PDA

View Full Version : Family camping trip....where to go?

49erbassman
05-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Well I did a similar post last year and ended up with a fantastic trip to the Carson river for the first time. Caught my PB trout and all at just over 6# and my sons PB at 3#.

So here it goes again. We're looking to take trip in mid July and more than likely a weekday trip rather than weekend. We are willing to drive 3 hours or so from Sacramento. Tent camping or cabin rental will work but must be close to fishing of course. We're looking for new places. A few places we have been recently-Shasta lake, Carson River, camp far west, Collins,east park,pine crest,Rollins,mc cloud river.

Fire away with ideas or feel free to shoot me a pm.

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Well if caught my personal best teout last year i know where i would be going agin there are plenty spots to camp up there also and bunch of lakes and rivers and creeks just hop around. Judt saying though.

Cali Duck
05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Oroville
Sly Park aka Jenkinson
Berryessa
Stumpy Meadows
French Meadows

All close to sac and offer decent fishing too!

49erbassman
05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
That's on our list Chris. Only problem is last year they had fliers posted up every where about a problem with disease and rodent feces. My wife for being a great outdoors woman is a germ freak and won't go back to that campground so we have been looking at cabins in the area.

You know I will be calling you for all the info if we do go there. Marinpaul and mariahpup helped me a ton on the first trip there 👍

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
05-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Caples silver lake hope vally there all good and hop skip and a jump away if you wana hit the rivers and creeks.

atavuss
05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Cabins at: Caples Lake, Kit Carson (Silver Lake), Sorensen's Resort, Carson River Resort. Too many campgrounds in the highway 88 corridor to list. Vacation rental homes in Markleeville and Tahoe. Bridgeport area motels.

CRABBY
05-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Rob,Little Grass Valley res.!!!47 min from Collins Lake!!!All up hill but well worth it!No power or cell service.Cabins are available in La Porte 15 min's away with all that stuff...Don

redneckpunk
05-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Ice House
Hell Hole
Carson River Resort has cabins

fishingfrieda
05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Stoney gorge. Free. Great bass fishing. Bathroooms suck though. My kids love it there.

WhopperStopper
05-03-2013, 08:52 AM
49er, if u want to switch gears from traditional camping by lakes, ponder taking a trip to the coast. There are several state parks along the coast that offer exceptional camping opportunities. Some favorites of mine are doran beach and bodega dunes near bodega bay. There are a multitude of different fishing opportunities for example crabbing, poke poling, and leopard sharks and rays. You can get into rockfish, smelt, lingcod, and an assortment of sea perches out there too. It is aslo a great place for kids. Activities like beachcombing and checking out tidepools are sure to keep them interested. Most of the state parks have nice ammenities such as clean facilities (bathrooms/showers). The campground mentioned are also close by to some touristy destinations/shopping opportunities that may make the wife happy. Run a Google search on coastal state park campgrounds if u are interested.

WhopperStopper
05-03-2013, 09:01 AM
I must add that there also is a marina inside bodega harbor that offers pretty decent fishing opportunities. There are also some outstanding restaurants nearby that serve up some of the freshest and most delicious seafood dishes I have ever experienced. There is also a marine research lab near bodega head that offers tours that can be a fun and rewarding learning excursion.

WhopperStopper
05-03-2013, 09:04 AM
In the summer months you can expect good fishing fishing for leopard sharks, bat rays, and smelt. Rock and red crabs can also be had and like I mentioned earlier, rockfish and monkeyface eels are always plentiful.

delta916
05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Grover Hot springs. Plenty of trout fishing close and at the end of the day you can rest your weary bones in the hot spring pool

Nor*Cal
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Never heard of Hell Hole, gonna have to check that one out myself! i have heard Lett's Lake is pretty Good. Black butte is good but you might want to check the water levels before you go. it tends to drop pretty low sometimes.

49erbassman
05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Stoney gorge. Free. Great bass fishing. Bathroooms suck though. My kids love it there.

Isn't Stoney and east park the same place?

Fish on!

Nor*Cal
05-03-2013, 01:54 PM
nope, two different lakes fed by the same creek. Stony is a few miles north of east park res.

49erbassman
05-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Thanks Nor Cal. East park has two different sides as well doesn't it? I've always been to the dirt road no pay no sites open camping part. Great party place but hot as hell with no trees to shade ya!

Fish on!

spdbump
05-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Bullards bar res north of Collins lake. Killer bass fishing

49erbassman
05-03-2013, 03:43 PM
From what I recall bullards bar has very limited bank fishing? If my larger boat was up and going I love the boat in sites they have. One of my favorite teenage trips was a week long camping trip at bullards. We had an entire peninsula to ourselves!! I need to get Don to take me out to Bullards and show me where all those spots and smallmouths are!!! Lol

One caveat is it has to have good bank fishing!

Fish on!

CRABBY
05-03-2013, 04:46 PM
From what I recall bullards bar has very limited bank fishing? If my larger boat was up and going I love the boat in sites they have. One of my favorite teenage trips was a week long camping trip at bullards. We had an entire peninsula to ourselves!! I need to get Don to take me out to Bullards and show me where all those spots and smallmouths are!!! Lol

One caveat is it has to have good bank fishing!

Fish on!Oh thanks Rob,you put me on the spot!LOL!Well for one thing BB at that time of year is lice heaven!!!They take over everything,booze,drugs,noise an belligerent attitudes!!An they get on the water about 9 o'clock!!I'm telling ya LGV is still cool,the big browns are hard to get then but the small kokes an planter trout are easy!!The campgrounds will remind you of Yosemite!!It's to far to haul a gang bangin boom box boat so ya get very few if any which eliminates most noise an drunk jerk problems.Let me know if ya want to go an I'll drag my boat up camp an take ya all out!!Last year it was 18/20 bucks a night!Water an nice bathrooms inc.along with a friendly camp bear now an then!!!!!!!!.Also there is bank fishing an a swim beach!!!!....Don

Jayling
05-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Anyone mention Almanor great fishing, campgrounds, Mt. Lassen short trip away

siskiyoufisherman
05-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Come to where the temp is cooler in the summer. Siskiyou Co. Want River fishing? Dunsmuir has camping on the river 2 miles south of town at the Castle Crags campground or at the railroad park campground or stay in one of their caboose. 8 miles north is lake Siskiyou, campsites, trailers or cabins with fishing,peddle,or pontoon boats for rent. There is a sand beach, hiking trail, and much more.

49erbassman
05-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Great ideas guys!! Keep em coming....bodega bay sounds nice

Fish on!

Jimmy_M
05-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Growing up we would go to Stumpy Meadows and it was always fun. If I remember right campsite 32 or 33 was furthest away from other campsites but still close to running water.

Line Stretcher
05-06-2013, 04:02 PM

Fish on!

The summers at the coast are hit and miss. You'll get two nice days and the third will be fog. Living just 20 miles inland from Bodega Bay and spending many a summer there at our bay house I can tell you that the best time of year for the Bay is October.

Have you given any thought to Eagle Lake. Camping or Cabin Rentals are easily attained and the lake will likely fish well from the shore this year. I'm going up at the end of June for a week. My favorite time of year for fat fish is October but the fishing is good all the time.

Another thought might be Burney Falls (Driving Directions (http://www.burney-falls.com/?page_id=41)). I have fond memories of camping there also.

49erbassman
05-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks! We have considered Burney as well but a buddy of mine owns a trailer and some land up there so we have a trip planned in August.

Fish on!

CrappieJed
05-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Blue lakes all the way

Jed

CAL.NDN
05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
I say jeds ponds :)

49erbassman
05-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Chris we can swing by Jed's after we're done fishing your honey holes lol

Fish on!

XPL051v3
05-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Collins lake is nice. It remember during summer it can be hot. I like going up in the hills in the Sumer time with a little elevation. If you like trout and stream fishing check out Elam campground. There at about 20 sites so during the week you won't have a problem getting a spot. They plant trout in the stream weekly so it's always fun. If you hike around the stream where it hasn't been fished so heavenly you can get some nice natives. If I remember right it's 14 a night. Bathrooms are decent and great people up there. It's about 25mins from lake almanor.

-Xzi

spdbump
05-07-2013, 07:32 PM
If Crabby is taking ya out to Bullards can I hitch . Lol
Lake Amador had some pretty good bank fishing when I was a kid. Not sure how it is now. Comanche and Hogan were good to. Lake Tullock (copperopolis area) was good to but not sure about campsites there.

unhookt
05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
I have a boat camping trip planned out to Bullards (one of the boat-in campsites) with the family (wife and 2 girls, ages 2 1/2 and 5) and now I'm having second thoughts. Is the place too rowdy for an outing with the young ones? We'll be there during one of the mid-June weekends.

redneckpunk
05-14-2013, 01:39 PM
We took 4 kids up to Bullards last summer, even after warnings from CRABBY about the rowdiness and found it wasnt too bad. We stayed in a campground, not a boat in site, and with the exception of one group behind us being noisy and drunk until LATE/EARLY it wasnt bad. And once they were asked/threatened to shut the hell up, all was good. Its become a popular spot for wakeboarders so on the lake you have to deal with them and their loud so called music. If you're going to fish it, the lake is dead calm and empty until about 10am.

~RNP

unhookt
05-14-2013, 03:30 PM
:signfishon34hi6zv:

CRABBY
05-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I have a boat camping trip planned out to Bullards (one of the boat-in campsites) with the family (wife and 2 girls, ages 2 1/2 and 5) and now I'm having second thoughts. Is the place too rowdy for an outing with the young ones? We'll be there during one of the mid-June weekends.Try an get a camp site that isn't around other people if ya can an you'll be ok!!Also watch for rattlers which are very common in the area!!The boat in site's are hit an miss with the drunks!!Keep in mine that many of these wakeboarders have kids also an may be really cool to camp next to!!!BUT ya never know,the odds are against you,an with boat in camping you are 100% on your own!!!Yuba county Sheriff patrols BB all the time an it keeps em busy!Call them an see what they have to say!!.......Don

Fishmeister
05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
If you haven't been camping in the Chrystal Basin area I would highly suggest that you consider it. Ice House, Union Valley and Loon lakes are all close to each other and have camp grounds. There are also lots of streams and some really great hiking. It is also not far from Wrights Lake and Dark lake.

Loon lake is the entrance to Desolation Wilderness and there are some really good day hikes into the wilderness with some high mountain lakes within a day trip.

Make sure you bear proof your camp if you go to these areas. Especially if you camp at Loon.

Rugby Lock
05-20-2013, 07:26 AM

Fish on!

Bodega Dunes is nice (choose the upper loop unless you loooove sand...) but I much prefer Wright's beach which is about a couple miles north of BD. Small campground right on the beach. If you want a primo beach side spot plan on booking 6 months in advance. Can't fish that particular beach as it's just too dangerous due to the sleeper waves.

fishingfrieda
05-20-2013, 09:28 AM
The other place I have taken the kids is called morning star camp ground. They have a small lake, stocked, general store, padle boat rentals, showers. The owners are strict and it is very family oriented. Very nice little camp ground. I believe it's up by sugar pines. Bears do roam at night.