PDA

View Full Version : Windy day advice?

Nor*Cal
05-07-2013, 10:51 AM
I went out to black butte lake this past weekend and was fishing from the bank. It got really windy and I don't know if it was the wind or just me thinking the wind was messing with my fishing but needless to say we got skunked. I fished at night for cats with livers on a slip sinker and anchovies on a slip bobber. In the morning I fished for bass with poppers, lipless cranks, drop-shotting soft plastics and floating night crawlers. nadadamnthing! Oh and the wind was blowing everything in our direction and still nothing!

Am I correct when I say the wind messes up my fishing?

any tips when bank fishing on a windy day?

Marv
05-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Go home and drink beer while cursing the wind :) I hate the wind it's the only thing mother nature can throw at me that I can't stand to fish in. Snow, rain, blazing heat or freezing temp won't keep me away, but any wind over 15mph and forget about it. If you do fish in the wind, fish into it like you were. The wind pushes crap the bait fish eat to the wind blown banks and the big fish follow the bait fish.

Line Stretcher
05-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Go home and drink beer while cursing the wind :) I hate the wind it's the only thing mother nature can throw at me that I can't stand to fish in. Snow, rain, blazing heat or freezing temp won't keep me away, but any wind over 15mph and forget about it. If you do fish in the wind, fish into it like you were. The wind pushes crap the bait fish eat to the wind blown banks and the big fish follow the bait fish.

Chris, I agree with Marv. The veggies are all stirred up in the water and trout and bass love veggies. The only thing that I've found that sometimes works is a lot of flash. A lot of the time when wind is blowing hard it gets the lake to surging and that moves the bottom silt. I've seen it on the downscan sonar.

Up at Eagle, when the wind kicks up we go straight to top water and fish the first foot or so. The fish turn their heads into the wind and just sit and wait for their meal to come to them. If you don't have sidescan sonar you'll never know they're there.

What can work from shore is throwing a bobber on and then walk it down wind. If the wind is at your back then drop it in and let it drift out. If the wind is in your face your best bet is lunch and a cold one.

dabalone
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Yup, yup and yup. Wind probably doesn't bother fish near as much as it does you, if its windy I do other things.

Nor*Cal
05-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Awesome, thanks Gents! I will try all of these, especially with all the wind we have had lately. Especially the part about drinking beer and cursing the wind!

Oh and PDGS, I think you may have mistaken me with somebody else. My name isn't Chris, it's Juan. :vrolijk_26:

Line Stretcher
05-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Awesome, thanks Gents! I will try all of these, especially with all the wind we have had lately. Especially the part about drinking beer and cursing the wind!

Oh and PDGS, I think you may have mistaken me with somebody else. My name isn't Chris, it's Juan. :vrolijk_26:

Whoops sorry, I was seeing Nor*Cal and thinking Cal.NDN. Well, what the heck, I'm getting old and that's my only excuse. LOL..

Nor*Cal
05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
No worries... but now you owe me a beer! haha

dabalone
05-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Whoops sorry, I was seeing Nor*Cal and thinking Cal.NDN. Well, what the heck, I'm getting old and that's my only excuse. LOL..

But its a good one, I use it regularly.

CAL.NDN
05-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Lmao!!!! Ok im.here now steve. Good advice guys wind is good to bring bait in but not to fish in.

49erbassman
05-07-2013, 04:05 PM
For bass I like to throw buzz baits on windy days. But I prefer to stay home in windy days. Me and wind do not get along well together.

Fish on!

boxcall1
05-12-2013, 10:21 AM
As my wife's Norwegian grandfather was fond of saying:

When the wind blows from the North, the wise man shant go forth
When the wind blows from the South it blows the bait into their mouth
When the wind blows from the East, it's not fit for man nor beast
When the wind blows from the West the fishing is the best

CAL.NDN
05-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I love that saying.