don't like it. Not all of them will be the same, until the fish god has chosen you to truly test your skills. My words cannot explain everyone's experience.
p.s. - where is all the silver bullet pictures?
:biggrin:

Eh, I was reffering more to AR as not many trophy salmonoids go up that high. Sacramento River, Feather and Ocean is a different story.. I did loose all my fish on 8 lb when I went to Oroville until switching to a 12 lb p line.

BIG_ONE
04-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Eh, I was reffering more to AR as not many trophy salmonoids go up that high. Sacramento River, Feather and Ocean is a different story.. I did loose all my fish on 8 lb when I went to Oroville until switching to a 12 lb p line.

There's big shad in the AR...and salmon as well. If the water can clear through their back, they'll go into the system. Good amount of 30-40 pounders at the hatchery. But let's not get side tracked here with salmonoids, I can't wait for the run to start as well but it's still shad season!

BeefCakeScout
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm not gonna play the bass vs. shad game. shad are fun to catch, good to eat and keep the action HOT!

WHT.RUS
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Never caught anything bigger than 25 lbs on AR :p

Anyways, enjoy the shad while you can! I hope it ends soon though.... Can't wait until July 16..

_Guppy
04-28-2013, 02:50 PM
You guys are all right, shad suck.

dabalone
04-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Shad are great at squeaking every bit of advantage out of current, they seem to naturally use the whole side of their body against the current and why they pull hard for their size. If you look at how they are built they are very narrow looking down on them but have very wide, large side profile. I think if they were put in a stillwater situation the fight would be nothing like catching them from swift water. I love catching shad, its fun because you can catch large numbers of fish all of which will give you a battle, over the years we have caught them on many occasions where we just had to sit down and take a break. You can't find that kind of fast and furious action on any other species here in CA.

CAL.NDN
04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Ok.the numbers i totaly agree that is fun and can be a blast. The fight i totaly dis agree. But each have our own opinions and all.is good.

aka Americansteel
04-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Shad suck!!!

WHT.RUS
04-28-2013, 08:41 PM
Shad suck!!!

You live so close by.. We should go fishing!:biggrin:

LURKER916
04-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Shad suck!!!

Yeah. I hate em.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aka Americansteel
04-29-2013, 05:39 AM
Don't waste your time shad fishing...

They don't fight good

They bite really lite

It's almost impossible to hook them if you actually feel their super lite bite

You can't use 10 lb test and a big rod

Unlike what most people say you don't catch a lot of them and when you do it's not that fun seeing 4 other people catch them also

You can only catch 1 at a time

And lastly you NEVER EVER EVER see good looking women in bikinis and sometimes their willingness to "set them free"

THAT'S IT!!!! IM GOING BACK TO STURGEON FISHING!!!!

WHT.RUS
04-29-2013, 06:07 AM
I beg to differ on that last part. There's some hotties running around at discovery! You just fish at the wrong time!

Bigg A
04-29-2013, 06:39 AM
What's up with all the shad haters in here? You guys can't find anything else on the board to talk about....grab a rod and go catch something!!

Bigg A
04-29-2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah. I hate em.....

I know you do....that's why I see you all shad season huh?....lol.

LURKER916
04-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Going back out in a minute. Had three hookups yesterday, couldn't land one.

Wishnbfishn
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Shad fishing sucks. All fishing sucks. I think everyone should just stay home and watch TV.

Please continue to purchase your fishing licenses though.

Wishn

MarkdaShark19
04-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Shad fishing sucks. All fishing sucks. I think everyone should just stay home and watch TV.

Please continue to purchase your fishing licenses though.

Wishn

I agree, every one trade in your rods for golf clubs.

BIG_ONE
04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
I agree, every one trade in your rods for golf clubs.

If I'm going to trade my rods for some golf clubs, those clubs better be ready to have some high quality guides wrapped onto it with a high quality reel seats installed as well. Might as well paint and wrap the whole club while at it...it will be super sensitive!
:appledancing:

49erbassman
04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Ok so I ask some valid questions and everyone turns it into shad hating? I'm trying to learn here so I think all my questions are valid points, no?

I have never fished them and hear what fighting machines they are than I get told I can't catch em on 8# line that I need 2or 4#. I have never used line this small and thought it was odd that 2# line was needed for such a hard fighting machine of a fish. The answers I did get seemed to be well vague or non existent and instead I'm a hater lol

Come on guys nobody is bashing yet until I actually catch one myself....

