PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a Pike Minnow

stefanoflo
05-14-2013, 07:05 AM
when Fishing for trout and you catch a pike minnow, what do you do with it ??. Back in the day on the Calaveras in the 80`s we use to kill them and let the Mother of nature take care of them , due to them eating small trouts and the eggs after spawning. we did the same for the Suckers that were in the river at times
Granted before we knew what the pike minnow was , we ate a few . is`t not a bad meat fish . red in color . just a bit in the bitter side.

LURKER916
05-14-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm gonna eat one... I've gotta try it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Owlman2
05-14-2013, 07:19 AM
I just throw them back....

WHT.RUS
05-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Pepper salt lemon onion and grill it. Personally, I never tried it but I guess every fish out there is eatable when prepared right. Just a preference of a person.

Marv
05-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Throw them back, true they do eat trout eggs. Trout also feed heavily on squaw and sucker eggs. Throw them back and let mother nature take it course like you said, minus the killing part.

IronClad
05-14-2013, 08:38 AM
I throw them back. They are a native species afterall.

shadbuster
05-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I throw them back, they have been getting along with trout for a long time so I don't think they do huge amounts of damage.

hybrid90
05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I'd put a leash on them and take them for a walk along the shore under the breezy night moonlight =)

I would just throw them back or use them for striper bait if there's stripers there.

mryosemite
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Best way to eat any minnow...jerk the head off and that will remove the guts at the same time. Fill the body cavity with a couple packs of Taco Bell hot sauce. You now have a self contained sushi roll. Please note: side effects may include blurred vision, vomiting, and diarrhea.

IronClad
05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Best way to eat any minnow...jerk the head off and that will remove the guts at the same time. Fill the body cavity with a couple packs of Taco Bell hot sauce. You now have a self contained sushi roll. Please note: side effects may include blurred vision, vomiting, and diarrhea.

I think thats the disclaimer for eating anything from tacobell lol

sutterduckhunter
05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
They taste like Chicken!:smiley:

LURKER916
05-15-2013, 10:46 AM
I wanna try one sashimi style!

Wabo Cabo
05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
2013 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery (http://www.pikeminnow.org/)

http://www.pikeminnow.org/images/title-sm.gif

HOW TO SAVE A SALMON
(AND MAKE MONEY DOING IT)
http://www.pikeminnow.org/images/gold.gif

http://www.pikeminnow.org/images/happy_fisher-sm.jpg You can help save salmon and get paid to do it by going fishing! The Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery Program, funded by the Bonneville Power Administration, pays anglers for each northern pikeminnow that they catch that is nine inches or larger. Rewards range from $4 to $8 per fish, and special tagged fish are worth $500. The program operates from May 1 to September 30, 2013 in the lower Columbia River (mouth to Priest Rapids Dam) and the Snake River (mouth to Hells Canyon Dam).
Northern pikeminnow eat millions of salmon and steelhead juveniles each year in the Columbia and Snake River systems. The goal of the program is not to eliminate northern pikeminnow, but rather to reduce the average size and curtail the number of larger older fish. Reducing the number of these predators can greatly help the salmon and steelhead juveniles making it out to sea.
BPA funds the program to partially mitigate for the impact of the Columbia River hydroelectric system on salmon. Results indicate the program is successful. Since 1990, over 4 million northern pikeminnow have been removed by the Sport Reward Fishery. Predation on juvenile salmonids has been cut by an estimated 40%.

There is a reason Washington pays a bounty for them. Bonk it.

Owlman2
05-16-2013, 06:29 AM
2013 Northern Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery (http://www.pikeminnow.org/)

http://www.pikeminnow.org/images/title-sm.gif

HOW TO SAVE A SALMON
(AND MAKE MONEY DOING IT)
http://www.pikeminnow.org/images/gold.gif

http://www.pikeminnow.org/images/happy_fisher-sm.jpg You can help save salmon and get paid to do it by going fishing! The Pikeminnow Sport Reward Fishery Program, funded by the Bonneville Power Administration, pays anglers for each northern pikeminnow that they catch that is nine inches or larger. Rewards range from $4 to $8 per fish, and special tagged fish are worth $500. The program operates from May 1 to September 30, 2013 in the lower Columbia River (mouth to Priest Rapids Dam) and the Snake River (mouth to Hells Canyon Dam).
Northern pikeminnow eat millions of salmon and steelhead juveniles each year in the Columbia and Snake River systems. The goal of the program is not to eliminate northern pikeminnow, but rather to reduce the average size and curtail the number of larger older fish. Reducing the number of these predators can greatly help the salmon and steelhead juveniles making it out to sea.
BPA funds the program to partially mitigate for the impact of the Columbia River hydroelectric system on salmon. Results indicate the program is successful. Since 1990, over 4 million northern pikeminnow have been removed by the Sport Reward Fishery. Predation on juvenile salmonids has been cut by an estimated 40%.

There is a reason Washington pays a bounty for them. Bonk it.

