PDA

View Full Version : Two spear fisherman spotted

LURKER916
05-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Are between watt n Howe.

Watch your lines

Pintail
05-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Seems like it should be,"they better watch for your lines". A big Rebel with big braid would be bad .

Now before it starts, all I'm saying is, I wouldn't swim through an area that I knew people were throwing. Divers that spear butts at the mouth of Tamales use floats and they, as far as I've seen, are respected. Floating down the AR with people throwing who knows what,,,,,, different.

dabalone
05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Seems like it should be,"they better watch for your lines". A big Rebel with big braid would be bad .

Now before it starts, all I'm saying is, I wouldn't swim through an area that I knew people were throwing. Divers that spear butts at the mouth of Tamales use floats and they, as far as I've seen, are respected. Floating down the AR with people throwing who knows what,,,,,, different.

We always use floats or flags when diving but the river current presents a problem for this. Diving Tomales for halibut we attach a float to our bc and someone in our boat follows the float closely since it is a drift dive. People have been diving in the American river for as long as I can remember collecting gear and items fishermen, rafters, kayakers, swimmers leave or loose in the river. One of the people I know who has done this over the years picks up watches, rings, assorted jewelry and odds and ends of all kinds, but something he finds all the time is cans and bottles of beer and soda, much of the time still unopened. People have no idea the amount of trash on the bottom of our rivers from recreational use, it is eye opening.

In the summer people are in the water all up and down the American river pkwy, its not some new dilemma, any of those people no matter what their activity had better be aware of fishermen and fishermen better be aware them.

Pintail
05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Yes well aware it isn't new. We used to dive SJ rapids to stay up to date on sunglasses. Wednesday night was the float from Sunrise to Ancil Hoffman and collect bugs for diner. Collect as many Lamprey as you thought you needed for bait.

But it is a different world. And I don't like the idea of spear fishing Stripers...

Had to edit this after reminiscing.

I can't throw a number on the float/dive trips we used to make. But I can guess how many Striper I could of got with a spear gun and that would of been zero. We never went with tanks and couldn't hold in holes and wait, but still I'm guessing it isn't that lucrative undertaking.

LURKER916
05-12-2013, 02:25 PM
D-Abalone. Check yer pm's.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dabalone
05-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Got it, thanks.

CRABBY
05-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Got it, thanks.Hey tell me!!!!!?????:(

Reel Fun
05-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Is spear fishing for stripers legal? RF

redneckpunk
05-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Is spear fishing for stripers legal? RF

Apparently it is now legal on the American, per DFW regs. But the question raised on another thread was about the legality as far as Parks Dept, County, and even city as its an illigal weapon to have there. DOH!!!

Im assuming its the states trial balloon. Let the reg stay in place and in about 2 years they will propose to make it legal across the state, claiming its had no effect on the AR population so "it cant be bad". Just another way for water grabbers to justify destroying the population....IMHO

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jfitalia
05-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Apparently it is now legal on the American, per DFW regs. But the question raised on another thread was about the legality as far as Parks Dept, County, and even city as its an illigal weapon to have there. DOH!!!

Im assuming its the states trial balloon. Let the reg stay in place and in about 2 years they will propose to make it legal across the state, claiming its had no effect on the AR population so "it cant be bad". Just another way for water grabbers to justify destroying the population....IMHO

~RNP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the american it is not.

Because the American River Parkway is under the auspices of PARK and Sacramento County Ordinance, their regulations governing firearms in the AR PKWY actually override the jurisdiction of the CDFW regulations which provision for spearfishing in freshwater.

Plain and simple, firearms of any kind are strictly prohibited in the American River Parkway and so it is indeed illegal to use or even possess a spear gun in any of the waters therein.

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
No person other than peace officers
in the discharge of their duties sh
all use, maintain, possess, fire, or
discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and
arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially
dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
director for such use. A violation of the provisions
of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 15, 1983.)

49erbassman
05-13-2013, 12:07 PM
on the american it is not.

Because the American River Parkway is under the auspices of PARK and Sacramento County Ordinance, their regulations governing firearms in the AR PKWY actually override the jurisdiction of the CDFW regulations which provision for spearfishing in freshwater.

Plain and simple, firearms of any kind are strictly prohibited in the American River Parkway and so it is indeed illegal to use or even possess a spear gun in any of the waters therein.

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
No person other than peace officers
in the discharge of their duties sh
all use, maintain, possess, fire, or
discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and
arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially
dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
director for such use. A violation of the provisions
of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 15, 1983.)

This is what I thought when I first read this thread! Thanks J

Fish on!

rpwlaw11
05-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Stripers are doomed on the American. Enjoy seeing them 40 plus pounders while you can. This was nothing but a ploy by govt agencies to eventually to get a stronger foothold on passing that canal. Once that canal gets approved and it's coming folks, cause most of us can't see what's not readily seen in front of our eyes. That canal will wipe out the eco system of the delta as we know it today. This will drastically change species and amount of certain species we can or have to fish for. Start liking them planter trout and salmon a lot more. As far as salmon, hopefully we won't have another state budget crisis where they aren't able to stock as many salmon due to budget cuts. Cause that will lead back to planted trout, bass in lakes, and hoepfully still catfish and pan fish that we can fish for. But as far as fishing on the delta, the fishing zones will change.

To my understanding even our beloved CSBA who are suppose to be the protectors of our striped bass fishery even pushed the spearfishing. According to CSBA, it was to get more allies in the fight against the water board and other govt agencies. Duh! Total screw up. Cause when we have less to fish for. We will have less anglers and the ones remain will mostly be poachers who won't care or even fathom the concept of conservation. So less anglers, means less people who will see the dire impact of our political water wars. In a few years, that canal will pass just as easily as this stupid spearfishing that went into effect.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with spearfishing, but common sense tells me not on shallow clear running rivers. Spearing the stripers will be like catching fish in a barrel so say. Spear guys trying to say not many will waste the time, money, or energy to spearfish. Well, they are full of it also. Cause if you ever waded or swam in the American on a hot summer day. Them large stripers are the apex predators on that river and will come right up to you! Plus you don't need a wetsuit or scuba tank, and even my fat lazy butt can float down the river spearing large stripers easily. Especially when the flows are as low as they are now.

It is true that the local laws of the parkway over rides the DFG legality of spearfishing in the American. But after writing several emails and making phone calls. The rangers on the parkway will not be writing tickets for the weapons violation to spearfishermen. If you want the exact ranger's name. Ranger Chris Kemp, sent me an email back stating that's the stance of the rangers and that they are in a process to change the rules. So this mean that every poacher can go out there and spear fish all of them large spawning stripers out of the American. Within 2 years, seeing a 5 lb striper on the American might be a hawg, and that's if we're lucky to have any stripers at all.

Don't get me wrong, spearfishing is fine, but not on riverways like the American I'm not an avid lover of stripers. But I am an avid lover of the outdoors and nature. Not just because I love this certain specie or I target certain ones. That's the problem with most, they only gripe and whine what is best for them, and not as a whole group. In the long run, it won't matter how you fish for stripers, just be thankful if we will have stripers and other species to fish for at all. Good luck to all Californians who fish, we more than need luck. This new canal will be more detrimental than the water pumps. Put them two things together spells nothing but disaster for our ecosystem. :mad2:

rpwlaw11
05-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Last note to make things clear a spossible. It is still illegal to spearfish in salmon spawning grounds. You want to know the boundary, read the regs and learn.