It's all good. I had a few conversations this weekend with folks and answered all my questions. I'll continue to catch my green carps for now and may give shad a try if they make it further up the AR soon.

Fish on!

BIG_ONE
04-29-2013, 01:22 PM
LOL. Most shad will be do-able with 2-4lbs test...but there are those will break you off on 8lbs test. In my years of study with fish's movement that plays with having incredible power - it's more than just having a slim and wide body with current. The number one thing that play in their speed and power is the tail. Short and faster stroke on those tail, will in return create a more powerful and swift movement through waters...regardless of current or not.
Let's look at tuna and giant trevally in general. One is big and bulky, one is slim and wide...yet they both share about the same amount of power in terms of the same weight class. Put in a factor that your fighting them in a current-less surrounding. The power all comes from the numbers of stroke being put out from the tail. Pound for pound, for what they are, one of the stronger fish...can we not agree on that?
So far, it's peak season...no shad pictures...I'm still chasing after another trophy striper so no pictures to come from me. Fish on!
P.S. - they have just about the same amount of power at Freeport with hardly any current.

:pirate:

Bigg A
04-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Ok so I ask some valid questions and everyone turns it into shad hating? I'm trying to learn here so I think all my questions are valid points, no?

I have never fished them and hear what fighting machines they are than I get told I can't catch em on 8# line that I need 2or 4#. I have never used line this small and thought it was odd that 2# line was needed for such a hard fighting machine of a fish. The answers I did get seemed to be well vague or non existent and instead I'm a hater lol

Come on guys nobody is bashing yet until I actually catch one myself....

It's all good. I had a few conversations this weekend with folks and answered all my questions. I'll continue to catch my green carps for now and may give shad a try if they make it further up the AR soon.

Fish on!

Calm down bro.....were just having fun. Sorry you didn't pick up on that. The answers you received were pretty much straight up.....heavy equipment is no fun so that's why the majority of us use lighter gear while fishing for shad.

MarkdaShark19
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
The answers I did get seemed to be well vague or non existent

What's vauge about heavy line doesn't drift correctly and it spooks the fish. It's as easy as that. Shad are very simple fish to target, no need to over complicate it.

BeefCakeScout
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
No more pissing about "no pictures" folks.

LURKER916
04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Hhhhhhhhhahahshs

dabalone
04-30-2013, 11:35 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/01/y2ury6y7.jpg

We knew you could do it! Game on now.

Justin Martell
04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Hooked into about ten yesterday only got four onto the bank though. Pretty big ones snapping lines. Five guys across from me must have had twenty to thirty. Shad had a rough day yesterday.

49erbassman
04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Lmao........you guys are nuts lol

Enjoy your silver bullets and thank you to all who sent pm's. See ya on the water soon

Fish on!

BeefCakeScout
04-30-2013, 10:19 PM
report for the night:
Shad are still in the system

49erbassman
05-01-2013, 11:58 AM
And swimming ;)

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
And aren't that hungry thus not biting:wink:

MarkdaShark19
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
report for the night:
Shad are still in the system

Man, I hope so. The season has barely started!

djkurisu1
05-01-2013, 03:49 PM
was gonna go out in a few, can anyone tell me a good spot to target them. I live off manzanita, closest road to the AR is watt. Any info is greatly appreciated and maybe i can come join one of you guys if u are out and about. got some light line, small rods and darts ready to do some working out... :fishing5:

BIG_ONE
05-01-2013, 03:51 PM
was gonna go out in a few, can anyone tell me a good spot to target them. I live off manzanita, closest road to the AR is watt. Any info is greatly appreciated and maybe i can come join one of you guys if u are out and about. got some light line, small rods and darts ready to do some working out... :fishing5:

You can fish around Watt...they're catch-able around there now.

49erbassman
05-01-2013, 04:02 PM

You live off manzanita ave?

Fish on!

djkurisu1
05-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Well I am gonna head down there and see what I can pull in. Hoping I can post some pics. I also have a underwater cam, maybe can get some vid of some releases. It is always cool to see. I should post some of my salmon releases. Gonna do that later and post it in salmon forums. look for it later today. :wink:

djkurisu1
05-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah, you close by? I'll send you a PM with my number

49erbassman
05-01-2013, 05:12 PM
If its manzanita that runs across Madison you have many other options closer than Watt ave;)

I'll pm ya

Fish on!