There was a time when certain areas had a bounty on hawks, owls, falcons, and eagles too.....

Just sayin...bounties do not necessarily imply intelligent reasons for their existence.

BaitMaster
05-16-2013, 06:57 AM
There was a time when certain areas had a bounty on hawks, owls, falcons, and eagles too.....

Just sayin...bounties do not necessarily imply intelligent reasons for their existence.

And Sacramento Pike Minnows, being native to CA, have co-existed alongside chinook salmon, steelhead, rainbow trout and cutthroat for who knows how long....

Most likely spawning with each other and eating each others eggs.... They're all part of the ecosystem.

What's up with all the fish nazi's nowadays?

BaitMaster
05-16-2013, 07:04 AM
What's up with the $500 tagged fish? Are they actually releasing these monsters back into the system?

Haha

WHT.RUS
05-16-2013, 07:28 AM
What's up with the $500 tagged fish? Are they actually releasing these monsters back into the system?

Haha

LOL. Nice catch:duh:

Owlman2
05-16-2013, 09:05 AM
And Sacramento Pike Minnows, being native to CA, have co-existed alongside chinook salmon, steelhead, rainbow trout and cutthroat for who knows how long....

Most likely spawning with each other and eating each others eggs.... They're all part of the ecosystem.

Agreed.

Not to mention I am sure trout and salmon are eating plenty of trout and salmon eggs....

IronClad
05-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Agreed.

Not to mention I am sure trout and salmon are eating plenty of trout and salmon eggs....

Id imagine so considering one of the best baits for trout are salmon eggs lol

Wabo Cabo
05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
The only good Pike Minnow is a dead Pike Minnow. Bonk it :beatdeadhorse5:

Since 1990, over 4 million northern pikeminnow have been removed by the Sport Reward Fishery. Predation on juvenile salmonids has been cut by an estimated 40%.

IronClad
05-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Since 1990, over 4 million northern pikeminnow have been removed by the Sport Reward Fishery. Predation on juvenile salmonids has been cut by an estimated 40%.

You gonna pay my ticket when a warden sees me wasting fish ?

Owlman2
05-16-2013, 01:48 PM

I do not remotely trust the science behind those in the Fish n Game industry who seem to think wantonly killing off a native species is a good idea. Nor do I trust the motives (nearly always $$$$$ in some form) behind the "science".

So, lacking said confidence in the "experts", I think leaving things as close as we can to what existed naturally is the wisest course of action.

IronClad
05-16-2013, 01:58 PM
It's not very sound logic to be honest. If we went by the "ohnoes they eat salmon eggs/smolt we better kills dem" thought process we should also be killing off all the trout, catfish,striper,steelhead,sturgeon and other fish species since they also all eat salmon eggs/smolt. The real reason behind it is because since its not a salmon or a trout etc they dont care about it and see it just as a nuisance fish.

Also id say the biggest contributing factor in less salmon is humans. I know all of us like to get a big ole fat hen just stuffed full of eggs to cure. I bet that takes more fish out of the system than anything.

Jfitalia
05-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Well first off these numbers aren't from CA. Second of all I am sure there are many other factors that could be a contributing factor to that 40% figure.

I see no need to waste a fish plus that is illegal.

pcwa_guy
05-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Kill it! :action-smiley-035: From what a warden told me, a pike minnow isn't a game fish and can be killed.

IronClad
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Kill it! :action-smiley-035: From what a warden told me, a pike minnow isn't a game fish and can be killed.

1.87. Waste of Fish. It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.

Dont see anything about "game fish"

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - General Provisions and Definitions (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec1_04-1_93.html#sec1_87)

So you were told wrong.

Wabo Cabo
05-16-2013, 03:15 PM
I'd still bonk them and toss the in the weeds for the critters. They are one of the reasons the Eel salmon and steelhead stocks are hurting. They are an evasive species in that system.:

Question: On a local fishing message board, there has been discussion specifically on the killing and discarding of Sacramento pikeminnow incidentally caught while fishing for steelhead in the American River. One point of view is they are a native fish and part of the ecosystem of the Sacramento River and tributaries, and if you catch them, you should be able to keep them for food or release them unharmed into the water. Another point of view is that on the American River, dams have altered the natural ecosystem. As a result, salmon and steelhead had their spawning range greatly reduced and put the fry and smelt in greater peril with predators such as the pikeminnow.
In the past, a bounty has been placed on pikeminnows at organized fishing derbies on the Sacramento River. This was aimed at reducing their population. The Columbia River has a similar annual event to try to control the pikeminnows numbers. What is the Department of Fish and Game’s (DFG) position on this matter? (George N., El Dorado Hills)
Answer: There may be some confusion among local anglers about Sacramento pikeminnow (formerly known as Sacramento squawfish) management in their native Sacramento River system. According to DFG Senior Fisheries Biologists Terry Jackson and Scott Downie, there have been efforts over the years to remove them as a non-native predator because they were illegally introduced to the Eel River system in approximately 1979. Following that Eel River introduction, DFG conducted various experimental capture and removal efforts in the Eel, and a few private groups sponsored derbies and sometimes offered bounties, but these efforts proved to be biologically futile. DFG has not conducted any such efforts on Sacramento pikeminnow in waters where they are native.

