PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Browns.

AlbeeFishing
04-25-2013, 04:46 PM
So Iv decided that this year is going to be the year that I land a nice brown. Iv only caught one and he was just a weee little guy. Ive tried every time I go out but I just have not got them. So Im reaching out to all you guys. What is the best method? Trolling or soaking bait? What is the best lures? I dont want any super top secret info I just need some help. And yes to you smart ass guys there are browns in the lakes I fish...lol

Thanks for any help..

Bainter1212
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
Troll baby troll. And stock up on some Rapalas. Some solid and some jointed, some that dive deep and some that dive medium depth. Browns are generally more predatory than other trout, and once they get to a certain size they prefer baitfish over insects. Get some Pro cure and slather it on the Rapalas, it can't hurt. I like to use a small Seps dodger or some mini micro flashers along with the lure.
Although I am sure there are guys on here who are way more successful than I am who will chime in.

Bainter1212
04-25-2013, 05:55 PM
If you are bank fishing throw a medium size Kastmaster.

D. Lloyd
04-25-2013, 06:12 PM
Kastmasters anywhere from 1/4-3/4 oz favorite is brown trout or silver/blue. Go to brown lure is 1/8-1/4oz jig with 3" Berkeley power minnow plastic. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

AlbeeFishing
04-25-2013, 07:12 PM
Troll baby troll. And stock up on some Rapalas. Some solid and some jointed, some that dive deep and some that dive medium depth. Browns are generally more predatory than other trout, and once they get to a certain size they prefer baitfish over insects. Get some Pro cure and slather it on the Rapalas, it can't hurt. I like to use a small Seps dodger or some mini micro flashers along with the lure.
Although I am sure there are guys on here who are way more successful than I am who will chime in.

I find myself on the boat more then shore. Its more comfertable. Thanks for the advise. Iv done most of this except Ive been shown that if you troll a big lure you should use big doders or large flashers. I will try to mix it up. Some one told me to use my K15 and K13 for browns. Have you been more succesful fast trolling or slow?

My normal rig is a dipsy diver or EZtroll to get low. Then about 3' leader to big cow bells then 2' leader to a rapala 1"-2.5". Trolling at about 1.5-2.5Mph.

Marv
04-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Big stick minnow baits in rainbow trout color, you can also get a color that matches one of the types of forage fish found in the lakes you fish (shad, bluegill). You can use almost any plug meant for bass fishing to catch browns with.

Lures are just the beginning though, as it would greatly help if you studied up on their feeding habits during certain seasons/water temp. Most of the times browns hide when the sun is up and feed when it's down. You can definitely catch them during the day though. They also like to come in shallow at night and feast near the bank, munching on planted rainbow and other things. So trolling near the bank and shallow points in low light hours, crap that sounds dangerous, would probably be the best I can come up with. Good luck

RideNfish
04-26-2013, 06:43 AM
So trolling near the bank and shallow points in low light hours, crap that sounds dangerous, would probably be the best I can come up with. Good luck

And "that" is why you use a side planer if trolling. You can run right up against the bank. Also trolling close to the bank and someone casting at it can be good. Or just drift in the breeze along a shoreline casting plugs to it. Field & Stream just did a brown article using stick baits up to 4" in lakes and medium sized rivers.

AlbeeFishing
04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Wow from the sounds of it I need to use all my rapalas for bass for these guys. Iv had the gear all along but thought it was all to big for them..lol :duh:

Bainter1212
04-26-2013, 07:39 AM
Yep, Browns are often just as ambitious as a ditch pickle.

dabalone
04-26-2013, 07:43 AM
One year fishing Iron Canyon, don't remember what month but it was lightly snowing. I was reeling in a rainbow maybe 15 inches, a brown probably 12 to 15 lbs came up and latched on to it. After a short tug of war he pulled the trout off. Apex predator, if you want a really big fish use a really big bait, may mean long stretches of no action but when it happens its what you are looking for. Seeing something like that guaranteed to get your heart pounding.

