PDA

View Full Version : Ocean charter

Jimmy_M
05-02-2013, 09:48 AM
There is a large group of guys at my job that are interested in going out on a charter in the next month or so, not reallly targeting a specific species. Does anyone have any recommendations on guides/charters or species of fish to target. I've never ocean fished and don't even know where to begin.

Thanks,

Jimmy M.

rballguru
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I'd give James Smith a call. He runs the California Dawn out of Berkely. IMO, he is, hands down, one of the best captains up this way. He fishes inside or outside the gate depending on what's hot at that time.

I've fished with him numerous times and done well regardless of the species targeted. Halibut/stripers, rockfish/lingcod, sharks...it doesn't matter.

For salmon, the New Easy Rider is a good bet, too.

Good luck.

Tim

nelson9
05-04-2013, 08:54 AM
If you want to catch a lot of fish, do a rockcod lingcod trip. Normally lots of action with a variety of different cod. Limit 10 rockcod and 2 lingcod. If you want something more relaxing
go for halibut and striper inside the bay. Rockcod season opens June 1 in the bay area. For halibut, I would wait for live bait (anchovies) to become available before booking a trip. Live bait might be available mid May or into June. If you do rockcod outside the gate, make sure to take seasickness meds. One Bonine pill the night before works for me.

oceansprint
05-04-2013, 05:39 PM
It really comes down on how many guys are going, you can certainly charter a bigger boat for less cost per person, that could be up to 30 guys i believe. Or you can do a 5-6 pack, but that will be more expensive per person, I believe $125+ tip.

If you charter a boat, you can have options on fishing, e.g. you can start with trolling for salmon, and then you can switch to rockfish in the afternoon.

Halibut & stripers are lots fun in the bay once the bite is hot and live bait present. That could be paired with shark fishinhg, if you into that of course.

Outer Limits is great boat out of Sausalito, it's a catamaran, and can accomodate a lot anglers comfortably. I beleieve their specialty is mainly salmon, but if you charter a boat, you can improvise, I'm sure.

Hope this helps!

TL!

joez3
05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Is HMB too far? I would check out the Queen of Hearts, I have been out with them several times and Bob will everything to find fish for you. Rock cod and salmon are open now.

fishslammer
05-05-2013, 06:34 AM
I've been on several different boats and the best boat and crew is the New Easy Rider out of Berkeley. This is one of the hardest working boats around and knows how to catch fish. Give CPT Joey a call.