PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

lunkerdown
05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to go out this afternoon and target some Shad for the first time on the Sac River. What depth is usually recommended to fish them at during the afternoon hours? Also how big of a jig and curly tail grub should I put out for them (or does anyone have any lures that they recommend over the jig and curly tail)? Thanks!

BaitMaster
05-13-2013, 01:08 PM
I personally have not fished for shad, but from the bank of the Sac, people usually use a shad dart without a grub on a 3' leader and a sliding 3/4-1 oz egg sinker. And its a matter of finding where they are running through the water column.

FisherMike916
05-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Lunker,

I've tried the Sac river, Verona, and American river. I only caught 1 on the American River near Paradise. Any luck???

lunkerdown
05-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Lunker,

I've tried the Sac river, Verona, and American river. I only caught 1 on the American River near Paradise. Any luck???

Nope, I haven't had any luck. I think I got on late. By now they are beyond where I would fish on the Sacramento River. I'm back to bass fishing and will start fishing for catfish soon since the striper bite is pretty slow.