PDA

View Full Version : I'm not buying anything @ Walmat

Marv
05-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Official Site of the Southern Kingfish Association (http://www.fishska.com/reform/article/wal-mart_gives_36_million_to_anti-fishing_groups/)

I go shopping there even if I don't like it, lol. It's cheap and I can get almost all I need there. Little did I know that my money was going to ANTI-FISHING groups :( all the fricken tackle I have bought there was going to people who want to take angling away from us.

This is artical from 2011 but it news to me, might be news to others as well.

CRABBY
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Official Site of the Southern Kingfish Association (http://www.fishska.com/reform/article/wal-mart_gives_36_million_to_anti-fishing_groups/)

I go shopping there even if I don't like it, lol. It's cheap and I can get almost all I need there. Little did I know that my money was going to ANTI-FISHING groups :( all the fricken tackle I have bought there was going to people who want to take angling away from us.

This is artical from 2011 but it news to me, might be news to others as well.Interesting artical Marv!Surprised more hasn't been heard about this recently!!:mind-blowing:

lunkerdown
05-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Hmmm... That is odd because they sponsor tournaments all over. I read the report and that they donated to an environmental foundation. It looks as if the report seemed to play on that to imply that they want to shut down fishing because of some of the actions of the environmental organization in the past. From what I can gather from that report, Jim Donofrio is only speculating that they are against angling because they donated money to a conservation organization who in turn may have made some bad decisions in the past. I don't really see that they have proof that Walmart is against angling. Not saying this is incorrect or anything but I don't really see too much proof and there are so many organizations that take shots at Walmart because of its size and success. Plus it looks like the site is for a special interest group which makes me very wary of how biased their opinion could be. I tried to look up news articles that may contain some information about Walmart being against angling but all I could find are articles about Walmart sponsored tournaments. I don't know if I would use this article from this special interest group as a basis to boycott buying any gear from Walmart given that it looks to be an article of opinion that Walmart is against angling rather than any real facts other than they donated money to an environmental group. Being that Walmart sponsors so many tournaments and the website this article is posted on is that of a special interest group I don't think I buy the evidence this article claims to have in regards to Walmart being against fishing. Just my deuce

CAL.NDN
05-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Yea would be hard for me to judge opinion from.a forum. Im mean come on look at some the accusations and crazy stuff that goes on on here lol. Anyways thanks for sharing.

Marv
05-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Sure they sponsor tournaments, it's called advertising Walmart may not be directly against angling, but it's millions in donations to groups who are against it.

Walmart does not want to stop sport fishing all together at once, they want to start off with the coast line. Visit the site that belongs to the group that Walmart donated the 36 millions bucks to and you'll see there intent.

But wait, doesn't Walmart make money off of tackle sales yep, will they be hurt without it, nope.

Look at Dicks sporting goods, they won't sell AR-15's anymore, because of Sandy Hook, and that is one of the most purchased gun in America.

Dick's also gives money to PETA and stopped selling Michael Vick Jerseys, but you can still get Jersey s from player how have been convicted of drug possession and spousal abuse, funny how the world works.

REI is anti gun too, I gotta stop researching this or I won't be able to shop anywhere :)

redneckpunk
05-08-2013, 06:26 PM
look at some the accusations and crazy stuff that goes on on here

it's on the internet so it must be true

Marv
05-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Don't have to believe it, beside it's only silly fishing at stake. We could always golf :)

CAL.NDN
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Yepp and im a french model bon joir.

49erbassman
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Don't have to believe it, beside it's only silly fishing at stake. We could always golf :)

You can golf I'll go fishing. It's a multi billion dollar industry and is not going to be shut down. They will continue to make it harder and more expensive and we will continue to do it.

Fish on!

redneckpunk
05-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Yepp and im a french model bon joir.

I thought that was you on the Speedo billboard. LOL! :signs703jx:

CAL.NDN
05-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Lmfao!!!!!!!! Oh bless your poor eyes then.

Jfitalia
05-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Yea would be hard for me to judge opinion from.a forum. Im mean come on look at some the accusations and crazy stuff that goes on on here lol. Anyways thanks for sharing.

ooh man this is so true! i mean after all there are members on here that think using one rod mathematically gives you a better chance of catching a fish than using 2 rods!

haha man i couldn't resist! LOL

CAL.NDN
05-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Lol well sice you started it i was gona write but bit my tounge. Kinda like salmon carcus dont help out the ecosystem. And if we make more rules people wont poach. Oh no popcorn time coming.

LURKER916
05-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Everybody sucks.

Period. Walmart has low prices. And good gear. So they get part of my business. But Fishermans Warehouse gets 95%. they are my go to. And should be everyone's here in Sactown.

Jfitalia
05-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Everybody sucks.

Period. Walmart has low prices. And good gear. So they get part of my business. But Fishermans Warehouse gets 95%. they are my go to. And should be everyone's here in Sactown.

sorry but i can't give FW my business. mainly because it's to dam far for me and their hours always makes them closed when i'm off work. i prefer to hit sacramento pro tackle because it's close to work, and is open fishermens hours! plus who doesn't love taking with uncle Larry Barnes. if there is anything else i need i when i'm at home I'll hit sportsmans warehouse, wild sports or Walmart. However Sacramento Pro Tackle is my #1 for all my salmon, trout, kokanee and bait needs.

LURKER916
05-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Haven't been there yet. Wanna try it. Where are they located?

Free lil plug for em. Lol.

Jfitalia
05-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Haven't been there yet. Wanna try it. Where are they located?

Free lil plug for em. Lol.

may be too far for you, but they're off nortgate and west El Camino. they carry the freshest bait and really cater to trollers when it comes to trout, kokanee and salmon. they also have a tremendous reel and rod repair shop run by Gordon Gee.

LURKER916
05-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Will check em out. Thanks Jeremy.

WHT.RUS
05-09-2013, 04:57 AM
may be too far for you, but they're off nortgate and west El Camino. they carry the freshest bait and really cater to trollers when it comes to trout, kokanee and salmon. they also have a tremendous reel and rod repair shop run by Gordon Gee.

Is it pretty safe shopping center? Heard too many bad things about the general area itself.

AnglingWes
05-09-2013, 05:18 AM
No different than any other establishment on Folsom Blvd or Broadway.

Jimmy_M
05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
It's always a love hate thing with Walmart. I wish Target carried better sporting and fishing equipment.

redneckpunk
05-09-2013, 09:43 AM
I have to be honest, anytime I set foot into a Walmart, its mandatory that I take a walk through the fishing section to see if they have any deals. I purchased my Abu BCX reel from them a couple years back on sale for $39.99, normally $70. Last year, just before salmon season, they had KwikFish on sale for $3.99. And I picked up some Needlefish from the clearance bin for $0.99. I've also bought 2 ultra lite graphite Shakespeare trout rods for $19.99 each, as well as a couple other cheaply priced Okuma spinning reels. Its all about timing as they seem to clearance things without advertisement.

However, most of my terminal tackle, line, and rods come from Wild Sports because they are just up the street

~RNP

Jimmy_M
05-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I have to be honest, anytime I set foot into a Walmart, its mandatory that I take a walk through the fishing section to see if they have any deals.

Ha ha I do the same thing too! It can be an expensive trip when my daughter is with me since they have all their sporting goods next to the toys.

LURKER916
05-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Also at my local Walmart they constantly have items priced wrong. U can get a 80 dollar rod for 19 bucks all the time.

Marv
05-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Ha ha I do the same thing too! It can be an expensive trip when my daughter is with me since they have all their sporting goods next to the toys.

My kids are the same too. There all for dad looking at fishing gear cause the toys are the next isle over, and we some how end up spending more time looking at toys.

shadbuster
05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Wal-Mart is a huge corporation, I could be wrong but I bet they donated to a non-profit for tax breaks. I bet the extent of their research was that they saw environmental, figured everyone loves the environment and that was it. Working with charities, its amazing how easily you can get donations from big corporations, they don't do any research at all, the only thing they care about is the tax-breaks.

lunkerdown
05-09-2013, 11:05 AM
My kids are the same too. There all for dad looking at fishing gear cause the toys are the next isle over, and we some how end up spending more time looking at toys.

My son does this to me every time and it never fails. We absolutely have to go to the Lego section. I think that is more of a reason than not to buy your gear at Walmart than anything LOL

dabalone
05-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Wall Mart has also backed away from gun sales and in doing so in my opinion sided with the gun control advocates. But, most Americans when it comes to getting a deal will put their ideologies and beliefs aside in favor of that bargain, neutering our most powerful voice as citizens, how and where we spend our dollars.

Jfitalia
05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Is it pretty safe shopping center? Heard too many bad things about the general area itself.

It's just fine. I'd rather park my car there than at FW.

redneckpunk
05-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Wall Mart has also backed away from gun sales and in doing so in my opinion sided with the gun control advocates. But, most Americans when it comes to getting a deal will put their ideologies and beliefs aside in favor of that bargain, neutering our most powerful voice as citizens, how and where we spend our dollars.

When times are good, its a lot easier to "speak with your pocket book". But when I go from working 50+hrs a week to 25-30, I'm going to save $$ when and where I can. Believe me, if I didnt have to go into a Walmart I wouldnt (ok, maybe for the show I would), but since I'm there...

dabalone
05-09-2013, 01:57 PM
When times are good, its a lot easier to "speak with your pocket book". But when I go from working 50+hrs a week to 25-30, I'm going to save $$ when and where I can. Believe me, if I didnt have to go into a Walmart I wouldnt (ok, maybe for the show I would), but since I'm there...

Understood, but there is a reason you are working less and its 90% political.

PapaGreg
05-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Lots of good points here on this issue! For me, I hate wally world, but where I live, they always seem to have what the other stores up here don't. And, when pb is $1.00 cheaper at wally, I get it there because I'm on a fixed income. I don't know if they are against fishing, but again, prices are way better at wally.

CRABBY
05-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Wife an I go to marysville/yuba city wally world bout twice a year maybe!The food stuff is cheaper by a little for some stuff an the sporting goods section usually sucks!!The cheap stuff is junk an they never seem to have much good stuff at a great price,our K mart here in grass valley is only a few cents higher!By the time you figure gas an time it's not worth it just to look at fat rejects in spandex an save 5 bucks!!!No savings at all for us,we go mainly just to goof around,kinda like goin to Denios flea marker!LOL...

49erbassman
05-09-2013, 04:08 PM
If I didn't shop at Wally I wouldn't have the time or money to fish as much as I do. A good example is I just left one of the stores mentioned in this thread and was looking at some Yum plastic crawbug baits and they were $4.69 a pack, Wally has the same ones for $1.50. Why would I pay $3.00 more? I love to support the small businesses but there is only so much I can spend.

Fish on!

CAL.NDN
05-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Are wally world up here in placerville is not that bad alot of normal people's trying to save a buck its actually a very nice store and very customer service friendly service. But i have stopped in a couple in the city before and boy was it a circus dirty and full of tweakers. Yea you mite see a tweaker up here every now and then but dam.them whole places were full of em. Makes me realy enjoy where i live.

redneckpunk
05-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Best Wally World to get the whole tweeker/freak experience is Oroville. Its also one of the best for fishing gear selection. Go figure

~RNP

IronClad
05-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Best Wally World to get the whole tweeker/freak experience is Oroville. Its also one of the best for fishing gear selection. Go figure

~RNP

Yup! btw foodmax at 3 am is a WAYYYYYYY better freak show than walmart. Here in oroville i pretty much have to go to wally world for tackle since the only other tackle place in town is oroville outdoors and its about 95% bass fishing and extremely high priced on everything.

shasta_steve
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I am not a fan either but got on their website today and bought two Abu 6500 C3's for $80 each. Hard to pass that one up as it is about $20 cheaper than I can find them anyplace else. I went back on a little later to get two more and the price had gone up to $89 but they still had the left hand version for about $80.