Jfitalia
05-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I'd still bonk them and toss the in the weeds for the critters. They are one of the reasons the Eel salmon and steelhead stocks are hurting. They are an evasive species in that system.:

Question: On a local fishing message board, there has been discussion specifically on the killing and discarding of Sacramento pikeminnow incidentally caught while fishing for steelhead in the American River. One point of view is they are a native fish and part of the ecosystem of the Sacramento River and tributaries, and if you catch them, you should be able to keep them for food or release them unharmed into the water. Another point of view is that on the American River, dams have altered the natural ecosystem. As a result, salmon and steelhead had their spawning range greatly reduced and put the fry and smelt in greater peril with predators such as the pikeminnow.
In the past, a bounty has been placed on pikeminnows at organized fishing derbies on the Sacramento River. This was aimed at reducing their population. The Columbia River has a similar annual event to try to control the pikeminnows numbers. What is the Department of Fish and Game’s (DFG) position on this matter? (George N., El Dorado Hills)
Answer: There may be some confusion among local anglers about Sacramento pikeminnow (formerly known as Sacramento squawfish) management in their native Sacramento River system. According to DFG Senior Fisheries Biologists Terry Jackson and Scott Downie, there have been efforts over the years to remove them as a non-native predator because they were illegally introduced to the Eel River system in approximately 1979. Following that Eel River introduction, DFG conducted various experimental capture and removal efforts in the Eel, and a few private groups sponsored derbies and sometimes offered bounties, but these efforts proved to be biologically futile. DFG has not conducted any such efforts on Sacramento pikeminnow in waters where they are native.

All the answer proved was that once again they are a native species to the sacramento. So again whats the need to kill it? They have been co-existing for all these years just fine.

I can also promise you that more smolt are eaten by stripers than pikeminnows. The stripers were having a field day at disco last week when DFW released all the smolt. So should we eradicate stripers as well?

I also think it's funny that your complaining about pikeminnows eating eggs yet how many rainbows and steelhead sit behind spawning salmon and eat the eggs.... So should we eradicate them as well?

IronClad
05-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Key part right here

DFG has not conducted any such efforts on Sacramento pikeminnow in waters where they are native.

but hey we should just go ahead and kill them anyway since they arent a cute and cuddly salmon or steelhead right

Jfitalia
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
1.87. Waste of Fish.

It is unlawful to cause or permit any deterioration or waste of any fish taken in the waters of this state.

Dont see anything about "game fish"

Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations - General Provisions and Definitions (http://dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2013/ccr-t14-sec1_04-1_93.html#sec1_87)

So you were told wrong.

I like it when people post facts! :action-smiley-035:

IronClad
05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Im a all facts no nonsense kinda guy lol

Marv
05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
I caught several today, all went back. The fish coexisted long before us and hopefully long after were gone.

By the way salmon and steelhead are hurting because of man, not other fish. Us and our damn dams :)

CAL.NDN
05-16-2013, 03:50 PM
You got it marv!!!! And now they will hurt even more because they want us to dump the carcass in the dumpsters.

CRABBY
05-16-2013, 03:58 PM
This squaw,pikeminnow,carp junk has been beat to death on this site from day one,some eat em,others let em go an others use em for other things like fertilizer!!!Why even talk about it!!!It's a dead horse an been beat to death enough!!!............:beatdeadhorse5::seestars:

CAL.NDN
05-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Dont do it don please :worthy::worthy::worthy: :snacker::kahuna38kk: its big kahuna popcorn time

49erbassman
05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
This squaw,pikeminnow,carp junk has been beat to death on this site from day one,some eat em,others let em go an others use em for other things like fertilizer!!!Why even talk about it!!!It's a dead horse an been beat to death enough!!!............:beatdeadhorse5::seestars:

That's where the name Crabby came from lol hahaha

Fish on!

IronClad
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Thats fine with me as long as they are being used =) its when people just kill them and throw them on the bank because they dont like them is when i have a problem =) You do that with a trout or a salmon and people would think you are the worst person in the world.

CRABBY
05-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Thats fine with me as long as they are being used =) its when people just kill them and throw them on the bank because they dont like them is when i have a problem =) You do that with a trout or a salmon and people would think you are the worst person in the world.That would include me!!!!:)

That's where the name Crabby came from lol hahaha

Fish on!Nope that ain't it!!!Or is it???LOL

Dont do it don please :worthy::worthy::worthy: :snacker::kahuna38kk: its big kahuna popcorn timeOK Chris it's gonna be locked,everybody don't blame me, Chris did it!!LOL...
It is gonna be locked though before tempers start to heat up!!!!:yoda1: