PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay 6/11/06

crazy4fishing
06-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Got out to throw some hair raiser for stripers at Marina Beach with my brother-in-law. Nothing. Arm started getting tired. Switched to sardines. Kept getting hits but bait was gone. So switched to smaller hooks. Tossed it back out. Before weight could hit bottom, fish on. Pulled in a nice size smelt. Fished for another half hour and called it a day. Between my brother-in-law & I, we caught a half bucket of smelt(27 total). Every cast we would hook up. Fun but wished we could of hooked up with some striper. Oh well. saw alot of birds diving but they were too far offshore. Even saw a pod of dolphins or whales. Couldn't really tell. Talk to a few fisherman out there. They have been catching a few striper here & there. Nothing big though.

keciga1
06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Thank you for the report. Yeah those smelt sure are fun to catch on light tackle when you get into a school. :)

CenCoast_Angler
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Hey, at least you got out there and tried!
More than I can say this year. Haven't tried for stripers yet.

I've got a good friend who dives almost everyday. He goes out off Del Monte beach a lot for halibut and has seen schools of stripers cruise through before. Saw a school of 16-20 inchers two weeks ago. I told him to call me immediately next time he sees em...and I'll post it here, in the Saltwater Forum when it happens.
Also, a guy trolling for buts caught an 11lb striper Sunday in front of the hotels.

I like to throw bucktail jigs tipped with a half squid.

PK

crazy4fishing
06-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey, at least you got out there and tried!
More than I can say this year. Haven't tried for stripers yet.

I've got a good friend who dives almost everyday. He goes out off Del Monte beach a lot for halibut and has seen schools of stripers cruise through before. Saw a school of 16-20 inchers two weeks ago. I told him to call me immediately next time he sees em...and I'll post it here, in the Saltwater Forum when it happens.
Also, a guy trolling for buts caught an 11lb striper Sunday in front of the hotels.

I like to throw bucktail jigs tipped with a half squid.

PK

Sweet!!!!! Can't wait. Also do you know when is a good time for Mackeral on the wharf? In past year, I usually go for them around July. But it has been almost 7 years since I have been mackeral fishing. They sure are fun to catch. Maybe next time I am out there I will try rockfishing. Never tried it. Still reading old threads to get a few pointers. Where is a good area in the Monterey area? Thanks in advance.

keciga1
06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Mackarell come and go out on the pier. I was out there last year and was talking to this older guy there that goes out on the pier quite often and I asked him the same question, and that was the response I got from him. This was that day when they found that person dead in the car, that was I think last year or the year before that. Don't know if anyone remembers or heard about that one. My car was parked 3 spaces donw from the car where they found the dead person.

tfosters
06-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Where's Marina beach?

crazy4fishing
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Where's Marina beach?

On highway 1 right before you hit seadside/monterey. Exit Reservation rd. then turn right. about a few hundred feet is a parking lot. Find a spot to fish from there.