PDA

View Full Version : Fort Bragg..Mackerricher S.P

CrappieKiller18
06-05-2006, 04:22 PM
I am going to be camping at Mackerricher state park this saturday to wednesday.. Any advice on fishing off the rocks there? Is this the right time for surf perch? I went this time two years ago and it was awesome..last year in august was terrible. Please let me know.. :-/

Fish_R_Us
06-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking it's been pretty windy lately so that place may be a blowout, similar to those late season winds. The cliff areas might be good for rockfish and crabs. I've never caught any surf perch. Are they caught around the beach areas? Your best bet if you are still going would be the trout fishing in the lake. I've seen stringers of nice 1-3 lb. rainbows when the plantings occur. Those campgrounds up on the hill, that have lakeside access were the key to catching them, although many catch them right at the lagoon area adjacent to the main access road.
My friends from Mendocino have been going to the "Wages Creek" area, which apparently has a salt water lagoon that offers good rockfishing and dungeness crabbing. I don't have any other details but I'm going to meet them up there this summer to check it out. I couldn't believe the fishing pressure that McK SP gets. I think it's because that place can accomodate alot of drive in campsites and RV's. Good Luck.

Fort_Bragger
06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
This question of some rock fishing spots has come up a couple of times lately on the board. *The point off Mackerricher is beautiful, but the fishing there sucks. I have *some family who are pukers in a boat and like to fish from shore. *I'm always scouting for new fishing or abalone spots. *I wish I could find a *website that shows all the public access around the Fort. *You can park where Cal Trans dumps their gravel along the road at Ten Mile Beach just north of Cleone. *It's a bit of a hike over the sand dunes to the water. *Most of the access points I know of are south of town, and north of Van Damme State Park. *The Nature Conservancy bought some land for ocean access last year along Ocean Dr. just south of town. *I'll search the Chamber of Commerce site for some maps. *There is a new trail along the ocean proposed on the old Georgia Pacific Mill site. *I've snuck (oops) in there a time or two in stealth mode, and the abalone diving is outstanding. *Fishing there is a little to high profile not to get busted by the security patrol. *If I find some additional information I'll post it. *I don't have any news on the Perch. *I much prefer to jig a Ling up from the boat. * Have a good vacation. *I won't be able to make it over until Fathers Day....................Ben.

ocean_314
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
The barred surf perch are spawing right now. Look for a spot that is calm inshore in about 5' of water. I was diving yesterday and most still had their babies in them but several had already dropped them.
The silver surf perch are comming in and will be in a little deeper water. There are a ton of blues in about 20' of water, ues a bobber and go about half way down.
Wish you luck.

ocean_314
06-07-2006, 06:37 AM
When i said barred surf perch i met the stripped surf perch are spawning. The females are 13 to 15".