PDA

View Full Version : Kastmasters

michaelthefish
04-25-2013, 05:35 PM
These are good lures for trout and I have used them alot. They are easy to use and are good quality.I hope this is of use.

ApexPredator
04-25-2013, 06:34 PM
I have heard so many good things about them and have almost always had some in my tackle box. They have not produced well for me while shore fishing but I have had success trolling them.

Marv
04-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I have heard so many good things about them and have almost always had some in my tackle box. They have not produced well for me while shore fishing but I have had success trolling them.

One of the first lures I tie on while bank fishing, cause I can cover water, and it's consistent for me. I like gold first followed by blue/nickel. If you wanna get crazy you can glue on some 3d eyes and run a trout worm off the tail.

iggybabble
04-26-2013, 07:56 AM
my only complaint about 'em relates to how easy a hooked fish can jump and often throw them, but what makes them outcast virtually every other lure of the same weight is what makes them tear out easier than most. they are about the most compact, aerodynamic lure out there. they used to be my #1 go to trout lure as far as spoons go, now im kinda split between 2 spoons at the #1 spot, a Jake's Spin-a-lure or a Thomas Buoyant, both seem to produce better for me in eastern Sierra lakes

westcoastdave
04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
I had a nice trout at Lake Davis throw a Kastmaster and get away. I am trying single sickle siwash hooks to help eliminate the problem of the fish throwing the lure.

DerekE18
04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
One of the first lures I tie on while bank fishing, cause I can cover water, and it's consistent for me. I like gold first followed by blue/nickel. If you wanna get crazy you can glue on some 3d eyes and run a trout worm off the tail.

another good color combo for some reason is the nickel/ orange.

danweasel
04-27-2013, 03:09 PM
I know you can twist the hooks on the treble hook to offset them which is supposed to keep Mr. Fish on better. I haven't lost any more than normal on kastmasters myself but have heard that more than once. I don't lose fish, just lures.

Man, I have lost a kastmaster 3 consecutive trips including yesterday at Drum Forebay. Sucks...

-Dan

Captain Compassion
04-27-2013, 05:53 PM
The Kastmaster is my #1 goto spoon for lakes and my #1 topline lure for trolling. The critique that they don't seem to keep fish hooked as well as other lures seems to be true. You have to set the hook agressively and I use a double hook set to make sure. The only thing that comes close to the casting ability of a Kastmaster is a Krocidile. For bows I like the gold. For LCT I like the frog or rainbow pattern.

CC

FresnoJack
04-27-2013, 10:22 PM
I think the trebles oppose each other, making it easier to throw the hook.

I always swap siwash style hooks instead of trebles.

I had a nice trout at Lake Davis throw a Kastmaster and get away. I am trying single sickle siwash hooks to help eliminate the problem of the fish throwing the lure.

BulletMan
04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
The Kastmasters are notorious for loosing fish. In my opinion, the hooks are to small. I have changed them to a larger size (a number 4 or 6 treble) and that solved my problem. Give it a try and that may solve your problem.

Jetspray
04-28-2013, 07:28 PM
These are good lures for trout and I have used them alot. They are easy to use and are good quality.I hope this is of use.

Good Kastmastering, so far you have 9 on the hook:teaseku9:. KM's are just one of many in my gear:party-smiley-048:......Jetspray

iggybabble
04-29-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah, there are options to improve hook up to landed percentages. Kastmasters use a split ring to attach hooks, you can buy premium quality hooks, either single siwash or trebles to replace the factory hooks.....in the case of the siwash, since the single hook weighs less than a treble, you can use a larger hook, which sometimes helps.......Cabela's sells a lure kit with an unbranded, generic copy of a Kastmaster, you assemble and save some cash

finsane
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
I know you can twist the hooks on the treble hook to offset them which is supposed to keep Mr. Fish on better. I haven't lost any more than normal on kastmasters myself but have heard that more than once. I don't lose fish, just lures.

Man, I have lost a kastmaster 3 consecutive trips including yesterday at Drum Forebay. Sucks...

-Dan

Just curious, beside the obvious tackle loss how did you do at drum ?

danweasel
04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Well we were just riding around on the quads more than anything. Didn't actually fish for more than a half hour and caught nada. But...

The guy I talked to said he caught a ton that morning including a few good sized silver salmon! He was hanging around for the evening bite and from what I have heard from everyone, that's the only time to fish there, mornings and evenings. Makes sense since its basically just a oval shaped gravel pit, I suppose.

Let me know if you find out more, ok?

-Dan

TroutGhost
04-30-2013, 04:33 AM
I lost three rainbows yesterday on a gold Kastmaster. The powerbait/micetail/grub bite shut down where I was at, all anglers nearby stopped catching too. So I whipped out the KM and bombed it out there with my eight foot pole. Guy fishing next to me was like, "Whoa, you really get that out there!" Yep, that's what the 8 foot pole is good for!

Immediately got a bite but it shook off after a five or so seconds. Two more bites that also got off, only this time at the shore. Tried slow retrieve and fast retrieve, fast was what was getting them.

Saw a guy landing browns with the gold Thomas Buoyants last week, although he lost a few as well.

I like the casting ability of the kastmasters. I was positioned on an angle to a southern shore, on the east shore, so casting out from there allowed me to cover a long stretch of shore about twenty to thirty feet from the southern shore. I will switch out the kastmaster hook to an Owner or Mustad treble and see how that works.

panther
04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure that the hookup ratio is better with Siwash hooks. Sometimes I use small River2Sea spoons (slightly less than 1/8 oz.). They come with a single hook. I think I lose more fish with this lure than when I use 1/8 oz. Kastmasters with treble hooks. I have put Siwash hooks on some of my Kastmasters, but haven't found the hookup ratio to be better. Panther