PDA

View Full Version : Collins Lake Sniffer derby

CRABBY
04-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Anybody go to the Sniffer derby yesterday at Collins lake??Results??..Thanks ...Don

CRABBY
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
SAY WHAT !!!!!Somebody must have went!!Don't be bashful,how did it go??.....:jumping-smiley-011:

calamari
04-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Crabby/Smog, I think the Fish Sniffer derby is next week.:jumping-smiley-011:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/trout-board/103345-collins-lake-fishing-derby-saturday-may-4th-2013-a.html
I was there on Friday. Water temp at the surface at 10 am was 64 deg., 54 deg. was at 25 feet. At 2 pm the surface was 70 deg. and 54 deg. was at 30 feet.
We had 11 fish on, landed 7 and kept 6. No big jumbos but nice planters that give 2 meals per fish. Since there is an upcoming derby I won't give more details but there were as many boats fishing bass as trout and there were a BUNCH of new guys showing up late Fri.

CRABBY
04-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Congrats on a good day calamari an thanks for the update!!!The Sniffer derby was the 27th of April.!!!!!Don't ask me why!!! I wasn't asked for an opinion otherwise I'd of said something!!Oh Well,lol.....The derby you referred to is for a church an their youth group,it's a good cause an I encourage anyone to help if they can.The Sniffer derby was/is posted on our front page(home page) an was also in the FishSniffer news an posted at Collins Lake website an store!!....Don>>>>>>>>>>>>>EDIT>>>>>>>http://www.fishsniffer.com/blogger/details/cal-kellogg-to-host-trout-tournament-at-collins-lake-on-april-27/

dabalone
04-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Yeah its what I read also, 27th, seems odd no one has posted about it one way or the other.

jlivengood
04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
I fished the Sniffer Derby on the 27th, there was a great turnout, I believe I heard just over 200 people participated. The largest trout was just north of 8 lbs, with the top ten in the adult division ranging from 3 lbs on up. Places 11th to 20th were rewarded with new Abu Garcia rods.

There was also a great youth turnout, the largest fish there was just over 3 lbs. Top ten in the youth division started at just over a pound and a half up.

Fishing was tough for some (myself included) while others seem to have done quite well. For me the day started with two quick fish between 7:00 and 7:30 and then dried up. At noon we had a quick spurt putting three more fish in the boat in the next hour, including a very close double with our two largest fish of the day. My youth fish partner was just a couple of ounces out of making the leader board.

However, like any day I get to spend on the boat fishing it was a great day. My best friend had his entire family in the derby and since his boat was crowded his youngest daughter fished with me. She was great to have on board, extremely self reliant fisherman and can handle a net.

Congratulations to everyone who took home a prize from the day.

On a side note, while I love Collins Lake, the staff and their fishery, the boat dock and parking area can be quite chaotic with that many people.

redneckpunk
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good turnout. I too was surprised we didnt see any reports. But given the fact the derby was scheduled on the same day as the trout opener, I know most of our "big" posters were up the hill on the combat line.

Agree 100% about dock situation. Last year there was a second derby going on during the Sniffer derby. Best solution is to go up Friday night and spend the weekend camping. That way you can anchor/beach/dock your boat the night before and be ready first thing in the am and not worry about getting off the water saturday afternoon. And if you're not a camper, they have some great cabins and trailers at good prices.

~RNP

DannyM
04-29-2013, 06:42 AM
My son and grandson also fished the derby. We pre-fished on Friday and caught
over 20 trout releasing most of them. We trolled again on Saturday for the Derby
and it was a tough day. We only boated 4 trout, none of any size. I was thinking
the difference was all the boat traffic on the lake but who knows.

Bottom line Cal the the Fish Sniffer staff did a good job with the Derby. Plenty of
prizes and give aways. A beautiful day on the Lake with my son & grandson.

AlbeeFishing
04-29-2013, 11:19 AM
I used to camp there every summer as a kid and it was great. I used to fish there when I got older. But I cant get passed that every year the prices have gone through the roof. The crowds are insane, to many skiers and wake boarders. I don't go any more. I mean $22 to launch for the day. come on that's insane.. Hey but to each there own..lol

Jfitalia
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
I used to camp there every summer as a kid and it was great. I used to fish there when I got older. But I cant get passed that every year the prices have gone through the roof. The crowds are insane, to many skiers and wake boarders. I don't go any more. I mean $22 to launch for the day. come on that's insane.. Hey but to each there own..lol

wait its 22 bucks to launch a boat? or is that including the day use and fishing.

CRABBY
04-29-2013, 12:11 PM
wait its 22 bucks to launch a boat? or is that including the day use and fishing.That would be for the day use,boat inc.parking an up to 4 people per car....Very cheap an it's cheaper with a vet or ol guy discount....:wink:

Jfitalia
04-29-2013, 12:35 PM
That would be for the day use,boat inc.parking an up to 4 people per car....Very cheap an it's cheaper with a vet or ol guy discount....:wink:

Oh ok, I thought it was 22 just to launch! Man if I only knew some old farts that liked to fish! :wink:

AlbeeFishing
04-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Oh ok, I thought it was 22 just to launch! Man if I only knew some old farts that liked to fish! :wink:
I like my free spots and my $5 ones. Most ive paid is $13. That's average for a lake.
Ya I like there discount $2..lol

RideNfish
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Man if I only knew some old farts that liked to fish! :wink:

You do! He lives in Grass Valley. Though he likes to fish he just doesn't. LOL

redneckpunk
04-29-2013, 02:29 PM
You do! He lives in Grass Valley. Though he likes to fish he just doesn't. LOL

He fishes but just never posts any reports....Lurker! LOL!

