PDA

View Full Version : Where are ocean salmon in the water column?

Poisson Idea
05-02-2013, 02:50 PM
How far down are the salmon when they are holding off shore, or do you have to try throughout the whole column? If they are chasing krill or bait, I could see the forage moving up or down with light conditions, etc., but I'm wondering if I can manage without downriggers. I have flat line weights for the top and trolling planers for deeper lines, but they will only get down 20-30' at most (my east coast mackerel gear!). This may do later in the season for albies, but I want to know if it's worth trying to adapt this to salmon. Advice appreciated.

koke_fiend
05-02-2013, 06:53 PM
downriggers are a must, buddy :goodnight:

Starcraft27
05-02-2013, 09:36 PM
You can get to the salmon without downriggers. Party boats use around a 2.5lb ball sinker on a release to get down to the desired depth. Any decent tackle and bait store can set you up. Its a tried and true way to easily get in their zone.

Skipjacker707
05-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Downriggers are the best way to fish for salmon but I have fished 2-3 pound weights in the past and done just as well. The downriggers just save some money and may be able to put you at you're desired depth with more accuracy.

Poisson Idea
05-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to know.

Fishbutt21
05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
downriggers are a must, buddy :goodnight:

If this were the case the salmon season could be open year round since a lot of guys like myself that have never used downriggers would not be a threat to salmon. Lucky for me and most of my buddies lead is cheap and works great for salmon trolling. For me 1-1.5lb and up to 2.5lb works good under most conditions on my boat

koke_fiend
05-07-2013, 09:51 PM
I stand corrected, I'm not much of a tree hugger but I certainly don't believe in dropping lead into the ocean for my pleasure... might as well dump your waste tank while your at it...

Fishbutt21
05-07-2013, 11:50 PM
I stand corrected, I'm not much of a tree hugger but I certainly don't believe in dropping lead into the ocean for my pleasure... might as well dump your waste tank while your at it...
I will agree with you that dropping lead may not be perfect but I am just recycling my lead since it came from out of the ground I am just returning it to the earth

Sekkyo
05-08-2013, 10:40 AM
It all depends on the water clarity. If it's super clear, they can go deep, like 100 ft or more. If it's murky, they'll be up closer to 20-40 feet.

Poisson Idea
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
It all depends on the water clarity. If it's super clear, they can go deep, like 100 ft or more. If it's murky, they'll be up closer to 20-40 feet.

That makes sense.

As for the lead in the previous post - are you talking about an actual break-away rig? Sounds pricey (and pollute-y), but I'm curious what the set-up is. Maybe I could make some cement molds for the weights in that case.

Actually, the jettisoned lead would be negligibly toxic unless actually eaten - that's unlikely, but would be quite toxic...

fishingmark
05-10-2013, 10:07 AM
That makes sense.

As for the lead in the previous post - are you talking about an actual break-away rig? Sounds pricey (and pollute-y), but I'm curious what the set-up is. Maybe I could make some cement molds for the weights in that case.

Actually, the jettisoned lead would be negligibly toxic unless actually eaten - that's unlikely, but would be quite toxic...

Something that you might try is to use a second rod with heavy enough line attached to your lead 2.5lb ball to recover it after a hookup. I have not done this but a good friend fishes this way and swears by it. The action of a lure behind a 2.5lb ball is alot different than using a downrigger and sometimes will out fish a downrigger.

salmonid
05-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Good idea,

I've heard of people using this method up in WA and they called it a poor man's downrigger. Makes sense and if you only need riggers once in awhile it could be the way to go for fishing kokes or ocean nooks. You could also use a real DR weight if you have a heavy enough rod, that's how I've understood the guys up north do it.

Best,

Something that you might try is to use a second rod with heavy enough line attached to your lead 2.5lb ball to recover it after a hookup. I have not done this but a good friend fishes this way and swears by it. The action of a lure behind a 2.5lb ball is alot different than using a downrigger and sometimes will out fish a downrigger.

SalmoClarki
05-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Salmon can be anywhere in the water column. Right now they're catching fish on the bottom @250'. Not much fun fishing the mud but that's where the big boys have been.

stonesfan
05-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Try a " Pink Lady " I think they can get down to 50-60 feet............................:oregonian_winesmi le

Stoney:rollingstones: