PDA

View Full Version : Shad recipes?

LILALILFA
04-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Anynew ones? Thanks.

WHT.RUS
04-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Anynew ones? Thanks.

My OGs pickle them. But then again, they're from a country where food was scarce and life was tough. I never tried them and probably never will.. They also can be BBQed. If you really want to try them, I will ask my folks on how to prepare them.

westcoastdave
04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
My mother in law from the Philippines made fish cakes (like crab cakes) out of shad. They were delicious. I have heard of Hawaiians making fish cakes out of bonefish. Just go online and look for fish or crab cake receipes.

BIG_ONE
04-26-2013, 04:29 PM
1. Shad Fillet
2. Stick it through the meat grinder
3. Garlic Salt
4. Onion Powder
5. Corn Starch or Rice Flour - lightly
6. Turn it into bite size nuggets
7. Beer Battered of your choice
8. Deep fried until golden brown
9. Dip in tartar sauce/cocktail sauce/ketchup
10. Open yourself an ice cold beer and enjoy it with anything else you want to add

:party:

BIG_ONE
04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
1. Crockpot
2. Shad Fillets(4-8 fillets)
3. Garlic Salt
3. Minced Onion
4. Minced Cilantro + Green/Spring Onion
5. Cubed Tomatos
6. Cubed Potatoes(can be substitute with sweet potatoes - I prefer sweet potatoes)
7. Cubed Carrots
8. Thin sliced Celery
9. Double layer of Bacon(cut in half or quarters)
10. Now let the pot do its work for 3-5 hours and then enjoy your shad stew!

:cheesy:

BIG_ONE
04-26-2013, 04:47 PM
1. Shad Fillets
2. Potato Cubes
2. Stick it through the meat grinder(shad fillets + potato cubes)
3. Kosher Salt
4. Black Pepper
5. MSG(optional - and no; there's no dangerous side effect - scientific proven)
6. Garlic Powder
7. Minced Onion(white onion preferred - yellow will do fine as well)
8. Eggs(1 egg every 2 fillets)
9. Mix them all together
10. Turn into patties
11. Beer Battered
12. Deep fried until golden brown
13. Hamburger buns + the rest of the items you like on your hamburgers & enjoy!

:o

BIG_ONE
04-26-2013, 04:50 PM
My mother in law from the Philippines made fish cakes (like crab cakes) out of shad. They were delicious. I have heard of Hawaiians making fish cakes out of bonefish. Just go online and look for fish or crab cake receipes.

+1 adding shad fillets with the crab cake recipes.

dabalone
04-26-2013, 05:49 PM
And what about the bones? If you don't take the time to completely debone your shad what is it in the recipe that dissolves or softens the bones?

BIG_ONE
04-26-2013, 06:45 PM
And what about the bones? If you don't take the time to completely debone your shad what is it in the recipe that dissolves or softens the bones?

The meat grinder will break them into teenie weenie little bits. You can hardly feel them after you fried them, they become brittle(only if you toss them through a meat grinder). The crockpot will turn the bones into butter. You can steam or bake as well, but it will take more time for those bones to become like slicing a knife through butter as it doesn't have enough pressure to shorten the amount of cooking time compared to a crockpot. Either one works good...shad is in my top 3 list of fish to eat.

BeefCakeScout
04-30-2013, 10:38 PM
two shad, gutted,head and tail removed.

put em in a casserole dish, with a couple lemon slices and S&P

foil lid

bake at 250 all night while you sleep.

Wake up,douse with franks redhot and eat with crackers.

BIG_ONE
05-01-2013, 12:21 AM
You can sleep with the oven still on? Geez...I got all kinds of things running through my mind if I even attempt doing such thing.

BeefCakeScout
05-01-2013, 08:39 AM
no problem.......250deg isn't even hot enough to ignite dryer lint

BIG_ONE
05-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Hmm...anything with heat that is on scares me if I sleep through it. Except for the house heater of course. LOL.

johnyee1
05-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Tried something new today. I cut some boneless strips with skin removed and was initially going to batter fry them but my oil smelled a little funny so I brined, skewered, and smoked them. They turned out okay.

WLShafor
05-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Classic Shad Roe with Bacon

Prep Time: 24 hours, 5 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 24 hours, 25 minutes

Ingredients:

4-6 lobes of shad roe
1 T. salt
6-10 pieces of smoky, thick-cut bacon
Flour for dusting
1 lemon, quartered
Fresh herbs such as chervil, fennel or parsley to garnish

Preparation:

Mix the salt and 2 cups cold water until it's dissolved. Submerge the roes in the salt water and let soak in the fridge overnight.

