PDA

View Full Version : Funny one.

Line Stretcher
05-15-2013, 01:35 PM
O.K. so I'm up at the lake this morning at 6:30 and on the water around 7:00am. The wind is already kicking up so I head into the marina bay and rig up the downriggers. If it's going to be windy the downriggers out there help to stabalize my boat.

I get all rigged up and try to head up to my honey hole but the wind was so strong that I had to fire the main up and run about 1200 rpm just to maintain 1.25 mph. I didn't care I was going to hang in there with those 4ft waves. I took a little green water over the bow but finally got where I was going so I turned her around and started trolling with the wind.

Almost instantly after the turn I started hooking up nice Steelhead. Not the whimps that were there last week, these were all in the 18-20" range and fatties. Not so amazingly, I was back at the dock by about 10:30, the down wind trip only took 1/2 hour. Ha.

So here's the funny part, I pull back into the bay to bring the downriggers in and I'm getting blown all over the place in 30kt gusts. I finally get them in but I forget to reel in the on of the rods so it's running behind the boat about 40' back.

A buddy of mine is on the dock and is going to give me a hand to get tied up. He's saying how many did you get. I said 6 nice ones, he say's better make that 7. I had no clue what he was talking about and then he say's. Damn, the fish just follow you trying to get into your boat. I still don't get it and then a I get closer he says, Dude are you going to bring that fish in or am I gonna have to do it for you.. I look behind me and here's my ultralight sitting in the rocket launcher bent over to the water almost. I played him for a while and then gave it a flip and off he went. I already had a nice fish for the smoker and had fun while the guy's that got skunked today just stood there with their jaws dropped.

Another guy that I had never met before said, Hey buddy you should have had a video of that it would be great advertising.

So anyway, that's my fishing brag. Yeah, it was pretty cool...and I'm still laughing. It's going to be a great year if this keeps up..

dabalone
05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Hey the guy on the dock immediately recognized it, those fish were not done with you yet. I have a redneck friend (redneck being subjective) a great guy, who painted the bottom of his small aluminum boat pink with black polka dots, he swears the fish follow him all over the lake and his catch rates have gone up.

CAL.NDN
05-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Sweeet steve that is a good few hours of fun and some funnies to go with good job. Enjoy the Smokey.

49erbassman
05-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Good advertising for sure!!

Fish on!

hitide
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Hey the guy on the dock immediately recognized it, those fish were not done with you yet. I have a redneck friend (redneck being subjective) a great guy, who painted the bottom of his small aluminum boat pink with black polka dots, he swears the fish follow him all over the lake and his catch rates have gone up.
I've even seen a program on TV that shows the salt water guys painting schools of fish on the bottoms of their boats. They claim it works.