Justin Martell
05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
I was out there again this morning, early. Caught 4 in about 2 hours. Evenings much much better. Usual stuff 1/32 jig, 4 lb, and pink grubs.

BeefCakeScout
05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
stuck a few last night above watt. Its getting better

ilovefishing
05-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Older brother being a lab rat today at one of our hot spot for shad in ar today. I'll let ya know how he do.

kneeshefisher
05-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Older brother being a lab rat today at one of our hot spot for shad in ar today. I'll let ya know how he do.

haha I normally told people I would be scouting spots, however lab rat sounds better :laugh::laugh:

ilovefishing
05-02-2013, 05:54 PM
haha I normally told people I would be scouting spots, however lab rat sounds better :laugh::laugh:

Lol. He's the tester so might as well lable it as a lab rat.

But results = skunk. Water was too low

WhopperStopper
05-02-2013, 09:59 PM
First trip of the year. Hooked 5 landed 4. Also hooked a bonus striper on my shad gear that never knew he was hooked. Needless to say I didn't land the striper. Fished just above watt

Jeff C.
05-03-2013, 05:56 AM
FYi, Kiene's just got a big shipment of my Bloody Maria, the hottest shad fly for local waters. Killer with a fly rod and a sinking line and it also works great with gear with a split shot or two 18" up.

Justin Martell
05-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Got four in the morning before work and four in the evening after work yesterday. Took a while in the evening to get going though caught the last three when it was about time to go. Good sized though. My comrade next to me was happy. Think it might be cooling down there a bit, definately wouldn't recommend heading there anymore. Definately not. :violin:

djkurisu1
05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Tomorrow gonna head out and see what I can get. Gonna fish above watt so hoping I can land a few atleast. Will be wearing camo shorts w a black cap if anyone is around say hey. :angling:

LURKER916
05-03-2013, 05:39 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/04/jyjusasy.jpg

djkurisu1
05-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Heading out in like 35min. Think we are gonna go to footbridge. Looks like a nice place for my daughter to play while we wait for the bite :fishing5xd:

49erbassman
05-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Heading out in like 35min. Think we are gonna go to footbridge. Looks like a nice place for my daughter to play while we wait for the bite :fishing5xd:

Sunrise footbridge? You should be able too see fish from the bridge with the low flows. Good luck!

Fish on!

djkurisu1
05-04-2013, 09:36 AM
yup thats the spot. really hoping I can put the little one on a nice one, ohh and me too. Gonna be firsts for the both of us. GOOO SHAD

leaving now

49erbassman
05-04-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm thinking of trying to get me and my little one on our first shad as well tomorrow Good luck.

Fish on!

djkurisu1
05-04-2013, 01:11 PM
So we are back home and still no shad foe either of us. How upsetting, but there was alot of ppl out in rafts and with stereos. never know if they just pushed all the fish out of the holes or if they just arent there right now. oh well gonna give it another go a bit later. good luck everyone

MarkdaShark19
05-04-2013, 02:09 PM
So we are back home and still no shad foe either of us. How upsetting, but there was alot of ppl out in rafts and with stereos. never know if they just pushed all the fish out of the holes or if they just arent there right now. oh well gonna give it another go a bit later. good luck everyone It's still really early for shad to be that high up in the river system man don't be discouraged, and I've caught tons of shad with dozens of those rafters around making noise and jumping in the water. The shad, usually when they are in massive numbers, don't seem to care much about them being around.

djkurisu1
05-04-2013, 02:57 PM
It's still really early for shad to be that high up in the river system man don't be discouraged, and I've caught tons of shad with dozens of those rafters around making noise and jumping in the water. The shad, usually when they are in massive numbers, don't seem to care much about them being around.

thanks mate, I will keep on fishing cause thats what I do. I know it is like this sometimes and then it is HOT. so I can take the good with the bad, all in all was a good time with my daughter and playing in the water and watching all the people so their thing. we made the best of the moment and I am gonna head back later. Over by J st bridge though. Will report later

westcoastdave
05-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Nice meeting you this afternoon. Sorry that the spot did'nt produce. We'll try somewhere else on the river tommorrow.

djkurisu1
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
You too Dave, Im sure we will be praising our efforts soon enough brother. We should def link up tomorrow and go check that other spot. will be less hot tomorrow and i think a bit overcast. maybe the wind will die down a bit?

