PDA

View Full Version : Trolling on a party boat

rballguru
04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Hi All,

A few buddies and I are going out on a party boat next Friday trolling.

Can any of you please help me out with what we need to bring and what is needed?

I have reels with both braid and mono. What do you guys think is better?

Most boats charge extra for the wieghts? Cost? I am assuming so.

Anyway, any inof or tips you can provide for trolling for salmon on a party boat would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

nayr
04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
First and foremost get there early! If the boat is due for departure at 6am get there before 5am. Getting there early will give you a choice of where you to fish on the boat. Typically the rod holders at the stern will fill up first and then up the sides ending at the front. Fishing at the stern allows you to fish a little deeper also and usually results in more fish. Usually.... be on the boat around 4am if you want to guarantee spots on the stern for your group. the weights on party boats are usually priced near cost. Concerning braid or mono, it really depends on too many factors that u can anticipate at this moment. The factor in successfully trolling with 20 other lines in the water is consistency in the angle of your line. Braid can often create an inconsistency because of its smaller diameter than braid. You could compensate for this with a smaller weight, but thats probly more work than its worth.

Minimize what you bring, the boat can fill up real fast when everyone has a cooler. As far as tackle goes you could bring a couple sinker releases, some 2.5lb weights, and a 4-6ft leader with a swivel in the middle tied out of 30 or 40 lb test.

rk2fish
04-26-2013, 09:24 PM
Nayr pretty much has it right on the money! I went outta HMB on the Queen of Hearts earlier in the week for my b-day. While I have a capable boat to go out of there, we have never been fishing there before,so we opted to try a party boat. I got to say, I was a little skeptical taking a party boat trolling,not knowing what to expect,since all the party boats we took in the past were usually mooching. I got to say, what a class act. It was a very organized operation! Although I did take an extra pole with braided line, I didn't even ask if I could use it because I didn't want to cause any grief on others on a full boat. Like nayr said, it's all in the effort of everybody's angle of the line. The captain mentioned only using 2.5lb weights,so if you can find a store with cheap weights, you might want to get some. I ended up going thru 4 weights at $7 a piece. One of the guys next to me probably went thru 7 or 8 of them. You might want to bring a pole stout enough to bear the 2.5lb weight on your line. Btw, our boat limited out & I won the jackpot! Good luck.

rballguru
04-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the adivce guys. Sounds like I'll bring mono on my reels. I'm assuming they have leaders on the boat but I will tie some up.

You guys tie a 6ft leader with a swivel 1/2 way up if I read that correctly? Also, what size and kind of hook? I know barbless and I have plenty of Owner octopus. Just not sure what size.

Been on enough boats to know to get there plenty early. Thanks!

It's the Sniffer sponsored trip on the New Easy Rider so I'm sure it will be crowded.

dabalone
04-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Never been on a salmon trolling party boat. But on a albacore boat while trolling it was a set number of rods in the water while trolling with different set backs and they rotated fishermen and the rod locations. The trolling was mainly to find fish and then stop and chum them to the boat. When stopped and dropping live bait it was kind of grab a spot but they did ask people to rotate out of the best spots.

nayr
04-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the adivce guys. Sounds like I'll bring mono on my reels. I'm assuming they have leaders on the boat but I will tie some up.

You guys tie a 6ft leader with a swivel 1/2 way up if I read that correctly? Also, what size and kind of hook? I know barbless and I have plenty of Owner octopus. Just not sure what size.

Been on enough boats to know to get there plenty early. Thanks!

It's the Sniffer sponsored trip on the New Easy Rider so I'm sure it will be crowded.
Oh sweet trip to be on. The new easy rider is my always my first choice. No hooks needed because joey will be rigging up baits for you guys with a hook pinned through them already. So the end of your leader should have a snap on the end of it to easily replace baits.

Big Game
04-27-2013, 08:22 PM
OK, This one I can help on. A Veteran of about 40 years of Partyboats - so listen up. First - I am assuming "Salmon" as you mentioned "weights". 2.5 or 3 Pounders if you are trolling.
Any of the Marinas will have the setups you will need. Most of the boats have extra weight you can buy.

Yeah, get there early. Very difficult to beat the Hardcores - seems they don't work - or sleep - My Personal favorite Rod Holders are the last holder on either side of the Stern - facing OUT - if not available the BOW - 1st Rod Back either side. (But then the Screws, the Prop, The "Blade") can cut off your Bow Hookup. But Really, somedays - it's a Crapshoot and it doesn't matter

If you have not been on the Ocean before - DO NOT sit in the Cabin on the way out the Gate if you feel queezy - get some fresh air right outside the Cabin - but not in the "SPRAY" of the waves from the sides. Let your knees act as shock absorbers and quiet the ride. Be Ready with a fresh Anchovy when they tell you to drop. Count out the measures - don't freespool. Remember the depth - in case you hookup. Vary it if you are not successful - if you can. On the sides you are more limited to varying.

Let us know how you do. Good Luck - Big Game. PM- Me if you need anything else.

slick88
04-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Hi All,

A few buddies and I are going out on a party boat next Friday trolling.

Most boats charge extra for the wieghts? Cost

Which boat are you going on?

I know the Sausalito fleet charges $5 per 2.5 lb sinker.

In addition, boats will already provide you with the leader. Dead anchovy baits on cable or crowbar hooks are also included. You can bring your own "dog-whistle" sinker release but the boats will loan you those.

iggybabble
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
25-30 lb Mono, leave the braid at home if party boating.....6 foot leader, 30 lb hard type mono, swivel in the middle, small snaps at either end. leave the hooks at home, the deckhand will prepare baits for you on hooks. its a crapshoot on getting there early, hard to tell what depth the fish will be at, and how many people on board. Listen to the Capt and deckhand, they know more than you do! its a team effort on a party boat, if you work together with the other guys, and fish at the depths suggested you will have better odds. The crew wants you to catch your limit, when you limit out they get to go home earlier......I speak from experience.

Barleycorn
04-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Iggybabble hit the nail on the head, as I also speak from many years of experience decking. Feel free to drop me a pm as well and I can help reccommend a few quality party boats with good crews. It does make a difference!

Barleycorn
04-30-2013, 11:54 AM
PM sent back Tim!

rballguru
05-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it. I called the boat and tackle kits are $15 which includes 2 weights and rigs including sinker release. I'll probably just do that so I know I have everything.

I'll let you know how I do. Should be good fishing.

Tim