Slowly cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, then set aside to drain.

Meanwhile, flour the roes and set aside until the bacon is done.

When the bacon is finished, turn the heat to medium-high and cook the shad roe for 1 minute. Turn the heat down to medium, then cook for another 2-3 minutes, until golden. Turn and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. No longer! Overcooked roe is chalky and nasty.

To serve, arrange bacon on a plate, place the fresh herbs on the bacon and then the roes on top. Serve with a lemon wedge.

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

WLShafor
05-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Smoked Shad Aioli

One of my favorite canapes, this defeats the zillion bones in the shad by flaking out the smoked meat and mixing it with a rich, sharp garlic aioli. This dish also works well with smoked trout, bluefish or mackerel. You could do it with smoked salmon, too. It takes some time and some doing if you donít buy pre-smoked fish Ė but with pre-smoked fish, itís a snap. Hereís how to do it from scratch.

Flake the smoked shad into pieces, discarding bones and skin.
In a mortar, add three minced garlic cloves, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of mustard. The mustard need not be grand; I use whatever I have around. Mash them together. Add 1 tablespoon of minced fresh oregano leaves and mash to mix.

SLOWLY add olive oil to the mixture. I drizzle a little in, then mash and mix, then add a bit more oil, mix, and so on. Take your time and add enough oil to make is less of a mayonnaise and more of a thick sauce.

Mix this with the flaked shad and serve on crackers or crusty toasted bread. For an elegant touch, garnish with bright orange flying fish roe.

http://fishcooking.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=fishcooking&cdn=food&tm=5&gps=279_476_1020_541&f=22&tt=14&bt=0&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.honest-food.net/blog1/wild-game-recipes/shad-other-bony-fish-recipes/smoke-brine/smoked-shad-aioli/

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

LURKER916
05-07-2013, 04:42 AM
Cá Bẹ Kho Ė Shad

Clean the fish and cut it into steaks

Marinade: (approximately 2 fish)
Green onion, chopped into 2 inches length(10 onion-ish)
Garlic, chopped thin(4 clove-ish)
Thai Chili pepper, chopped thin(to desire)
Sea salt(3 small spoon-ish)
Ground black pepper(1 spoon-ish)
Fish sauce(about Ĺ cup?)
Oil(a little bit)
Mash the solid ingredients together then add the liquid and marinade the fish for 3+ hours

Pre-cooking:
In a pan, add water (1 cupish?). Heat up the water. Meanwhile, smash some garlic, salt, ground black pepper and green onion together. When the water boils, add the smashed product and stir. Drain the liquid from the marinated fish into the pan as well. Wait until it starts to boil then add a little bit of black pepper (if like). Add some ground chili pepper. Begin placing the fish into the pan. Do not flip the fish too much, but when you do make sure not to break up the meat. Cover the pan with a lid. When liquid is boiling, use a ladle to pour the liquid on top of the fish repeatedly. Do not flip the fish at this time. You can shake the pan so that the fish will not stick to it. Keep pouring the liquid on top until cooked then add a can of coconut soda (the liquid). Taste it! When Vietnamese people cook, we eyeball our ingredients and use our tongue for taste test. If it needs more of something add it. Too salty means add more water. Cook until the fish is soaked with flavor from the liquid.

Slow cooking:
When finished cooking with the pan, we have to transfer the fish to a slow cooker. First, transfer the fish over to the slow cooker being careful not to break it apart. Then pour in the liquid from the pan. Cook the fish on high for about 1 hour and then 2 hours on low. Keep warm after finished cooking.
Notes:
Iím sorry that this recipe is not very detailed. When we cook, we eyeball most of our ingredient and do not follow a standard recipe. This is only one of the methods out there. Be sure to taste the cooking and add whatever is needed. After the fish is slow cooked, the bone should be very soft and edible.

LURKER916
05-07-2013, 04:44 AM
FYI. This recipe is awesome. I've had it quite a bit. Anyone who has a chance should try it.

BIG_ONE
05-07-2013, 05:38 PM
FYI. This recipe is awesome. I've had it quite a bit. Anyone who has a chance should try it.

It's a famous Vietnamese dish. I've had almost very similar recipe with a bit more ingredient to bring out a more vibrant flavor. Works great with shads, stripers, sturgeons, catfish, tilapia, and etc. Although it's not that good with salmon due to the texture of the fish itself. Still one hell of a great dish over rice with a shot or two of rice wine afterwards.

:redface: