PDA

View Full Version : Painting plain jigs?

Justin Martell
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
I have some plain lead jigs that I would like to paint and before I went to Fisherman's Warehouse and bought some stuff I was hoping to get some info from any folks who have done this before. What to buy, how to do it, etc. These are not for newly poured molds but just plain lead ones.

AnglingWes
05-16-2013, 09:54 AM
The bake-on powder coat works ok. Its cheap and easy, but will chip off fairly easily. There are many resources online about how to assemble a powder coating fluid bed using PVC and an aquarium pump.

Fluid Bed - Ohio Game Fishing Community (http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/community/showthread.php?t=65633)

slowriprun12
05-16-2013, 10:13 AM
two part epoxy, fast drying and oil based paint,,,just mix a drop of the paint into the well mixed two part epoxy and go to town. It's one way and very simply.

AnglingWes
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Dyed epoxy is a good option too.

MarkdaShark19
05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Plain jig heads work just as well as colored ones.

pulper80
05-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Plain jig heads work just as well as colored ones.

I second that. There may be a time/place where shad will reject a plain leadhead jig and only bite a colored jighead, but I have not encountered such a scenario yet.

To prove this in your own mind, the next time you get into a big school of shad and the action is really hot, switch to a plain leadhead jig of the same size as your colored leadhead jig and see if your hookup ratio changes.

AnglingWes
05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I agree that painted heads are not any more effective than plain ones, but if the angler has more confidence in painted jigs, then they may "feel" for effective. I say use whatever you feel the most confidence in.

Justin Martell
05-16-2013, 11:26 AM
I second that. There may be a time/place where shad will reject a plain leadhead jig and only bite a colored jighead, but I have not encountered such a scenario yet.

To prove this in your own mind, the next time you get into a big school of shad and the action is really hot, switch to a plain leadhead jig of the same size as your colored leadhead jig and see if your hookup ratio changes.

Actually I kind of figured that this was the case. But I must say the chart jig head with champagne grub seems to perform a bit better. I will definately switch up though when I am into them to test the theory. I like the idea of experimenting. I also like the idea of painting them though for something to do when I am not out there fishing.

WhopperStopper
05-16-2013, 02:15 PM
The plain leadheads do work just as good. Also an easy way to add color that I have found works very well is to just slide on a 3-5mm flourescent colored bead on your leader in front of the jighead. In a pinch when I have run put of jigheads, I just run a bead and appropriately sized baitholder hook with the grub. The shad don't seem to notice a difference at all. This only works If u are drifting though. Does not work well under a float.

westcoastdave
05-16-2013, 05:48 PM
I use vinyl jig paint for my jigs. I mostly brush it on instead of dipping my jigheads. It works great. So far my jigs have not chipped.

BIG_ONE
05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Nail polish...it gets the job done if your not looking for crazy designs. LOL.

49erbassman
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM

You can get some wicked colors with nail polish!

Fish on!

djkurisu1
05-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I use vinyl jig paint for my jigs. I mostly brush it on instead of dipping my jigheads. It works great. So far my jigs have not chipped.

cant wait to try some of those jigs dave. This sunday?144121441314414 these are some of the salmon lures i painted up. My wife was all about it cause she got some new colors when i was through lol... happy wife happy life

BeefCakeScout
05-20-2013, 01:45 PM

Couldn't agree more. If you don't care about a perfect job(fish don't), then nail polish is your friend, and some of it is HARD

Justin Martell
05-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Right on. Thanks for the ideas. I like simple and low cost so I am thinking nail polish will do the trick. I also like that I don't have to panic anymore when I am getting down to my plain jigs. You think if I walk into the nail salon and hand them a bunch of plain or dinged up jigs they will give me a decent price?

BeefCakeScout
05-20-2013, 09:44 PM
yes.....take a video camera with you.

Justin Martell
05-21-2013, 12:13 PM
yes.....take a video camera with you.

Im talking about the nail salon not the massage parlor. :beauty1: