PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Opener - This weekend

Line Stretcher
05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
The Eagle Lake opener is this weekend if anyone is interested.

I'll be there and Val will be giving seminars at the Eagle Lake Marina Store on the south end of the lake.

I just sent her a note and asked her if she wanted to go fishing on Friday. I'm hoping she's free so we can work as a team to dial the lake in for you all.

Steve

Line Stretcher
05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
It's official, I'm going up early Thursday morning, I've got a cabin in Spaulding. I have to go into Susanville and get my USFS permits. So I can use the South end ramp. If you're a guide with clients for eagle lake and didnt know you needed a USFS permit to use the new ramp, you do now. 150.00 a season 1-50 trips. LNF needs the money and has put the word out that they will be checking. You do not need a permit to launch in Spaulding. This is only a requirement for guides and anyone launching without a fishing license. A fishing license is a type of USFS land use permit but guides require a special use permit.

Val and I are going to scope the lake on Friday so she'll have the hot news at the seminar at the Marina Store at 6:00pm. She's float tubing on Saturday and Sunday and will have some good info to share at her Saturday Seminar at 5:00 pm in the Marina Store. I'll be at both seminars.

On Monday Val and I are fishing together and we'll be all over the place. We'll post the results on Tuesday evening.

Line Stretcher
05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
P.S. Mariners Resort at Stones Landing was sold at auction.

Line Stretcher
05-22-2013, 07:29 AM
FYI - Dave at heritage realty may stlll have some rentals available. It's not too late. I'm booked with splits both Saturday and Sunday and Val and I are fishing together on Monday. There are other guides in the area and some may still have availabilites. You can try Tom Noxon with Fish Traveler, he may still have openings. Ron Beck is local and you might be able to reach him through the RV park, Tom Loe with Sierra Drifters may also have some availabilities.

I've never fished with any of the afformentioned guides but I've spoken with them and they seem knowledgeable and friendly.

Come on up, it has the potential to be a great holiday weekend!

Steve

Line Stretcher
05-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Got up to the lake at about 10:00am. I stopped by the Ranger Station and picked up my permit paperwork. Next I went down to the Marina to look at the ramp and DFW was there with at truck load of Planters. They said they were trophy planter but the biggest on is a 3lb. Not bad but they're all drugged up and won't be biting for a couple of weeks. The low level ramp looked really good and the parking lot is all marked off and ready to go for this weekend.

After that I headed to Spaulding to check in with Dave. He was on his way to Susanville and said "Keys are in the cabin and the doors open, see you tomorrow".

I took a ride around the lake and everybody is busy trying to get ready for the weekend. Rudy at the General Store was busy getting things ready and the folks at the RV park were getting deliveries put away. I stopped by the boat shop and spoke to Jame's wife for a few minutes and then I went down to look at the ramp.

Let's just say that the ramp might be usable for a couple of more weeks but it's going to be sketchy. It looks to me like Val was right about the Ice pushing silt into the channel that they dredged and the left side dock is basically unusable. I don't think there's more than a foot of water there. The right side is short but it looks like they've pulled the base rock up so it's probably going to work for launching.

There's a sign at the ramp that say's launch at your own risk and there were no envelopes for paying the fee. I'm sure they'll put those out tomorrow. I'm going to launch there tomorrow with Val and I'll post back what I find.

We did have a little snow flurry blow through and the temps dropped but I think that will be gone tomorrow. The weekend should be good. We're in a full moon right now so it should be fun to watch the times that people go out. I know a little secret about this lake and full moons.

More to come as it happens.

shasta_steve
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Well hope to run into you tomorrow. I plan on being at the Marina at 6 to listen to Val's seminar. My parents got up there yesterday and Mom said it was cold today. Lots of people pouring into the campground. I am getting excited about getting away from work for a few days and maybe even catching some fish.

Jetspray
05-23-2013, 07:28 PM
I wish you all a great opener and hope your fishing is fantastic. Won't be going up myself for a bit more time. Good luck.........Jetspray

Line Stretcher
05-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Well hope to run into you tomorrow. I plan on being at the Marina at 6 to listen to Val's seminar. My parents got up there yesterday and Mom said it was cold today. Lots of people pouring into the campground. I am getting excited about getting away from work for a few days and maybe even catching some fish.

Great, I'll be there. It was snowing lightly here and on the way up. I told Dave, I'd brought my own water.. It did chill down pretty quick but it came back up. It's not bad now and the sky's are clear. I'm not sure that I need to scout it, I'll talk to Val and see what she thinks. I laid down for a quick nap a 4 and didn't wake up until a few minutes ago. LOL. I guess I relaxed when I realized I was home. LOL..

CAL.NDN
05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Thats good to hear steve glab your comfortable and home. I hope you have a great time up there and may the catching be plentifully.

Line Stretcher
05-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Just had a little quake here, minor, no big deal.

5.9 in Greenville, not far from here. I guess I'm conditioned to them. No damage here. It was short and quick.

Update: 6 quakes down by the south end of Almanor. 5.9 was the main all the others were aftershocks. Didn't feel those at all.

scnt junky
05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Felt that quake here in North Auburn

Line Stretcher
05-24-2013, 11:14 AM
The quake is already a thing of the past around here.

It's noon now and the typical winds are picking up. I don't know what Val's up to, I was out and about visiting this morning. I was try to get a feel for how many guides new about LNF/USFS special use permit requirements. I haven't run into any that knew about it yet but I only talked to a couple so far.

They're going to put the poles up at Spaulding today to mark the channel going out of the ramp. They will also be stocking up the envelop box later today.

Looking down the ramp from the top. The longer dock is on the left and people with smaller shallow draft boats should use that side. The right side is deeper and should be left for the deeper draft boats. I draw 17" and will need that right hand side. I promise to get my boat in and out of the way as quick as I can.

Here's my tip of the day, if you're going out tomorrow and reading this, there's no need to get up early. The bite will be later in the morning and the fish will be moving in from the deeper to the shallower water.

Big motors and fast boats don't impress anyone up here. Take your time and keep a constant lookout for water color change in front of you. If you're going slow they'll be no problem to avoid but if you're going fast you can get yourself in trouble really quick.

Be safe, courteous and aware and you'll have a great fishing experience.

Regarding the local fishing reports. You'll get a many different opinions at this point. Nobody's fished it yet so go with your instincts and attend Val's seminars and you'll do well.

Rugby Lock
05-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Great posts about the conditions and advice!

shasta_steve
05-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Good meeting you Steve. I got a couple this morning. Not big but promised the wife a fish for dinner and I have some friends coming this afternoon.
Got four hits total. Two on orange flies and two on Kokanee gear. An orange
spinner with an orange dodger. Both on lead core.

Line Stretcher
05-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Steve, it was good to meet you yesterday, good to here you did well today. I fished Rocky Point and picked up a little planter that I couldn't revive. I ran the alley down to Pelican and ran into a mess of fish holding just above Pelican. These were nice fish but I only had one shot and my rod went off the minute the screen filled up with fish. I picked up a nice fish and called it good for the morning.

I heard a lot of chatter about fish being caught at the south end which is what I was hoping for. I was all by myself up north and it was a beautiful morning.

I didn't even launch until around 8:00 and was back at the dock at 10:00. I'm not against people that C&R on this lake but I try not to do it and when I get my two, I get off the lake. It's just my way of fishing it and I don't expect others to follow my lead.

I heard Paul Bunyon's butt was producing nice fish this morning. Val did really well down that way and several others did well also.

I'm going to fish the north side of Pelican and then hook down by the Youth Camp tomorrow. I'm trying to stay away from the crowds and let them have a blast with the fresh plants. My goal when I decided to come up for the opener was to see how the fish were doing and if they were going to act like they have in previous years. I'm really happy to say the even with the low water the fish are right on track and this year will be another fantastic year for Eagle Lake.