iggybabble
04-26-2013, 08:20 AM
as ambush predators, they frequently will be found in areas where deep water channels or contours come up into shallows rapidly. find a spot where 20-50 foot depths come up to 5-10 feet of water in say a few boat lengths. Rapala's, Trophy stick's, Bomber Long A's, Rebels, Yo Zuri's all work well, id concentrate on using 3-1/2" to 6" plugs, you should have a selection of both jointed and solid, deep divers/sinking models and floater/shallow divers. Black over gold is an old standby, and you probably want Rainbow trout color, and likely a Kokanee imitator depending on waters fished.......Flashers, Dodgers, cowbells, lake trolls and the like, i dont like myself, and here's why! yeah, i suppose they can be seen from further away, and may produce noise and vibrations that could attract fish, but once you hook a fish, all this extra junk on the line makes it easier for a hooked fish to escape. everytime a hooked fish changes directions, the attractors typically cause the line to bow back behind the fish, and depending on how long a leader you use between the attractor and lure/bait, and how big the fish is, ive seen flashers actually hit the fish on the sides or tail, and the fish go berserk. everytime a fish changes directions, the hook pulls at a different angle, and it can wear a larger hole in the fishes jaw.

AlbeeFishing
04-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Are spoons a productive lure for browns. I have some that I use for Striper and salmon.

Jfitalia
04-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I find myself on the boat more then shore. Its more comfertable. Thanks for the advise. Iv done most of this except Ive been shown that if you troll a big lure you should use big doders or large flashers. I will try to mix it up. Some one told me to use my K15 and K13 for browns. Have you been more succesful fast trolling or slow?

My normal rig is a dipsy diver or EZtroll to get low. Then about 3' leader to big cow bells then 2' leader to a rapala 1"-2.5". Trolling at about 1.5-2.5Mph.

this sounds like your trolling with a bit much. get rid of the cowbells and go with just a large rapala.

CAL.NDN
04-26-2013, 02:20 PM
And pick up the speed a lil.

Steelhead Stalkers
04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
I troll a lot of jerk baits for browns. Most of the time I long line them. Do the occational jerk while trolling too! I also troll pretty fast! I am actually heading to Wickiup in a week to get into some brown trout. Good luck.

GSPhunterangler
04-26-2013, 05:21 PM
If you ain't jerkin, you ain't catchin.

finsane
04-26-2013, 08:16 PM
I agree with most, my.02.....LONG setbacks, 250 and longer. Speed up, 3.5 and up butt don't be afraid to vary that while trolling. Bigger plugs, f-13 and f-18 sizes are my regular in rapala and the like. Power Pro with a topshot of your choice about 50-80 ft. And yes, rip that bait!!! If your running a dodger or cowbells you wont get the rip your looking for.....

Steve079
04-26-2013, 08:46 PM
I decided the same as you, this would be the year I target browns. I caught one nice brown to date, rolling shad. I see these nice marks under and around the Kokes I fish for, so my shad was down 20 under the kokes. I released the brown, but was happy to keep the limit of kokes that came as a bonus.
As stated, they are predators of opportunity.

i was running the usual koke gear on different rods, although we did catch one 13" koke on a rolled 3" shad.

One Brown is luck, when I catch a second, well, that will be something. So I'm not giving advice, just an option to try. Good Luck

CAL.NDN
04-26-2013, 08:48 PM
And a nice brown it was steve.

pcwa_guy
04-26-2013, 09:33 PM
as ambush predators, they frequently will be found in areas where deep water channels or contours come up into shallows rapidly. find a spot where 20-50 foot depths come up to 5-10 feet of water in say a few boat lengths. Rapala's, Trophy stick's, Bomber Long A's, Rebels, Yo Zuri's all work well, id concentrate on using 3-1/2" to 6" plugs, you should have a selection of both jointed and solid, deep divers/sinking models and floater/shallow divers. Black over gold is an old standby, and you probably want Rainbow trout color, and likely a Kokanee imitator depending on waters fished.......Flashers, Dodgers, cowbells, lake trolls and the like, i dont like myself, and here's why! yeah, i suppose they can be seen from further away, and may produce noise and vibrations that could attract fish, but once you hook a fish, all this extra junk on the line makes it easier for a hooked fish to escape. everytime a hooked fish changes directions, the attractors typically cause the line to bow back behind the fish, and depending on how long a leader you use between the attractor and lure/bait, and how big the fish is, ive seen flashers actually hit the fish on the sides or tail, and the fish go berserk. everytime a fish changes directions, the hook pulls at a different angle, and it can wear a larger hole in the fishes jaw.

Good stuff!!!! Though after what I experinced a few weeks ago with Jake of Trophy Sticks I will never buy them! He has terrible customer service! My friend and I got harrassed and threatened while fishing two saturdays ago. Jake stopped his boat and was driving around us cussing and making threats while we were trolling all because my friend has complained about Trophy Sticks he had purchased all cracked and broke and how Jake's customer service skills were just as bad!!!

Owlman2
04-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I read and heard from knowledgeable people that really large old browns feed mostly at night. Particularly in heavily fished waters. I also have some personal experience to back that belief up.

Where legal to do so, night fishing is a good option. Unfortunately it introduces a lot of hassles not present in the daytime....

AlbeeFishing
04-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Wow all of you guys are really really helping me with great ideas. I will be fishing at Scotts flat this hole next weekend in a private small tournament. I'm going to try all of these great ideas. I hope I will have some great pics to post too.

iggybabble
04-29-2013, 08:35 AM
whats causing the Trophy sticks to crack and break? ive cracked and broken lures over the years, usually as a result of casting a little too far, and hitting rocks or other structure above the water line. i tend to wait til a tackle shop runs a sale on a particular lure, be it a Rapala or whatever, then i buy several.....the Trophy sticks are pricey, i try to save my more expensive lures for days spent trolling lakes, rather than for shore casting. if you were truly harassed and threatened by someone regarding your views on his product and customer service, thats a serious issue and should be resolved through proper channels.

Barleycorn
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Hey Gabby you can pick up F11- F13 Rapalas on Ebay for $5-6 if you keep an eye out. Thats all you need bud!

pcwa_guy
05-02-2013, 08:12 PM
AlbeeFishing if you have a hard time getting browns in CA, like others have, you can always goto Oregon, some of my wifes family live up there. They keep asking us to go up there to fish a few lakes close to them. They say brown fishing up there like rainbow fishing here; EASY PEASY! A few other guys I know say its brown trout heaven in Oregon, and there's no reason why if one was to go up there and spend a few days one couldn't come away with a trophy or two!!! Now only if I could find the time!!!!

TroutGhost
05-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I lived too far from browns when I lived in Oakland so I didn't have experience with them. However there are browns out here where I'm at now. Most of them are stocked although there are wild ones in the rivers.

From what I gathered around here, from experience and talking to local anglers catching browns, the difference between rainbows and browns is that browns know the difference between a lure and food. Present them a piece of nightcrawler or a mealworm and the browns will eagerly go for it. They don't ordinarily fall for artificial worms on sliding sinker rigs the way rainbows do.

When they fall for artificials, they fall for them because of the movement. Gold Thomas Buoyant spoons in the bright sun will take them. Gold Kastmasters and Firetiger will catch them, too. I've even gotten them to hit a 1.75" Kalins scrub on a 1/16 oz jig. From my experience and also confirmed by talking to successful and experienced anglers out here, the browns respond to movement that suggests the lure is alive.

There's an old timer out here that does well floating a mealworm three feet under a bobber, pulling out brownie after brownie from about 6 or 7 AM onward. I've fished besides him and when the bite stopped the Kastmasters came out.

This morning I was out fishing with little luck so I pulled out a 1/4 oz Johnson Splinter Spoon in Firetiger (it looks like a Kastmaster but with a better quality treble). I walked around the lakeshore casting and retrieving the lure from different areas and after about fifteen minutes hooked a nice looking brown trout. The Johnson Splinter spoon resembles a Kastmaster but it's less expensive. I like the Firetiger pattern on it better than on the Kastmaster.

AlbeeFishing
05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Wow all of you guys are really really helping me with great ideas. I will be fishing at Scotts flat this hole next weekend in a private small tournament. I'm going to try all of these great ideas. I hope I will have some great pics to post too.
So pics are coming. I didn't get any Browns but we did get into a bunch of Rainbows. The weather turned and the bite switch got flipped. 14 fish in 2 hours all ranged from 1-1.79 pounds. All good fighters. Most on salmon eggs, but switched to bass and tossed a rapala shad rap broke back and got 2 more rainbows. Great weekend. I am still on the hunt for the illusive browns. thanks again.