PDA

View Full Version : Mendocino for the 4th

Fish-on
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I was hoping for some help - I will be camping on the beach someplace in Mendocino for the 4th of July weekend. Can someone tell me what I can expect to fish for from the beach and what gear to bring? I have never been up that far and have no idea what to expect and what is bitting....Maybe a hali or some perch on ultra light or fly gear. I REALLY DONT HAVE A CLUE!

Redwine
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Fish-On,

Where in Mendocino will you be staying?

I do a lot of surf fishing up there.

Redwine~

Fish-on
06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Mr. Wine...

I will be staying at Casper RV Park / Camp ground. My buddy who booked the trip said it is right on the beach but I am clueless. Where abouts do you fish and for what?

Redwine
06-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Fish-On,

The Casper area has mostly cliffs to fish off of. There are several promontories that stick out into the ocean that you can cast from. I look for areas that have minimal kelp, but with submerged rocks.
I use a 12' two piece poll with a spinning reel w/20Lb test. A tobacco pouch filled with sand and tied to a swivel is the perfect weight. If you get snagged, the pouch ripps and you usually get you hooks back.
If I'm fishing for perch I use the following: I start out by tieing a double knotted loop about 18" up from the weight, then another loop about 18" above the first one. Then attach to each loop a #6 snelled hook (they come in six packs with line attached). I buy the frozen squid for bait.
(Bi-Rite store in Fort Bragg)
Take a squid and cut the body in half about 3" from the tail end. Cut that piece in half the long way which leaves you with two long triangular pieces of bait. take the wide end of the squid and fold it down 1/2' then put your hook throught it twice. Cast out and wait.

For ling cod and caps use 30Lb test w/ the same tobacco pouch set-up, but use a single loop tied 18" up from the weight. Attach a 3/0 snelled hook to the loop. Take a whole squid and run the hook through the tail of the squid, then run it throught the middle and finally through the head. cast out and wait.

Another place to fish is the rock wall at Noyo Harbor, Fort Bragg. Try using a small rootbeer colored scampi w/20Lb test. Just keep casting out and letting it sink for a few seconds and reel it in with a jerking motion.

The best time to fish is when the tide is coming in.

Good luck!
Redwine (not Mr, LOL!!)

BASNFAN
06-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Fish-on,
I stayed at Casper several years back. Its a nice, clean little RV Park but they do pack you in close to each other. Right out the gate of the RV park is Casper Beach. Its not too large and I did not fish it but it should be good for perch. Fishing close to either side of the beach will get you closer to the rocks for possible rock cod etc. Good Luck
BASNFAN ;)