Brutus20
05-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a great time. Hope the weather holds up for you. But then you already rode out an earthquake whats a little rain ,Right? Good luck to you sir. Great play by play report. Keep it coming.

....................Brutus.....

Line Stretcher
05-25-2013, 05:23 PM
LOL Brutus, there' s a storm blowing through now. So far no rain but we might have some tomorrow. Part of being up here is fishing, the other part is, well, just being here. Rain, quakes, snow, hail, beautiful Eagle Lake Trout and best of all, wonderful friends. What more could a anyone ask for and I've got two more day's of this... Yeeee Haww.

Line Stretcher
05-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Shasta Steve and anyone else that's up here and following this thread.

Fishing is going to be slow tomorrow. You don't need to start early but you may want to if you're fishing down south. It may take a while to get your fish.

I may have the edge having found the fish in the upper basin but they could as easily move on me over night. These fish will do that and you end up searching again. I'm sticking to my orange double jointed sure catches but I've also rigged fly's in orange with gold flash and chartreuse with red. I've got yellow grubs, night crawlers on my list too. Uncle Larry's perch are on my mind also. I think we may have to play it by ear until we figure it out.

I just did all the voodoo predictions, (solar lunar, humidity, barometer, tides, etc.) and it all points to a evening bite and a weak one at that. Couple that with the sudden pressure of boats on the water for the first time this year and my prediction is for a slow day tomorrow. I think we'll get our fish but they won't be on the bite like today.

Be safe out there and pay attention to the wind if you decide to venture north. Just remember if you come up through Pelican and have to go back through it, it can be a deadly passage if the wind is out of the north.

JB14
05-26-2013, 09:51 AM
All this eagle lake talk brings back so many memories of the years I spent on the lake with my grandpa. He'd spend a couple of months of the year up there and I'd join him for fantastic fishing. Eagles nest, shrimp island and pelican point.

I can't imagine that it's still open but there was a restaurant on the north side that looked like a castle. Sunday morning breakfast there was always the way we ended each trip.

Ok, back to current reports and such...

Line Stretcher
05-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Did your Grandpa stay at the RV park on the upper end?

Fish report - Nailed it.. I was on the water about 7:30 and went down to Pelican where I met several folks who'd obviously read my posts here. Still it wasn't congested at all but that was probably because of the wind and 4 foot waves. I only took green water over the bow once and that was when the Sheriff blew threw on plane.

Just below Pelican at the Broccoli tree was load with a mix if nice fat fish and Tui Chub. It was best to run upwind and then troll through it. Once the Tui's completely took over the trout moved out and back up north just about even with little Troxel. I got tired of fighting the wind and the weeds that go with it and quit around 10:30. My total for the day was 6 and all nice fish. I was fishing barbless Jay Fair fly's and the double jointed sure catch in watermelon. I had orange and chartreuse flys and both worked if I could keep the weeds off which wasn't easy.
I'm going to rubber cement coat my knots tonight and that will help with the weed problem some.

The wind was nasty but it was from the south so it wasn't the killer that blows out of the north. It did create a pretty good surge in the north basins. I was marking depths that were a good foot deeper then on Saturday.

Tomorrow the bite should be better but it will probably be about the same conditions if the weather report is correct. Most of the people will be leaving tonight or tomorrow so the crowds on the south end should be lighter. Val and I should be out there having a fish fest. I saw here coming in this morning but I haven't talked to her yet.

shasta_steve
05-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Like being in a washing machine out there today. Started about 7:30. Caught two right off the get go. Both about 16". Kept one and figured I would play with my down riggers. That did not work out too well with all the wind and fishing by myself. After about an hour went back to lead core. Caught a couple more. The last one was the smallest fish I have ever caught on the lake. Took a wave over the bow and decided to head in.

I wanted to go look for some good sized fish but figured I would wait for a calmer day. 3 fish on what look like Uncle Larry spinners and one on a fly. All between miners point and a little north of eagles nest.

JB14
05-26-2013, 02:29 PM
They'd stay at the Eagle Lake RV park near the airport. There was a boat shop close that I think was run by a guy named James.

Looking at google earth it looks totally changed since I was last there in 2003/2004. The parking lot at the ramp and dock where he kept a berth was dirt. We'd pull up next to the lake and walk to the boat.

He was up there from somewhere around 1990 - 2003/2004. Started out in a 14' aluminum with 15 hp and ended up taking his 22' sea ray. Much better ride on the way to and from the fishing grounds!!

Did your Grandpa stay at the RV park on the upper end?.

Line Stretcher
05-26-2013, 06:26 PM
They re-did the parking lot at the ramp and re-built the ramps a few years ago. Only one of the ramps has ever been usable. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

I spent most of the afternoon with James and Lannie down at the boat shop today. They are such nice people.

The odds are pretty good that I knew or met you Grandpa. My Dad and Mom would stay for most of the summer. There was a group of regulars up at the far back corner of the RV park, my parents were part of that group. I would come up whenever I could get away from work.

Line Stretcher
05-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Like being in a washing machine out there today. Started about 7:30. Caught two right off the get go. Both about 16". Kept one and figured I would play with my down riggers. That did not work out too well with all the wind and fishing by myself. After about an hour went back to lead core. Caught a couple more. The last one was the smallest fish I have ever caught on the lake. Took a wave over the bow and decided to head in.

I wanted to go look for some good sized fish but figured I would wait for a calmer day. 3 fish on what look like Uncle Larry spinners and one on a fly. All between miners point and a little north of eagles nest.

LOL, yep it was a little rough out there. I trolled into the wind for a long ways just scoping fish. I didn't care if I caught a fish or not. When I pulled in my lines they were covered in weed slime. I found the fish below Peli so they did move and they were over at Youth camp but the Tui moved in and pushed the trout back up through Peli. When I turned around I fished back up through with clean rigs and got my fish quick.

Val and I may fish tomorrow we're going to see what the weather looks like at 6:00 am. Its not looking good right now.

Line Stretcher
05-27-2013, 06:45 AM
Val and I called it a no-go today. Light rain started at 6:15am but let up quick. There's a light breeze building out of the southwest and the temp is just above freezing. Both of us old farts are pretty beat up after yesterday and both of us agreed that if were going to freeze our butts off and beat ourselves up chasing trout it better be Eagle Lake in October.

There were several boats that went out and the lake is probably going to be fine for a few hours. I'm not sure how the fishing will be, I'm sure folks will get their fish simply because there are so many to be had.

We were going to fish the south end today and that's where I'd fish if I launched down there.

If I were fishing North, I think I'd work little Troxel but be careful in there, it is shallow. I'd be running top lines with floating mono and maybe a Jay Fair trolling rig. I'd also be using a Olive Leach Jay Fair fly and a red sided shad floating broke back red sided shad Rapala. A threaded night crawler on 12lb mono with a single small split and a wiggle disc might be worth a try also.

Slow troll them all at about 1.25 to 1.5. The broke backs will work just fine slow in shallow water and will stay on top where you want them.

If you're headed out there keep a close eye on the weather and be safe. This could be one of the quiet storms that can happen this time of year but the satellite imagery shows it could get nasty really fast.

I broke down all my gear except my Fly Rod and I may try to talk Val into running down to Wildcat on the USFS back road and fishing Paul Bunyon's butt f(land of the lakes) from the shore. We'll see.

Line Stretcher
05-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Eagle lake fisherman that are out there now and using Tap a Talk, the fat lady is singing. If you're in a boat 16' or less I strongly suggest that you come in now. There will be another day.

shasta_steve
05-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Eagle lake fisherman that are out there now and using Tap a Talk, the fat lady is singing. If you're in a boat 16' or less I strongly suggest that you come in now. There will be another day.

