PDA

View Full Version : dungeness crab spot

koke_fiend
04-24-2013, 07:41 PM
anybody have any info on crabbing either just outside the gate or HMB? just got some cheap danielson traps and trying to catch dinner while trolling for salmon (i like buffets).

SF21
04-25-2013, 06:41 AM
i would just pick a sandy bottom 20-30 feet deep.

I would also zip tie all the corners, add at least 5lbs of weight, and weigh down the doors with egg or pencil sinkers.

striperking13
04-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Not too many keepers this time of the year. Your gonna find lots and lots of females around the Golden Gate. Most of the males have been caught and have moved to deeper water. Hope that helps, with gas price coming down, it might be worth a trip, but check for swells and tide movement. The less water moving, the bigger the window of catching crab... FISH ON

koke_fiend
05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
are females not legal or something? DFW regulations for recreational ocean fishing dont say anything about females? or are they just not good to eat?

thanks for any and all info

DRF
05-02-2013, 07:20 PM
are females not legal or something? DFW regulations for recreational ocean fishing dont say anything about females? or are they just not good to eat?

thanks for any and all info

It's legal to keep them, but guys in our boat all agree to release them. That's just the way it is for us. Besides they have a lot less meat.

Sent from my Droid

koke_fiend
05-02-2013, 10:04 PM
ok, will release all females from now on. thanks for the info. I wish everyone would release sturgeon. it's a shame seeing 5-10 100yr old fish taken from the bay almost every day. gonna end up like the 2010 salmon season