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlivengood
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM

You can take a Vet fishing and get the discount also. A nice way to payback for their service to our country!

CRABBY
04-29-2013, 03:31 PM
He fishes but just never posts any reports....Lurker! LOL!

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHey now,I would post stuff but I just forget to do it,or forget the details,or just have to much junk to deal with here an I just lose interest!!!Plus being a Lurker is fun!!!LOL...:1repkrokodilsmilie1

redneckpunk
04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey now,I would post stuff but I just forget to do it,or forget the details,or just have to much junk to deal with here an I just lose interest!!!Plus being a Lurker is fun!!!LOL...:1repkrokodilsmilie1

...or dont want to share the secrets. :conspy6bc:

CRABBY
04-30-2013, 05:24 AM
...or dont want to share the secrets. :conspy6bc:LOL,what secrets?I know one thing!Englebrite is closer to me,$4 for day use,An the pens have been opened!!...:)

Katfish
04-30-2013, 06:08 AM
Collins Day use is $10 and boat launch is $9... Unless they changed there prices in the last three weeks.......

DRF
04-30-2013, 06:14 AM
LOL,what secrets?I know one thing!Englebrite is closer to me,$4 for day use,An the pens have been opened!!...:)

4 bucks and big fish. That lake is a sleeper. Don't tell anyone Don. :D

Sent from my Droid

WHT.RUS
04-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Those fees are nothing compared to Almador. Although the fishing might be better at the more expensive lakes.

CRABBY
04-30-2013, 06:28 AM

Sent from my DroidLOL yeah,but ya just did HAAAAAA...Worst part is walking up those steep steps at the end of the day,or ya park an get down to the boat an remember what ya forgot in the truck an up ya have to go back up!!!!!!!:lolk:

DRF
04-30-2013, 06:54 AM
LOL yeah,but ya just did HAAAAAA...Worst part is walking up those steep steps at the end of the day,or ya park an get down to the boat an remember what ya forgot in the truck an up ya have to go back up!!!!!!!:lolk:

Lol. I do the disconnect thing over at the narrows when I do go :screwy:

Sent from my Droid

Jfitalia
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM

Sent from my Droid

I have been wanting to try it for awhile now. The the water fluctuate as much as people say it does?

calamari
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
I have been wanting to try it for awhile now. The the water fluctuate as much as people say it does?
Englebright is a Corp. of Engineers debris dam that fluctuates very little in my experience. It actually has weed beds along the shore line.
I went before they released the Englebright pens and caught one DFG planter about 8" long. Five guys came in when we left and all had limits about 8" long. The pen fish are much bigger but get quickly pounded.
One thing I didn't mention about my Friday before the Sniffer Contest weekend at Collins was that they had placed buoys in a large rectangle in front of the beach and then had nets with fish inside that exclusion zone next to the shore. If you trolled by out in the lake you could see the fish splash and their fins sticking out of the water. I assume it was for release on the morning of the derby. It's not a wilderness experience but I like to eat fish and Queenie likes to pull on them so we go until about this time of year when the traffic gets especially weird and the temp. gets hot. You can watch the Bald Eagles make the Ospreys drop fish and drink beer so it's fun.
They do nothing to control boat speed or trailer parking. 5 mph zone? Laughable. Everybody parked their trailers in the ramp parking lot making it impossible to park an attached trailer and truck. Be early from now on or ...I don't know.

CRABBY
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Calamari,start heading up the hill, LGV is a gem an only about 50 min's farther up the hill(ALL UP)!!!!Lot of fish an NO crowd!!Most won't go there much cuz it's to steep a climb an sucks up gas....Tip #2 for ya all....:)

calamari
04-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Calamari,start heading up the hill, LGV is a gem an only about 50 min's farther up the hill(ALL UP)!!!!Lot of fish an NO crowd!!Most won't go there much cuz it's to steep a climb an sucks up gas....Tip #2 for ya all....:)
Thanks. I fished there almost 50 years ago...one time. There are other places closer to home that are nice too. Now that summer has started it's time to factor in the surroundings as well as the fishing.
You can't beat Collins for fishing and pleasant conditions in the spring, the summer at night on the East side for catfish or the fall.
One thing I've noticed about Collins is that there are two oddities about the fishery. I started fishing it in the mid 1960s when it was one of the 3 threadfin lakes that were a new deal back then. They were Mendocino, Berryessa and Collins.
In the fall when the lake turned over and the threadfin were on the surface fly fishing with threadfin imitations for boiling fish was spectacular. Now, although I mostly fish in the spring, there aren't many indications of threadfin and I don't see any boils like there used to be in the spring there.
Also, they plant large fish there but nothing seems to survive the year they plant them. When they plant a 10 pound trout, if there is a healthy food source, there should be some fish in the mid to high teens and even 20# class caught occasionally but there isn't. This tells me that they have really got a program of over planting with truly a put and take system that depresses the threadfin population. There used to be 10 pound Browns that came out of that lake in the 60s too.