walkndogblues
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
2 fish 23 pounds was the big one

walkndogblues
05-03-2013, 10:37 AM
14130Pot winning fish 23 pounds good for $75

salmonid
05-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I don't always believe those reports since it's run by the guys that want to sell you a spot!

Little bit different that a fishing forum like the sniffer.

Best, that big one looks great though, hopefully you caught it!

walkndogblues
05-03-2013, 11:08 AM
No I got skunked and it cost $100 plus gas to go on that trip, most guys who go on those trips have a lot of money, so they don't mind but I can only go a few times a year due to my income so it really hurts to get skunked:duh:

dabalone
05-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Over the years none of my experiences on cattle boats have been productive, some people have it figured out and do really well, I am just not one of them. Sry you didn't do better, maybe next time.

ampm
05-03-2013, 11:42 AM
No I got skunked and it cost $100 plus gas to go on that trip, most guys who go on those trips have a lot of money, so they don't mind but I can only go a few times a year due to my income so it really hurts to get skunked:duh:

Sucks but that's how it goes. I've spent a lot over the years and been skunked several times, worst has been sturgeon hunting. Probably been out 8 times on 3 different boats and caught exactly one under-sized fish. Couple times sat out there for 6-8 hours and not even a bite. Worse yet, was i brought my kids a couple times, hoping they were going to get into one and nada. Same w/ Salmon hunting. No guarantees w/ fishing! Keep hunting, they come when u least expect it.

Hercules100
05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Pricey fishing

I had a boat at Spud Point for 14 years. When you figure the cost of the boat, berthing maintenance, gas=gas=gas=gas, new manifolds every 4 years, a prop or two, new trailer tires, rusted breaks, etc. etc. etc. It is more cost effective to go on a 6 pac 3 times a month during the season, but you generally can't pick all six guys and there's just something about being in charge of the day. Now I just go out on Tahoe and fish for Lake Trout, fresh water and calm water, this is an old mans game.

LT

shasta_steve
05-03-2013, 07:32 PM
When I first read your post I thought that you only caught 2 fish and the boat reported EZ limits. Reading the USA reports it looks like they were doing well but not on the day you went out. It sucks but that is pretty much just fishing. I know $100 is a lot of money but compared to the cost of taking a boat out or even driving any kind of distance it is pretty cheap. As others have said I am not a fan of those cattle boats either.

Now that being said I have found that most reports are overstated. When I was banished to Southern California for a few years my company would charter a boat to go fishing. I would always read the reports and get excited about how well they were doing, only to be disapointed we were not the lucky ones. The funny thing was when I would read how we did in the reports it was like I was not even on the same boat.

slow= have not heard of a fish being caught in the last two weeks.
fair= heard of a fish being caught in the last two weeks
good= know someone who caught a fish in the last two weeks.
excellent= anyones guess

salmonid
05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
LOL! steve,

joez3
05-04-2013, 06:13 PM
I think usafishing.com is just passing on what the boats owners are telling them. It not like they are NYT where they try to verify everything they print. I think the best thing to do is try to find a boat that you trust and go out with them. Salmon fishing for me has always been iffy.

double time
05-05-2013, 10:59 AM
I love the "its not like the nyt where they try to verify what they print"that sounds as accurate as a party boat fishing report .the seeker is a quality boat and they try to put you on the fish.salmon are hard to fish for on a party boat because generally your limited to muching.try rock and lings-better odds and a lot of good tasting dinners-god bless and good luck
I think usafishing.com is just passing on what the boats owners are telling them. It not like they are NYT where they try to verify everything they print. I think the best thing to do is try to find a boat that you trust and go out with them. Salmon fishing for me has always been iffy.

PapaGreg
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
For me, the most honest reports (besides the people here) have come from the Queen of Hearts. They want your business, but don't stretch the truth. Every time I've been out with them, the fishing has been pretty much how they said it would be, whether that was slow, fair, good or excellent. I've only gone rock fishing with them, don't do salmon on the p-boats anymore, I save that for Alaska. Last salmon trip I did was on the Butchie-B out of SF, probably 7 years ago. It wasn't bad, but the fishing was poor, the weather was crummy, so you can't blame the captain for that.

salmonid
05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey Papa,

I used to fish out of the Butchie B quite regularly when I lived in SF, 10-17 years ago. I still have two of their punch cards that would get you a free trip out after 9 or 10 paid ones. One is like 7 full and the other is about 5? I lost one for awhile, LOL.

I wanted to go on a party boat last summer, but found out the BB was out of business. I know the father had let his son take over, but it was just the boy's part time job away from stocks or whatever. The deckhand on the boat was a hoot, I think he was a plumber for "real work"?

Good times out there with good guys. Anyway, just remembering the old days.

Looks like you have a good recommendation with Queen, but half moon bay is too far for me these days. I prefer bodega, but have only been on one party boat that I can't recommend. Still looking for a good and honest one.

Best,

For me, the most honest reports (besides the people here) have come from the Queen of Hearts. They want your business, but don't stretch the truth. Every time I've been out with them, the fishing has been pretty much how they said it would be, whether that was slow, fair, good or excellent. I've only gone rock fishing with them, don't do salmon on the p-boats anymore, I save that for Alaska. Last salmon trip I did was on the Butchie-B out of SF, probably 7 years ago. It wasn't bad, but the fishing was poor, the weather was crummy, so you can't blame the captain for that.