Bigg A
05-05-2013, 05:37 AM
You too Dave, Im sure we will be praising our efforts soon enough brother. We should def link up tomorrow and go check that other spot. will be less hot tomorrow and i think a bit overcast. maybe the wind will die down a bit?Where you guys fishing at? I wouldn't mind catching a shad or two myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated

westcoastdave
05-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Bigg Ant, I thought that you have been catching alot of shad. I was thinking I should go where your fishing. We were fishing a spot I used to fish all the time in the past. A spot above Paradise beach. I have fished there twice this year witn no fish. So I am going back hopefully this afternoon to where I caught 2 shad a few days ago. The place with the bush. Hopefully more shad are going through there now. Your welcome to join us.

djkurisu1
05-05-2013, 07:44 AM
woke up to having a flat tire.... super lame and i hope it is just a leak. I'll pm you dave in a while and let you know the outcome. gonna go out prob in a little bit and see if there is any bite for the morning. will post and let everyone know after we get back (daughter and myself)

striperking13
05-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Where you guys fishing at? I wouldn't mind catching a shad or two myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated

lol... oh.. comon BIGG ANT.. hahahah Y u gotta be pulling these guys legs? lol.. If anything, you should host a little seminar for all of us Sniffer's on how to catch these Mini Tarpons. I've never had the honor to fish with you, but in all my years on the Sniffer, Your hands down the most knowledgeable and best Shad Fisherman on here. If I ever run into u on the water, u know i am following you. lol.. Keep the knowledge and fish porn coming. FISH ON

Slikboat
05-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Ive never been shad fishing, I live on American river drive underneath watt bridge was thinking about going up stream a little above watt, what are the main jigs people use? Egg sinker swivel and a jig?

LURKER916
05-05-2013, 12:28 PM
1/32 jig head, 1 inch pink grub. Up from that 18 inches a single split shot.

Slikboat
05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Cast up stream let it drift with the current ?

WHT.RUS
05-05-2013, 01:06 PM
My setup:

Main Line > Bobber > Swivel > 4-5 foot leader > Splitshot > 1/32 Jig with a grub.
Can skip the swivel and do the setup on the main line. I prefer not loosing my floats :)

You can also do:

Main Line > Weight/Bullet > Swivel > 4-5 Leader > Hook and a Grub and "Drift" like you would for salmon.

49erbassman
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
1/32 jig? That's tiny. Guess what I have for crappie won't work I have 1/8 and 1/4 jigs. I fish for the big slabs lol I didn't even see any shad darts that small but I didn't look that close. I use 1/64 for trout and those are the smallest hook I have ever used

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
05-05-2013, 01:43 PM
1/32 jig? That's tiny. Guess what I have for crappie won't work I have 1/8 and 1/4 jigs. I fish for the big slabs lol I didn't even see any shad darts that small but I didn't look that close. I use 1/64 for trout and those are the smallest hook I have ever used

Fish on!

Honestly you can open a shad mouths and its similar in size of a small mouth bass. However, I don't know how wide they open it under water. Maybe bigger would work too. I got the 1/32s for 0.02 each and they're holding up better than the Walmart jigs that are 0.30+ each lol

49erbassman
05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
I'll give you .04cents each hook me up lol haha

Fish on!

djkurisu1
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Honestly you can open a shad mouths and its similar in size of a small mouth bass. However, I don't know how wide they open it under water. Maybe bigger would work too. I got the 1/32s for 0.02 each and they're holding up better than the Walmart jigs that are 0.30+ each lol

where are u guys getting your jigs? I need to reup on my supply.

49erbassman
05-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Walmart has them for about 2.50 per 10 pack. I was just messing around but I'll go for the 5#ers with the 1/4 jigs lol

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
05-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I get mine directly from manufacturers from Japan :)

CAL.NDN
05-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Try global outdoor sports. Aka vdog. Better known on here as the WHT.RUS. BEST DEALS BY FAR.

WHT.RUS
05-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Yeah I sell them occasionally in my eBay store at ebay.com/Global-Outdoor-Sports

Not sure if I will get any until next season as it will take a couple weeks to receive. Maybe if I decided to part with some from my arsenal, il make couple listings :)

Justin Martell
05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
So I was with my daughter this weekend so I missed out. How'd everyone do? And how about some GPS coordinates? LOL. Been reading about some big numbers on here. Congrats.