Well I had Tap a Talk but was too busy trying to keep the boat strait and off the rocks to look at it. I fished off of the youth camp and pelican. I got beat up bad out there. I really should have got off the water sooner. It took the better part of an hour to get back to the south end. Got back about 11.

I did not have much luck out there today. I had one good takedown and I caught one medium sized fish. Both on flies. Possible I had other takedowns but was looking forward most of the time.

The trip back threw the channel sucked. Four foot waves breaking over the bow. Could only make about six miles an hour. The only good thing was I was really impressed how the boat handled it. Now my back and kidneys are a different story.

Line Stretcher
05-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Steve, glad to hear you got back safe and that you're boat handled it well. A wise man once told me, "Fishing isn't life or death, it's bigger than that".

I heard a lot of guy's had a rough time out there today.

Brutus20
05-27-2013, 01:06 PM
My problem is , put a fishing rod in my hand and sometimes common sense goes right out the window. It is tough to be patient when you first pull into camp though. You guys stay safe and catch lots of fish. The rest of the week (weather wise) is looking pretty good. So smoke em if you got em.

..................Brutus...

Brutus20
05-27-2013, 01:09 PM
We are expecting pictures..........

shasta_steve
05-27-2013, 01:45 PM
We are expecting pictures..........

I keep saying when I get a decent fish I will post a picture. Or I should say try to post. I have not ever done it with my phone. Almost all of the fish so far have been right around 16". Basically planters. I did catch one that was only 13". That was the reason I went north today to try and find some bigger fish. The one today was 17" but pretty fat.

I know they get bigger because my neighbor had a couple of 21" fish. I have until Thursday morning to find some.

Line Stretcher
05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Regarding Pictures - There is only one 3G cell tower here and it was overloaded with all the smart phones that came into the area this weekend. I'm just now starting to get some decent response times. I didn't take any fish pics this trip. When shasta_steve posts his that will be enough.

I'm leaving in the morning but I'll be back on the 22nd.

shasta_steve
05-28-2013, 05:33 PM

Well this was today. Nothing big. The biggest was about 19". The weather was great today.

I gave up on the east end in the south basin. All small fish. I have not seen any fish over 16" caught by anyone. I turned loose a couple before I went to the west side.

My first pass by shrimp island this morning I had a double. The first fish spit the hook at the boat. I picked up the other pole and the fish was still on. Got it to the boat and spun the boat around for another.

Got back to camp and got the wife. Picked one up just south of shrimp island. Hers was the biggest of course. Trolled clear down to wildcat for nothing. Came back up to about the same spot as the first one and caught a small one. It swallowed the spinner so we headed in.

Jetspray
05-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Pretty cool that you could get at doubble hook-up, there were times in the past that it could not happen while fishing alone on Eagle Lake. Thanks for that report shasta_steve......Jetspray

shasta_steve
05-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Well same thing this morning. One 17 & one 18. I would of thrown the 17 back but he was a little beat up. Off the water by 9. Had one really good takedown but he came off halfway to the boat. Funny in the morning most of the fish are lip hooked but in the afternoon they usually get it in the mouth or throat.

Getting windy here and wife won't go out. Tomorrow morning will be last trip.14692

This is the boat launch on the south end. Braver guys than me on those small boats.

CAL.NDN
05-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Sounds like you guys are having fun and eating well them suppose to great tasting trout

Line Stretcher
05-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Steve, when you go out tomorrow, the second bay below shrimp is a really good spot. You have to troll into it and watch your depth. That's the infamous 10' ledge. When you hit 6' turn and come back out. If you catch old one eye, release him please. He's at least 5 years old now.

Line Stretcher
05-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Shasta_Steve is nearly done for this trip and has learned a lot about Eagle Lake - I'm going back on the 22nd of June. If anyone is interested you can probably get the blue or gold studios if you call Dave at Heritage Land now. These aren't fancy at all and have their little quirks. I just put a new fill valve in the Blue cabins toilet but the duct tape is wearing thin on the kitchen sink drain. LOL.. You can't rent a hotel room for anywhere near the price and it's a full service studio with kitchen and sleeps two very comfortably. You can also call the RV park regarding slips if you want one.

