PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into using braided line.

49erbassman
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM
The main reasons I want to try it-more line capacity on my reels vs mono

The main reason I don't want to use it is two fold- first I have never used anything but mono and second I have never had the need for tying "line to line" knots and the ones I have looked up so far seem complicated. Well with braid this seems like a necessity? I know you need at least one line to line knot for the mono backer when you spool up your reel.

Im thinking of starting with braid on my Curado and 8'6" Clarus that I use for salmon,steelies and striper pluggin.
I picked up some 30# power pro today

I'm also experimenting with flouro leaders right now. Trying to get with the times ya know but mono has served me well for 30+ years.

Fish on!

IronClad
05-03-2013, 05:14 PM
I still love mono but.. i love braid even more especially when it comes to horsing in fish with a big ole ball of weeds. You dont HAVE to have a mono backer, On my metal spools i just have some electrical tape to give it some friction. As far as doing leaders well it will depend on the fish.. I run 50lb on i think everything i have right now except for my ultralight ( got the spools of 50lb real cheap) and the bass dont seem to mind the braid straight to the hook =) But if you do need to tie on a leader a uni to uni knot is so easy and fast its no biggie. They also make a spiffy as can be nail knot tool that makes tying up a leader almost a joke

Tie fast knot tool

The nail knot splice is what i would use for a braid to mono. Not sure what the best knot for flouro would be

http://youtu.be/611JWRtkjOc

Swimbaitjunkie
05-03-2013, 10:35 PM
I use braid for TW frog, punch, or jigging around heavy cover.....for connecting braid to mono, one of the guys that work at Hi's tackle showed me the albright knot...pretty simple for me may I say...

BIG_ONE
05-03-2013, 10:48 PM
I use braid for everything! No stretch, incredible power for the diameter, and incredibly smooth and does not tend to kink and twist on me after a long and hard battle + does not jump off on a spool no matter how full you want to fill it(on spinning set up). A whole lot more capacity on the spool as well. I actually enjoy the humming noise from the braid running through the guide, to me it's like having bass to the music of your drag being peeled. Just keep them clear from rocks...

Brutus20
05-04-2013, 05:35 AM
BigOne what size braided do u run on your spinning reels? Cool video IronClad.

dennis l
05-04-2013, 07:50 AM
I spooled my old 251 shimano with 40lb a couple of weeks ago used the tape method for backing. Was amazed at the ease of casting with it. I used mono forever as it was my Steelhead reel for many years, no back-lash throwing plugs for Bass all day with it, I noticed that with it that you could feel every tap or nibble with it also seemed to cast a bit further. I am so impressed with the way it works I ordered enough to fill almost my other reels. I can't wait to try it on my surf reels. Now what to do with my old 1500 yard spools of mono. Dennis

Enchanted Cat
24' Trophy

BIG_ONE
05-04-2013, 08:45 AM
BigOne what size braided do u run on your spinning reels? Cool video IronClad.

I run from 30lbs up to 80lbs. I'm going to get me a new set up next year and spool it with 20lbs...

49erbassman
05-04-2013, 09:05 AM
For the folks that use nothing but braid are you bass fishing a lot with lures? Do you use mono or flouro leaders?

Fish on!

IronClad
05-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Depending on what lure type it is (like a top water) i'll toss on a mono leader to get a little stiffness to work the lure

spdbump
05-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Use it on my worm rod 30#, lets the worm sink slowly with its own weight. No leader

49erbassman
05-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I don't have different rods for every application. I have a med/hvy tourney ts special bass pro shops 7' casting rod, 7' med tourney ts special spinning rod and a 7' med action lighting rod that I use for bass. I prefer to use spinning rods for worms,creature baits, etc and use Bait casting for spinners, jigs,cranks swim baits etc. For reels I have Pflueger presidente 6940, Mitchell 300x and bass pro shops pro qualifier casting reel. I will also use my curado and I have a 6'6" Shimano compre med/hvy action casting rod.

