PDA

View Full Version : why so many "hit and miss" threads

BeefCakeScout
05-15-2013, 11:13 AM
I swear, I have never seen so many reports of a "few" fish or "it was hit and miss"

LURKER916
05-15-2013, 11:18 AM
It's hit n miss AR style.

Been a whacky season.

Justin Martell
05-15-2013, 11:29 AM
I swear, I have never seen so many reports of a "few" fish or "it was hit and miss"

I have been thinking the same thing. Where I have been targeting Shad this year it has been steady but "mediocre" compared to what Shad fishing is supposed to be, and it has been that way for everyone on the line fishing there as well. I have only seen one action packed day there so far in the last two weeks. Maybe I am in the wrong spot but there seems to be 12 or so people there daily giving it a go as well so...thanks by the way BCS you are one of the folks here on the sniffer that gave me solid instructions when I was firt starting out for Shad. Big Ant too. Like crack dealers, now im hooked!!!

LURKER916
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Last nite I nailed em. Went tithe same spot today and they were gone. Crazy.

Hate being a shaddict.

AnglingWes
05-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I think that flows= good shad, no flows= wacky shad

Jfitalia
05-15-2013, 11:48 AM
I think the low flows are not letting the shad hold in any one spot. So they don't have a way to get away from the stripers.

WAPOW
05-15-2013, 12:05 PM
run and gun shad fishing... now youll do us a favor and go fish...

BeefCakeScout
05-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I have been thinking the same thing. Where I have been targeting Shad this year it has been steady but "mediocre" compared to what Shad fishing is supposed to be, and it has been that way for everyone on the line fishing there as well. I have only seen one action packed day there so far in the last two weeks. Maybe I am in the wrong spot but there seems to be 12 or so people there daily giving it a go as well so...thanks by the way BCS you are one of the folks here on the sniffer that gave me solid instructions when I was firt starting out for Shad. Big Ant too. Like crack dealers, now im hooked!!!
Anthony is a BEAST!

I think the low flows are not letting the shad hold in any one spot. So they don't have a way to get away from the stripers.
Dude I have been fishing the same schools since the start. Less than a mile between my 2 furthest holes and they aren't even well known spots

run and gun shad fishing... now youll do us a favor and go fish...

Just got back. It wasn't like yesterday, but 6 fish for an hour on the fly ain't terrible.

I'm guessing its mostly just people that don't understand shad behavior. Matt and I laugh all the time when its mid day and we are slaying em....."Shad don't really bite during the day"...lol

LURKER916
05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhh

Shad Only bite at night. And only at Harrington. And Paradise wherever the hell that is.

Jfitalia
05-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Anthony is a BEAST!

Dude I have been fishing the same schools since the start. Less than a mile between my 2 furthest holes and they aren't even well known spots

Just got back. It wasn't like yesterday, but 6 fish for an hour on the fly ain't terrible.

I'm guessing its mostly just people that don't understand shad behavior. Matt and I laugh all the time when its mid day and we are slaying em....."Shad don't really bite during the day"...lol

I get off work monday at 5pm. If the lady doesn't want to go for a bike ride you wanna do some shad

LURKER916
05-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I have to work tonite. I've been fishing too much this break. Wife wants some time.
Pm ing u the locations and number of fish caught last few days.

westcoastdave
05-15-2013, 03:22 PM
It has been tough this year. I caught only one last night. For the large crowd of anglers downriver from me I only saw about 6-7 caught. Hopefully it will get better.

49erbassman
05-15-2013, 04:15 PM
So do Shad separate from large schools? Every time I have seen them there are hundreds if not thousands in a school but I see reports all the time of people only catching one fish.

Are you not trying different colors,weight size or depth? I'm no expert but I find it hard to believe only 1 or 2 shad are swimming through and you catch one. Last week was my first time fishing for them and when the bite slowed we tried different things and the key was more weight. Went for about 30 min with no hook ups added another split shot and first cast for all three of us was fish on.

Everything I read says if they stop biting try different depths, colors etc. I don't see reports where this is being done but maybe that info is left off the report?

Fish on!

IronClad
05-15-2013, 04:19 PM
All i know is that they need to hurry up and get to oroville. I need somthing else to catch inbetween bass,coho and catfish

LURKER916
05-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Yes there are the occasional shad that separates from the group....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

49erbassman
05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
All i know is that they need to hurry up and get to oroville. I need somthing else to catch inbetween bass,coho and catfish

They should be there already. Feather has been slaying them from everyone I talked to

Fish on!

49erbassman
05-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Yes there are the occasional shad that separates from the group....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt!!

Fish on!

IronClad
05-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Last i was hearing was star bend but they could be. I'll have to go grab me some crappie jigs and get to my spot and see i suppose

49erbassman
05-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Star bend reports have been for two weeks now almost ;)

Fish on!

IronClad
05-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Alright you talked me into it ! =P im headed out to the truck right now to run out and try for a couple hours

49erbassman
05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Let us know how you do!

Fish on!

IronClad
05-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Well it looks kinda fishy. Water is a bit low though

sent from my boat out on the water

IronClad
05-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Well i got the big nada. I dont think they are quite up this far with the water being sooooo low and slow. I was actually able to make a 3/8ths egg weight stick out in the middle, Pretty bad !. I didnt have any bobbers with me to try that method but like i said i dont think they are there just yet anyway. I did see a few fish jump but not sure if they were shad or squaws or what.

All in all it was a nice evening on the riverbank anyway =)

http://i.imgur.com/bO9pdNO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RT4XnQh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PqGvH8G.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/8HwlVp0.jpg

CAL.NDN
05-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Thats crazy 3/8 holding up on bottim. Yea mabey not there yet try bobber next time. At least ya got out

MarkdaShark19
05-15-2013, 07:44 PM
So do Shad separate from large schools? Every time I have seen them there are hundreds if not thousands in a school but I see reports all the time of people only catching one fish.

Are you not trying different colors,weight size or depth? I'm no expert but I find it hard to believe only 1 or 2 shad are swimming through and you catch one.

Everything I read says if they stop biting try different depths, colors etc.

Yes shad do separate into smaller schools of 3-20 fish, but this year I have seen it happen to me many many times where schools of fish of 100-1,000 fish swim right by me and I drift through them all and either get completely ignored or only catch one. I have tried other colors and baits, depth is not an issue seeing how the water is only 3 ft deep, but for me personally nothing has ever worked better then the pink champagne grub in any situation for shad. Sometimes they are just on the move and won't bite. Especially when they have a 20+lb striper chasing them.

IronClad
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Thats crazy 3/8 holding up on bottim. Yea mabey not there yet try bobber next time. At least ya got out

Aye i may hit it up again next week with some bobbers and see what i can make happen.

fishingfrieda
05-16-2013, 07:49 AM
Yes shad do separate into smaller schools of 3-20 fish, but this year I have seen it happen to me many many times where schools of fish of 100-1,000 fish swim right by me and I drift through them all and either get completely ignored or only catch one. I have tried other colors and baits, depth is not an issue seeing how the water is only 3 ft deep, but for me personally nothing has ever worked better then the pink champagne grub in any situation for shad. Sometimes they are just on the move and won't bite. Especially when they have a 20+lb striper chasing them.
Or 3+ sea lions

49erbassman
05-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Thank You Mark!

Fish on!