If you think I'm promoting Eagle Lake for my own gain, well, yes, I am. The folks up there are my friends and they are having a tough time right now. The fishing is fantastic but there's been a lot of bad info put out that's keeping people away.

From June 23rd - June 29 I'll be offering free fish alongs at Eagle Lake. I will help you with your rig setup, fish along side you and get you on and off the lake with the greatest of ease. If you're into fly fishing float tubes, PM me and I'll see if I can get you in with a well known guide.

49erbassman
05-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Shasta_Steve is nearly done for this trip and has learned a lot about Eagle Lake - I'm going back on the 22nd of June. If anyone is interested you can probably get the blue or gold studios if you call Dave at Heritage Land now. These aren't fancy at all and have their little quirks. I just put a new fill valve in the Blue cabins toilet but the duct tape is wearing thin on the kitchen sink drain. LOL.. You can't rent a hotel room for anywhere near the price and it's a full service studio with kitchen and sleeps two very comfortably. You can also call the RV park regarding slips if you want one.

If you think I'm promoting Eagle Lake for my own gain, well, yes, I am. The folks up there are my friends and they are having a tough time right now. The fishing is fantastic but there's been a lot of bad info put out that's keeping people away.

From June 23rd - June 29 I'll be offering free fish alongs at Eagle Lake. I will help you with your rig setup, fish along side you and get you on and off the lake with the greatest of ease. If you're into fly fishing float tubes, PM me and I'll see if I can get you in with a well known guide.

Good man!!

How is the bank fishing?

Fish on!

Line Stretcher
05-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Funny you should ask. The morning I was leaving, the neighbor said they'd been bank fishing at Christe Day use and did well. The east side may produce a few but it is deep water and the fish won't start showing up there in volume for another couple of months. The west side is very accessible but the Osprey refuge area is closed when they are nesting. You need to watch to closure reports for the lake since it can vary slightly. Float tubing off Wildcat is always hot.I didn't bank it this last trip but I think with the low water you should be able to get out to the ledge without too much trouble. Hip waders should be all you need but you have to be careful that muck on the bottom is pumice muck and is slippery as snot.

Rugby Lock
05-30-2013, 07:27 AM

What sort of bad info?

Line Stretcher
05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
What sort of bad info?

People are saying that the lake has no water, that the upper basins are dry, there's no launching, there's rocks and boating hazards everywhere, the fish aren't big enough, etc. I've also heard that the lake levels are up, the fish are huge and tons of them, all ramps are open and launching is a breeze. It's all over the map. The bad reports keep people away and the overly good reports dissapoint.

I've reported the conditions as they currently exist. For current conditions before you arrive you only need to go to EagleLakeFishing.Net Eagle Lake Fishiing California (http://www.eaglelakefishing.net) and read the latest reports.

shasta_steve
05-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Well finally made it home. Thought it might be nice to go the Reno route as I would not have to stop at every small town but when I got into I-80 traffic in Sac I figured I should have went down threw Chico again.

Had a good morning and a still pretty good morning. The good part was I finally got my 21" fish. The pretty good part was we farmed lots of fish. Got the first hit this morning about 6:30 and handed the pole to my wife. She got it most of the way to the boat and stopped reeling and off it went. It was a good fish. Next I got the 21" on my downrigger with my light Kokanee pole. It was fun. Had a couple more hits and no sticks. Picked up a couple more about 17". Trying to get the last one before I headed in and got a good hit and got it almost all the way to the boat when it came unhooked. Another good fish. Couldn't blame the wife on that was as I had my drag a little too tight. We got one more about 16" and headed in about 10:30.

Fishing was not red hot but should have been done much earlier. Most this morning were on orange Jay Fair flies. Did have several hits on the spinners too and the last fish was on a spinner. None of the fish were hooked deep again. Not sure if I am trolling too fast or they just don't hit that hard in the morning.

Had a great time. I have never spent much time on the south end of the lake. The campground was great. Lots of room. We had electrical hookups. There are some great campsites right on the lake but they don't have power. It was easy to tie up your boat but just remember to bring at least 150' of rope and a stake. Smart people also bring waders but I just wore shorts out and changed into my pants when I got on the boat. It was not that bad at all. I would like to know why the built the bathrooms they way they did. They are huge but nothing in them. I am guessing they may have thought about putting showers in them. If not it was a giant waste of Government money.

Went down to Spaulding one afternoon. It looks really good and unless you had seen the water up before you would not know any different. I saw boats launching but did not go down to the ramp. Good on you pdgs for helping out. Spaulding was always one of my favorite places. I used to hang out there a lot even when were not fishing. Lots of places for sale there now. I have thought about trying to buy a place there. Be nice to have a place to go hang out and much of my family is down the road near Adin. Sounds like the lake has kind of settled out and while the average fish size seems to have gone down, it is still a great fishery. I am going to go back in the fall.

Line Stretcher
05-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Steve. Re lip hooking fish. That's normal for this time of year and with new to Eagle Lake fisherman. With these fish they first run away and then run right at you trying to spit the hook. When you get them to the boat the look at you and then take one last dive and one last run at you and thats when most folks loose them. This is one of the reasons that I like a 8'6' or 9' medium fast steelhead rod on that lake. I'm constantly working the drag and using the leverage of the long rod to keep the line tight.

People that fish that lake all the time will use a shorter but stiffer rod than what you would normally use for trout. Val's rods at the seminar are all 7'-6" and she prefers them. Although, I think I could convert her if I put the Lami SI 904 in her hands.

Great reporting also, thank you.

redneckpunk
05-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Steve. Re lip hooking fish. That's normal for this time of year and with new to Eagle Lake fisherman. With these fish they first run away and then run right at you trying to spit the hook. When you get them to the boat the look at you and then take one last dive and one last run at you and thats when most folks loose them. This is one of the reasons that I like a 8'6' or 9' medium fast steelhead rod on that lake. I'm constantly working the drag and using the leverage of the long rod to keep the line tight.

People that fish that lake all the time will use a shorter but stiffer rod than what you would normally use for trout. Val's rods at the seminar are all 7'-6" and she prefers them. Although, I think I could convert her if I put the Lami SI 904 in her hands.

Great reporting also, thank you.

I used to fish Eagle with my ex-inlaws and the father in-law who has a place at Spaulding used heavier rods but I never understood why. He used to just say "because I catch more fish than you guys". Thats some great info to know.

~RNP

drtyserb
05-31-2013, 10:40 AM
WOW steelhead rods???? in my opinion WAY over kill. I have been fishing the lake for over 30 years and only use 7'6 ultra lite rods. 6lb test on slip bobber set up with 5 ft of4lb leader.... i use 4lb test if just free lining.. trolling i use 6lb with 4lb leader... never had a problem! my dad caught a 10 pounder a few years back on 6lb test and medium lite rod... his pic and fish was at gallatin beach and up at spaulding general store for awhile. just stating my opinion on rod selection..

Line Stretcher
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
WOW steelhead rods???? in my opinion WAY over kill. I have been fishing the lake for over 30 years and only use 7'6 ultra lite rods. 6lb test on slip bobber set up with 5 ft of4lb leader.... i use 4lb test if just free lining.. trolling i use 6lb with 4lb leader... never had a problem! my dad caught a 10 pounder a few years back on 6lb test and medium lite rod... his pic and fish was at gallatin beach and up at spaulding general store for awhile. just stating my opinion on rod selection..