SteelHunter
05-06-2013, 12:04 PM
where are u guys getting your jigs? I need to reup on my supply.

I haven't been to Fisherman's Warehouse in a couple weeks...but that's where I usually get mine. I usually try to stock up in 1/16 and 1/32 oz jigs before the season starts, because after that they will sell out.

You can also go online and get the unpainted jigs and powder coat your own in all the cool colors.

Justin Martell
05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
What's the deal with the rain? I will still be out there attempting to make it happen. I must have been dropped as a child.

LURKER916
05-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Got off my skunk right after the rain.

Was slow today. Very slow.

westcoastdave
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
I would think the shad fishing would have been good with the overcast skies. I guess the runs just gettting started. BTW nice meeting you down at the river yesterday. I hooked into one shad later around 8 pm.

LURKER916
05-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Good meeting you Dave.

truckfr88
05-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey,
Are the shad up at sunrise yet???

ILuvFishing
05-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Hey,
Are the shad up at sunrise yet???

I'm catching them in the barbless area not gonna say where but im pretty sure they are up by sunrise since the school I'm fishing is pretty big. Since I can see them swimming in circle in a huge school and saw a huge striper chasing them. I drift a shad but guess it was to big and not appealing to him. Best way is to get a raft or some sort of transportation and float down and look for them that's wat I did

truckfr88
05-08-2013, 06:04 AM
Ok gotcha..
ive been catching them, I was just wondering if they were up that far..

Thanks

Justin Martell
05-11-2013, 09:28 AM
What's the deal with the rain? I will still be out there attempting to make it happen. I must have been dropped as a child.

I been out of town for a bit and didn't get to post my report. I did catch six in the rain. Well more like 5 BEFORE the rain and then one after it started raining. I got soaked and had to make a run for it. Tried to hang in there under a tree with some of my new Ukrainian buddies. It was like a WWII bunker but the rain got the better of me.

Next day was off only one in the morning before work and one after work.

Justin Martell
05-12-2013, 08:59 AM
14360I got 4 last night and 4 again this morning before work. Guys down the bank from me used bobbers and had better luck than I did.

LURKER916
05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Good job dude.

Leon Fish
05-14-2013, 03:09 PM
whats the good word on the Shad?

It looks like I might have an opportunity to drift the AR on Friday and give this shad on the fly rod a try.

Anybody else gonna be there that I could say hello to?

WHT.RUS
05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
whats the good word on the Shad?

It looks like I might have an opportunity to drift the AR on Friday and give this shad on the fly rod a try.

Anybody else gonna be there that I could say hello to?

Theyre there. Finding their pathway is the hard part.

bass_newb
05-14-2013, 08:35 PM
my question for you experienced guys...

When you look for spots to cast, do you just randomly cast upstream towards the middle of the river, regardless of depth? Or do you find deep holes, structure, etc?

BIG_ONE
05-14-2013, 09:15 PM

When you look for spots to cast, do you just randomly cast upstream towards the middle of the river, regardless of depth? Or do you find deep holes, structure, etc?

Cast upstream as far as you can. If you hit near the other side of the stretch your fishing in, the better chance you will get a hit. Slowly retrieve as it drift down and repeat the process. Whether it is shallow or deep, you may see pebbles, rocks, and boulders only, but there may be a whole school in front of you that blends itself perfectly.

Justin Martell
05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Yesterday was four in the morning and four in the evening. Low light only. Was that way for everyone else as well that I saw. Got the ol duder's brain working. :duh:

LURKER916
05-16-2013, 08:39 AM
What BigOne said.

With the water low the fish are lobe shy also.

Good luck!

MarkdaShark19
05-16-2013, 10:14 AM

I have come to love taking my boat out and just running around until I can see them. You need polarized glasses and a good eye though. For bright silver fish they blend in the with bottom very well and unless you've got a good eye keened in on movement you'll miss em, even in just 2ft of water. I've done it a few times now, think what you want about it, but I read in a book years ago that people did it with crappie where they would catch a fish attach a water balloon to the fish and throw it back. Then you can follow your fish to the school, and now I have found an area that right now in the low water conditions is ever so slightly deeper then the rest of the river and has been holding fish more consistently.

Striper
05-20-2013, 02:14 PM
Has anyone caught any when retrieving after a cast or does the shad hit when the lure is still drifting?

BIG_ONE
05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Has anyone caught any when retrieving after a cast or does the shad hit when the lure is still drifting?

Both, once you figure out where they are traveling through. Let it drift in that area.

LURKER916
05-20-2013, 07:34 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/21/razenevu.jpg

In case y'all wondering this dude is still slaying em on the AR!

-outfishbigant.com

WHT.RUS
05-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Matt, his site is down :9

LURKER916
05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Lulz. It's cuz the moderators on his site can't agree on who to ban.

CAL.NDN
05-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Dam.ant lost some weight chasing them shad.

WHT.RUS
05-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Dam.ant lost some weight chasing them shad.

Its because he layed off the steelhead and popcorn bud!:lolk:

LURKER916
05-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Lulz. Ant is the shad slayer!
Man I fished with that dude the last three days. He is just a shad slayer.

Gotta say, I fish this river a lot, and I fish it with Garrett and BigAnt. Not an easy group to fish with. But if u pay attention to what they r doing you will learn some skills.

WHT.RUS
05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Il be out there Wed. Maybe il see you guys around.

LURKER916
05-20-2013, 09:18 PM
Yup. Be out there.

BeefCakeScout
05-20-2013, 09:41 PM

I start with the deeper runs and work out from there.

Matt, i'm thinking about a making a morning appearance at the spot

LURKER916
05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
I got a 10 o'clock appt at the doc for my knee will be out afterwards.

49erbassman
05-21-2013, 03:22 PM
You guys are crazy lol......I guess I got steel fever cause shad doesn't have me jonezen like the steelies did!

Fish on!

BeefCakeScout
05-21-2013, 08:17 PM
shadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadsh adshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshadshad shadshadshadshadshadshadshad..........

LURKER916
05-21-2013, 08:41 PM
Il be out there Wed. Maybe il see you guys around.

Bring that line. I will buy some!

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Was a better night. Well, hooked a bunch and broke off a bunch of jig heads with my fish. Apparently I am cursed with bad line this year and crappy drag.

Line suggestions?

STREN ULTRATHIN 6lb SUCKS IT!

BIG_ONE
05-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Was a better night. Well, hooked a bunch and broke off a bunch of jig heads with my fish. Apparently I am cursed with bad line this year and crappy drag.

Line suggestions?

STREN ULTRATHIN 6lb SUCKS IT!

P-Line CXX 4lbs will serve you good or Yozuri Hybrid Ultra Soft 6lbs & P-Line CX Premium 6lbs...

BeefCakeScout
05-22-2013, 06:12 AM
I'm a P-Line fanboy, but I had TERRIBLE luck with the 4#. I actually switched to 4# Maxima and am fairly impressed.

westcoastdave
05-22-2013, 06:40 AM
I just use Berkeley Triline XL . I have used the 4 lb test line for years for Shad with no problems.

FISHERPRICE
05-22-2013, 07:01 AM
I just use Berkeley Triline XL . I have used the 4 lb test line for years for Shad with no problems. I took my trout pole with 4# berk XL and my boy has 4# P line on his trout pole. We hooked up with both and no breakage. Maybe to many beer's that night and remember the line goes through the loop "MATT" when ur tying on hook. LOL I'm just givin you crap Matt.

49erbassman
05-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Well since I don't use 4# test often I bought the cheap zebco brand from Wally world and about 50 fish in not one break off yet! Normal usage I like Trilene xl or xt but have recently switched to pline

Fish on!

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 09:32 AM
One of at least 40-50 this morning.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/yqesa8aj.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/yry3upu3.jpg

49erbassman
05-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Good job Matt.....you must have a great wife that lets you fish everyday lol

Fish on!

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 09:43 AM
She's awesome!

BeefCakeScout
05-22-2013, 09:46 AM
It was like that huh?

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Still is. Come out.

frigginchi
05-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Wow! I hope Watt is like that this weekend. It's the only place I know lol.

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Chris playing catch up.
And the beat goes on.....
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/5e4a2eru.jpg

BeefCakeScout
05-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Still is. Come out.

Home with a sick baby bro.....hopefully I can get out and chase stripes tonight. I'm working on a new bait while she takes a nap.