Fish on!

ApexPredator
05-05-2013, 11:59 AM
For the folks that use nothing but braid are you bass fishing a lot with lures? Do you use mono or flouro leaders?

Fish on!

The only lures that I feel need a mono leader in my experience are jerk baits. I noticed with strait braid the lure hooks the line after a few jerks.

dabalone
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
The only lures that I feel need a mono leader in my experience are jerk baits. I noticed with strait braid the lure hooks the line after a few jerks.

Try coating about six eight inches of you braid up from the lure with super glu.

basskeeter1
05-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I use braid for TW frog, punch, or jigging around heavy cover.....for connecting braid to mono, one of the guys that work at Hi's tackle showed me the albright knot...pretty simple for me may I say...

I totally agree with Swimbait. I've never encountered the moment of either being spooled by a salmon, bass, or trout using mono line with the appropriate reel and rod!

Line Stretcher
05-15-2013, 01:20 PM
The main reasons I want to try it-more line capacity on my reels vs mono

The main reason I don't want to use it is two fold- first I have never used anything but mono and second I have never had the need for tying "line to line" knots and the ones I have looked up so far seem complicated. Well with braid this seems like a necessity? I know you need at least one line to line knot for the mono backer when you spool up your reel.

Im thinking of starting with braid on my Curado and 8'6" Clarus that I use for salmon,steelies and striper pluggin.
I picked up some 30# power pro today

I'm also experimenting with flouro leaders right now. Trying to get with the times ya know but mono has served me well for 30+ years.

Fish on!

There's a time and a place for it. I just finished testing the Power Braid Vermillion and there are times when I liked it and times when I hated it. I'm back to pulling high end Mono now and did as good with it today as I did last week on the braid.

whatsername
05-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Mono on all of my rods except one. 8'6" spinning rod with a Mitchell spinning reel filled with 20lb braid. Easy salmon rod for Mrs. Whatsername. I have a love/hate with the braid. Hard to cut, make whistle sound in the rod guides, hard to see while longline trolling at low light, seems to fish good. Don't know if its for me. Whatsername.

SHM
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
For salmon drift fishing I usually go with braid. 50lb PowerPro SuperSlick8, it's a lot more smoother and acts like mono without the stretch. You don't hear the whistling sound as much with this brand, cutting it can be solved by getting the "Boomerang Snip" cuts anything in a flash.

But yeah mono is my go to line when fishing.

Line Stretcher
05-22-2013, 12:36 PM
I just thought of a way to describe making the move to braid. It's a lot like switching to Windows 8 from XP. You'll hate it for a while but then you'll figure it out and wonder what was so great about mono that kept you from liking braid.

Just like the software, you can expect to dump braid several times and reload with mono but this will actually help since it will remind you of the limitations of mono. Each time you'll discover something new about braid that you like or don't. In the end, you'll have some of your reels spooled with braid and some with mono but the mono will mainly be for compatbility reasons, (other fisherman that hate braid in their presence).

Good luck, I'm currently back on mono but I'll try braid again soon.

P.S. Power Pro comes with spool pads in the box. You can use them instead of the mono backer and save yourself one line-line knot.

WhopperStopper
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
+1 for PowerPro SuperSlick8. That braid is awesome. Very smooth.

kingcole
05-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Simple to tie and tough. Haven't had any failures and I Striper fish and urban water fish a leader multiple trips w no issues.

Tying leader to Braid - YouTube (http://youtu.be/rnk9miNAEQ8)

K-15
05-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Word to the wise,..if your fishing level winds, and hold your index finger over the top of the rod and up under the line, feeling for bites, it will cut the hell out of your finger on hook set, if the drag slips a little. The first year the spyder wire came out,striper fishing, my left index finger was a mess, and the salt from butter flying the chovies was a added bonus.:inviz6pf: Mike