PDA

View Full Version : Tica Caiman 3 ball bearings or 6?

Trout Spanker
04-22-2013, 10:14 AM
I topline and want to start using a bait casting type reel for about $100 as opposed to my spinning reels. I’ve reviewed some of my options and narrowed it down to the Tica Caiman KT100 or GT100 (wouldn’t mind the GT100M if I can find It). My big question is does the 3 ball bearings (KT) make a difference vs the 6 ball bearings (GT), also since were on the subject how do these compare the 12 ball bearing GJ series which are out of my price range?

I initially intend to use 8# line on the reel please give any suggestions for line set up would be appreciated as well.

Jetspray
04-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Usually the more bearings you have the smoother the reel is, of course there is a pice to pay......Jetspray

Jfitalia
04-22-2013, 02:14 PM
I topline and want to start using a bait casting type reel for about $100 as opposed to my spinning reels. I’ve reviewed some of my options and narrowed it down to the Tica Caiman KT100 or GT100 (wouldn’t mind the GT100M if I can find It). My big question is does the 3 ball bearings (KT) make a difference vs the 6 ball bearings (GT), also since were on the subject how do these compare the 12 ball bearing GJ series which are out of my price range?

I initially intend to use 8# line on the reel please give any suggestions for line set up would be appreciated as well.

personally i say save the money and buy a used abu 5500. if someone hasnt put a clicker on it already then take it to a shop and have them add one for 20 bucks.

RideNfish
04-22-2013, 07:42 PM
personally i say save the money and buy a used abu 5500. if someone hasnt put a clicker on it already then take it to a shop and have them add one for 20 bucks.

Jeremy, do you know if I could put a clicker on my BCX 5600? And who does that?

Thanks,

Jfitalia
04-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Jeremy, do you know if I could put a clicker on my BCX 5600? And who does that?

Thanks,

I dont know anyone by you by Gordon Gee at Sacramento Pro Tackle can and I have another buddy names Gary that can do it.

iggybabble
04-23-2013, 09:06 PM

100% agree with this! it may or may not have as many ball bearings as some of the newer reels, but its no accident that you find older ABU reels that still work flawlessly. ive got an old, red ABU 5000 with the little tiny pearlescent handle knobs on it, its likely from the 70's, still works perfectly. these reels were meant to last for generations

Trout Spanker
05-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for your help and feedback. I kept asking around and no doubt Abu's hold up but many people are reporting on the performance of the Tica's as well as quality also it didn't hurt that I found it on sale as well at my local shop.