BeefCakeScout
05-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Thats bait! I didn't have a lot of time to tell you, but right after you left I stuck a 4#er. Must have gone at least 25". I was yelling up the hill "MATT.....YOU STILL HERE?", but alas, you were gone:embarassed:

I gave it to that kid

WhopperStopper
05-22-2013, 11:56 AM
That would make a great bait. I like towards the end of the season when the shad get all skinny and weak. Those ones make the best bait. I recall one year when a small pod of about 30 of them were milling around in some slow water adjacent to a nice chute and the stripers were corralling them and thrashing through the pod seemingly all day. It looked like a tuna or some palagic species blowing up a ball of bait.

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Deleted cuz it's almost a spot burner

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/gadehy8e.jpg
Last pic. Too many shad my phone is dying.

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Garret showed up. He's being typical Garret.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/gyjysu5e.jpg

WHT.RUS
05-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Great Pics. I managed to hook one right when you guys left. Chris had few bites but didnt stick. If buddy bails on me tomorrow, il come out with you guys :)

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Right on VDog!

Will be there early. Thanks again for the line! Spooled it up. Like it. Can't wait to throw it tomorrow.

Dlee
05-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Went out last night. Skunk for me but the guy next to me was killing it with a bobber. It's like the shad were allergic to my gear. LOL. Having the right setup is key to shad fishing. I had Discovery park gear with me only. AR is different.

Banker916 thanks for the tips. You are a very kind person that helps us newbs. Striperking13 popped his shad cherry thanks to you at Watt. Me unfortunately haven't caught anything except a cold so far. LOL

CAL.NDN
05-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Yep.good times guys we did it and did it well got bout 10 more after u left one shadzilla. :)

SHM
05-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Took the yak out above Watt, landed 3 lost a few, and missed a handful of hits. Fairly slow, but still some action.

49erbassman
05-22-2013, 07:52 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/gadehy8e.jpg
Last pic. Too many shad my phone is dying.

Now that's bait for sure. Why you holding back that smile bro lmao.

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
05-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Lol rob cuz matt keep wanting to takes pics of my small ones. When i get a decent one would say phone is dead or pic didnt go through lol. Thanks brother. :)

CAL.NDN
05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Oh yea omiflex all.the way proven fact.

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Yeah Rob, I only took the small pics of Chris fish. My phone was dying from all the shad pictures. Crazy!

And I had it on video on accident so that burned it through.

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Didn't get a chance to pick up that line.

49erbassman
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Lol rob cuz matt keep wanting to takes pics of my small ones. When i get a decent one would say phone is dead or pic didnt go through lol. Thanks brother. :)

I knew what that smirk was for lol. Sounds like you guys had a blast, wish I could of joined ya rather than being stuck at the office for 12 hours

Fish on!

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
We had fun. The bite was crazy then dead. Then crazier.

The fish were friggin hawgs with some mad energy. Can't wait till morning!

Speaking of which gotta sleep.

See u all out there.

CAL.NDN
05-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Yep there were definitely some shadzillas today :)

LURKER916
05-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Till this year all I ever fished was Harrington..
These low flows have forced me and others to learn new spots and try different techniques.

Tomorrow I'm fly fishing for them for the first time. I've spent a few hours on the water and riding my bike and hiking every trail I can to find a producing hole. Folks won't learn where they fish are by sitting at home and reading reports.

Gotta get out there and bust some a$$!!!!

Will be back OTW at 0530.

WHT.RUS
05-23-2013, 03:41 AM
Getting some coffee is my system and should be heading out. See ya out there!

striperking13
05-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Can't wait to hear shadzilla reports. Lol

LURKER916
05-23-2013, 06:08 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/3ezavuma.jpg

LURKER916
05-23-2013, 06:15 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/hyru7e5y.jpg

LURKER916
05-23-2013, 06:40 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/23/u6y5uveg.jpg

Vdog is on fire!

FISHERPRICE
05-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Till this year all I ever fished was Harrington..
These low flows have forced me and others to learn new spots and try different techniques.

Tomorrow I'm fly fishing for them for the first time. I've spent a few hours on the water and riding my bike and hiking every trail I can to find a producing hole. Folks won't learn where they fish are by sitting at home and reading reports.

Gotta get out there and bust some a$$!!!!

Will be back OTW at 0530.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk good luck bro, man right after I said good luck I saw pics. So what about your fish matt ?

Teldor
05-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Y'all kill me with the fish pics while I'm workin. Or kinda workin. Ok not really but I'm AT work and that counts, right?!
Rather be fishin. Bah. Bring on the fish pics!

