PDA

View Full Version : Shad boaters?

rustyhook
05-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Looking for advice and report from fishermens that are chasing shad on the Sacramento River from freeport to discovery...How has the bite been? Technique and set ups being use. I see a lot of post of the AR, but not hearing much from boaters that target the Sac R. Has the bite died? Thanks, any info appreciated

BIG_ONE
05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Shad are still productive but they're traveling in a specific path on the river. Find deep pools or route on the river and anchor on top. You can cast and retrieve with the usual shad dart and egg/cannon ball sinkers. If not, then use a high-low rig with a cannon ball sinker and load it up with a champagne grub + chartreuse jig head or a chartreuse grub with a pink/red jig head(you can use two lures at a time). Cast it out and put it in the rod holder like your bait fishing. And just wait for it to get slam...

:Gone_fishing:

rustyhook
05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks, any locations that have been producing lately? Freeport bridge or above miller park before the pump? I'm a bank person, but next week going on a boat with some friends from out of town and want to put them on some fish. Don't worry it'll be a weekday also :smiley:

dabalone
05-16-2013, 01:28 PM
This was last week at Verona, no secret about this place so I will post it. Shad bite was on the whole time we were there during late morning thru midday and was still going when we left. We caught a bunch using the flyrods, both pink and gold flies worked equally well. You may have to move around a bit to get in the right slot.

rustyhook
05-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Oh snaps, that rod action. Thanks.

rustyhook
05-16-2013, 02:50 PM
This was last week at Verona, no secret about this place so I will post it. Shad bite was on the whole time we were there during late morning thru midday and was still going when we left. We caught a bunch using the flyrods, both pink and gold flies worked equally well. You may have to move around a bit to get in the right slot.

What boat launch is available and fair distance to verona?

BIG_ONE
05-16-2013, 03:04 PM
What boat launch is available and fair distance to verona?

There's a launch right at Verona. Can get crowded...

rustyhook
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
There's a launch right at Verona. Can get crowded...

Even on the weekdays?

dabalone
05-16-2013, 04:51 PM
20 mins north of Sac, map it. Hint, use pic as a starting guide for where to anchor. Its actually not our favorite spot in the area for targeting shad but would be a good start for you not knowing the river. During shad and striper its crowded at any given day but weekends I avoid it like the plague.

49erbassman
05-16-2013, 04:57 PM
20 mins north of Sac, map it. Hint, use pic as a starting guide for where to anchor. Its actually not our favorite spot in the area for targeting shad but would be a good start for you not knowing the river. During shad and striper its crowded at any given day but weekends I avoid it like the plague.

Served up on a platter for em Don! Everything but GPS coordinates. Good stuff.

Fish on!

fishingfrieda
05-16-2013, 06:12 PM

Awe, who's that handsome guy? I really miss him!! Since I moved, we don't hang out much. Going to call him later!

dabalone
05-16-2013, 06:19 PM
Served up on a platter for em Don! Everything but GPS coordinates. Good stuff.

Fish on!

Thanks niner, actually with the pic its better than gps. But people have to understand no particular spot guarantees success, shad like stripers move in schools during spawning runs. Verona is good at holding fish but they stilll move in and out of the area, its a good bet but fishing is a lot about being in the right place at the right time. We will be out there in the morning for a couple hrs. to run some of the old gas out of the boat in preparation for the weekend and see whats up.

dabalone
05-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Awe, who's that handsome guy? I really miss him!! Since I moved, we don't hang out much. Going to call him later!

His pc is old and I think its down or he would stop in here now and then, the kids keep it clogged with no telling what. He keeps telling me to build him a new one but I can't get him to tell me how much tech he wants. They keep him out of town a lot, Tahoe, Bay and up North I don't see him much either. Give him a call.

rustyhook
05-17-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys, awesome advice. Time to research google maps and noaa charts!

dabalone
05-17-2013, 11:24 AM
We were out at Verona for a couple hrs this morning doing some boat check out and did a little fishing for shad while there. Quite a few boats and bankers but didn't see much action, a shad hooked up now and then. We caught nothing, not even a tap and overall from others who passed and what we saw the bite was just not there. Water in the Sac has cleaned up nicely as well as the Feather, temps 67 degrees, looks like perfect conditions but few fish. Things can change quickly, never know.