PDA

View Full Version : when to book a trip?

FishnBeer
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
for my buddys bday we decided to an ocean salmon trip most likely out of monterey on a party boat. what time frame would be good for catching salmon? we were thinking june or july but we really just want to go when its gonna be good.

it has been a while since i have gone fishing in saltwater. what type of fishing would we be doing for them? live bait trolling what?

salmonid
04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Sounds like it's pretty good now. Should only get better from here til September. The fish will be getting bigger too.

Party boats will tell you how they fish it. Usually troll or mooching dead bait.

Best,

FishnBeer
04-24-2013, 12:58 PM
so we decided on second week of may. plan on bringing my own rods. got a penn jigmaster w/fresh 30lb mono on 7' rod. also have avet sx on 8' okuma rod loaded w/50lb powerpro. does anyone use braided line in the ocean? should i use it & tie on a fluoro leader??

salmonid
04-24-2013, 01:33 PM
You better check with the captain on the braid. Not sure about lately, but some of them don't allow it since it can "cut through" other guys mono.

slick88
04-25-2013, 07:22 AM
for my buddys bday we decided to an ocean salmon trip most likely out of monterey on a party boat. what time frame would be good for catching salmon? we were thinking june or july but we really just want to go when its gonna be good.

it has been a while since i have gone fishing in saltwater. what type of fishing would we be doing for them? live bait trolling what?

Which boat did you book? The big boats mooch and do not troll.

BTW, Monterey salmon fishing has been slow since the opener. The salmon counts haven't reached double-digits each trip, with an average of 1-5 per trip.

All the action now has been centered at the deep reef area west of Half Moon Bay. The charter boats have been getting early limits this week.

FishnBeer
04-25-2013, 12:47 PM
wow you are right. we were looking at randys fishing and they reported 7 fish. ouch!

Randy's Fishing Trips - Monterey, CA (http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/landingdetail.php?landing_id=39)

SF21
04-25-2013, 01:29 PM
hey have been limiting out of bodega too.

Skipjacker707
04-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Limiting out of bodega??? Where are those reports? I heard they found a small pod of fish one day but besides that it has been slow. But if you have a reliable source let me know because I have been wanting to get out there!!

tattor
04-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Bodega has been crappy. Spending 5 hours looking for fish and maybe finding a few is not worth it. Wanna catch fish? Launch in Sausalito and follow the boats out. About 22 miles south west of the gate. Just unbelievably wide open. A bite I've never seen.
Or you can hop on a boat and not have to trailer your boat down there.
Went out two days this last week. Monday and Friday. Monday 2 hour ride to the fish. Less than 2 hours fishing for for limits for 22 people. Went yesterday. Less than 2 hours fishing limits for 60 people. Its getting them off the hook and the lines back in fast enough. CHAOS!!!
The boat I was on literally had limits for 13 guys in 1 hour."Hogg Heavan" Back to the dock before noon. Just incredible. The other 2 boats about 30 minutes later for limits for 50 more people.
The New Rayann, Hogg Heaven, and Outer Limits out of Sausalito have them pegged. $110.00 and they drop you right on top of them. You couldn't run your own skiff out there for that kind of money. AND they will fish as long as necessary. They're not afraid to burn fuel in order to find the fish.
It was so fast and furious I didn't even have time to open my thermos of coffee led alone pour a cup. It was fun.
My buddy had never been salmon fishing prior to yesterday. He lands the first fish. Lands the most fish and we split the big fish pool." I landed the big one:vrolijk_26:" Now how can that get any better.
Really a cool start to this season.
This the daily salmon update number. Just runs down the counts for their boats. 415-927-4529
Reservation 415 924 6851.
Truly enjoyable.

Face Book https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Rayann-Sportfishing/187238411319503

iggybabble
04-29-2013, 09:49 AM

When to play poker, what table to sit at? same thing as fishing, its a guess, a gamble! consistently, the Bay Area fleet probably has the best results year in and year out, they can cover the water from about Pigeon point up to 10 mile beach above Pt Reyes, they are the closest to the Gulf of The Farallones, and arguably more salmon are landed there than at either Bodega or Monterey bays. I prefer the Sausalito fleet, but i know them all well, have fished and worked all those boats

FishnBeer
05-18-2013, 11:18 AM
well we went out yesterday with randys fishing on the Sur Randy. 10 anglers, no salmon to the boat.

captain said its been very slow down there. apparantly there has not been hardly any baitfish in monterey bay so we had no live bait & were using frozen chovies and herring. pulled the plug on salmon action around noon and started picking up rockfish. got a few coppers and almost legal ling.

sure was nice having that big boat almost all to ourselves. a few more fish would be nicer tho

JB14
05-18-2013, 05:09 PM
HMB and now GG are the hit spots. Monterey and SC haven't turned on this year hardly at all.

LURKER916
05-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Bodega has been crappy. Spending 5 hours looking for fish and maybe finding a few is not worth it. Wanna catch fish? Launch in Sausalito and follow the boats out. About 22 miles south west of the gate. Just unbelievably wide open. A bite I've never seen.
Or you can hop on a boat and not have to trailer your boat down there.
Went out two days this last week. Monday and Friday. Monday 2 hour ride to the fish. Less than 2 hours fishing for for limits for 22 people. Went yesterday. Less than 2 hours fishing limits for 60 people. Its getting them off the hook and the lines back in fast enough. CHAOS!!!
The boat I was on literally had limits for 13 guys in 1 hour."Hogg Heavan" Back to the dock before noon. Just incredible. The other 2 boats about 30 minutes later for limits for 50 more people.
The New Rayann, Hogg Heaven, and Outer Limits out of Sausalito have them pegged. $110.00 and they drop you right on top of them. You couldn't run your own skiff out there for that kind of money. AND they will fish as long as necessary. They're not afraid to burn fuel in order to find the fish.
It was so fast and furious I didn't even have time to open my thermos of coffee led alone pour a cup. It was fun.
My buddy had never been salmon fishing prior to yesterday. He lands the first fish. Lands the most fish and we split the big fish pool." I landed the big one:vrolijk_26:" Now how can that get any better.
Really a cool start to this season.
This the daily salmon update number. Just runs down the counts for their boats. 415-927-4529
Reservation 415 924 6851.
Truly enjoyable.

Face Book https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Rayann-Sportfishing/187238411319503

This dudes gonna get 17 more folks cuz of this report.

Tight lines