WHT.RUS
05-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Matt, Chris finnaly got em

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn48/mrvarrickwb/null_zps9f2e100f.jpg

LURKER916
05-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Nice! Good luck fellas!

I'm eating and watching tv!

LURKER916
05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
good luck bro, man right after I said good luck I saw pics. So what about your fish matt ?

Landed 15, lost quite a few more....I'm having a bad hair day so didn't want my picture taken...

49erbassman
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I need a new career.....never enough time to fish!!

Good work fellas it looks like the numbers have arrived!

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Omg. Pics so ugly lol:rolleyes2:

FISHERPRICE
05-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Landed 15, lost quite a few more....I'm having a bad hair day so didn't want my picture taken...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Well dam dude , thats better than other days. Very cool !!!

49erbassman
05-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Omg. Pics so ugly lol:rolleyes2:

Your cool the ladies don't surf the sniffer much lol hahaha

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
05-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Wasn't my day 4 darts for me matt and vdog were the man. Early birds got the worm. Good to be out on the water with the peeps.

WHT.RUS
05-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Fish sees a real fishermen from far away. Not your day Chris... Maybe next year :angling:

CAL.NDN
05-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Lol yep vdog.

CAL.NDN
05-23-2013, 04:10 PM
I just realized i had a banana with me i jinxed us all. Dam guess that stuff true on bank.to lol. Got gas and coffe this morning and they said here you free banana with your coffe. Being me and its free and food i took it and totally forgot about it. Thats why was on fire till i showed up and bam the curse of the banana walked up

djkurisu1
05-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Wish I could head out tonight, my daughter got sick today and I am gonna be around the house. So nice to see so many fish being caught today. Hope they are around tomorrow after work? Gonna have my son and daughter out with me on saturday. Time to put my little boy on his first shad. He is gonna love it. Fish on and keep it up guys:fishing5xd:

djkurisu1
05-23-2013, 04:32 PM
I need a new career.....never enough time to fish!!

Good work fellas it looks like the numbers have arrived!

Fish on!

Man I feel you there, although making 175$ somedays does feel nice. There's never really enough time for fishing though no matter how you look at it... Once salmon season comes there is not gonna be enough hours in the day for real though. Will def be fishing before work and after.... Wow gonna be TIRED. Rise of the zombies

BaitMaster
05-24-2013, 01:39 AM
Hey Chris, i saw your shirt a couple pages back.... Miwok?

I was curious if you were native when i saw your tats at seco, but gotta come out and ask now that i saw your shirt, lol.

I'm a 1/16th miwok....The last generation :)

I could fish more often, if only i could get my hands on some casino money, lol!

CAL.NDN
05-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Yea bro im miwok. Thats cool bro.

Rugby Lock
05-24-2013, 09:56 AM
Where do you guys usually go? I've grown up around the AR but never really fished it. I am looking at trying it at Ancil Hoffman as that's right next to my house. Is that a good area or is somewhere else better?

CAL.NDN
05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Shad are on.the move anywhere can be great for a min then slow the next just got get out and do some casting if ya hook up right away thats a good sign if not stick and move. The whole AR is good for shad just need enough water for a drift. Good luck.

49erbassman
05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm hoping to head out today about 4-4:30 if I get off work in time
PM me if anyone wants to hook up

Fish on!

Nor_Cal_Drifter
05-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Nice job guys! Been too busy to make it out but digging the pics on here. Keep up the good work...

delta916
05-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Where do you guys usually go? I've grown up around the AR but never really fished it. I am looking at trying it at Ancil Hoffman as that's right next to my house. Is that a good area or is somewhere else better?

That's as good a place as any to start. If you've never fished shad they can be found about anywhere on the AR right now. Just gotta be there when the school moves through.

LURKER916
05-25-2013, 05:08 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/26/5y8y3y6a.jpg

Got a few this morning. I Got two and casted about ten times. Still hooked up.

djkurisu1
05-25-2013, 05:48 PM
so check this out, I video taped my sons first shad fight and put it up on youtube. He is using my 8ft trout dough rod and he is only 5. What a champ and watch how he bows his back to fight this fish. He is a prodigy in the making. Here's one proud papa that's for sure.
jaiden first shad 009 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beu7sp4yCj8)
jaiden first shad 010 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDOqwhudiVA)14611 It was a fat hen and she had alot of spunk...

49erbassman
05-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Good stuff bro. Me and my oldest son managed only two in about two hours this evening 14614

Fish on!