If the picture was at the General Store then George and Rudy still have it. If you'd like I can call George and ask her. Was your Dads name on it? If you want, PM me with any info you have that might help identify it. I'd really like to see a 10lb eagle lake trout. I hadn't heard of any being caught that big in the last 10 or 15 years. It would certainly be a rarity now since with the average life span of about 6 years and the average growth rate of approx 1lb per year. They will be heavier in the late fall when they fatten up for the winter but come spring they'll have lost most of that extra fat. I suspect your Dad probably got that fish in late October or early November am I correct?

By the way, I use a longer rod because I like to get the fish to the boat before it stresses so it can be released if I decide I don't want to keep it. DFW has until Nov 15 to prove that that ELT should not be placed on the endagered species list. I seriously doubt they will manage to prove it should not. I have U/L rigs and love them but Eagle Lake is not the place to be using them. You may consider doing a little research about the effects of using U/L rigs and how the added stress during the fight dramatically reduces the probability of survival after C&R.

drtyserb
05-31-2013, 12:55 PM
If the picture was at the General Store then George and Rudy still have it. If you'd like I can call George and ask her. Was your Dads name on it? If you want, PM me with any info you have that might help identify it. I'd really like to see a 10lb eagle lake trout. I hadn't heard of any being caught that big in the last 10 or 15 years. It would certainly be a rarity now since with the average life span of about 6 years and the average growth rate of approx 1lb per year. They will be heavier in the late fall when they fatten up for the winter but come spring they'll have lost most of that extra fat. I suspect your Dad probably got that fish in late October or early November am I correct?

By the way, I use a longer rod because I like to get the fish to the boat before it stresses so it can be released if I decide I don't want to keep it. DFW has until Nov 15 to prove that that ELT should not be placed on the endagered species list. I seriously doubt they will manage to prove it should not. I have U/L rigs and love them but Eagle Lake is not the place to be using them. You may consider doing a little research about the effects of using U/L rigs and how the added stress during the fight dramatically reduces the probability of survival after C&R.
i think its been about 8 to 10 years ago october.. maybe if we are there at the same time i could show u the mount its at their place in spaulding..and yes iam very familiar with your "research " argument but it mostly talks about summer C&R effects and water temp, deep hook i could go on but you have read it .... i dont really fish the dead of summer.there are many variables to that argument.. Thanks for the offer to call but no need..both my parents and i have property there . my parents for 36 years. we know george and rudy very well.. we have the pic. not sure if there is one at the store.. never looked... although they had the fish at their store the first year

Jetspray
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
I am with pdgs on this one, biggest I caught was 7.5 lbs just outside the breakwater at the marina. Bigger slugs may be there as they tend to have a ton of food to grow. Since the lake freezes over and they are landlocked it is not normal nowdays that they get to 10lbs or greater. It would be abnormal, but possible. Back in t he 30's they used to fly into this lake, because of the great trout fishing......Jetspray

Line Stretcher
05-31-2013, 06:19 PM
I'll be up there on the 22nd through the 29th over at the end of Delwood. I'll be up there several times all season and I would love to see that fish. Maybe we can get together and fish a few of the hot spots. July and August are not my favorite times to fish the lake either. If the rag weed doesn't drive you nuts that flat calm water will.. LOL.. Last year, amazingly, the PH levels stayed pretty flat and they never enforced catch and keep.

I missed my October trip due to the jerks I was working for and then missed another trip in November for the same reason. If I miss trips because of the jerk I work for this year, that jerk will be me. Aint gonna happen...LOL...

A couple of years back I fished it with Ultra Light gear but with all the new information that's comming out, I'm back to my old stand-by's.

I'm not sure if you're a Steelhead fisherman or not but my Steelhead rods have super sensitive tips. I can feel the difference between draggin the mud and an investigative bump. In a rod holder when the fish takes it, they load up the rod and when they do that turn it set's the hook even deeper. Switching over to them 20+ years ago (Lamiglass NorWest Special) put more fish in the boat for me so I'm sticking with what's working for me. We all don't have to fish the same way or with the same gear, we just have to fish. Fishing is not a life or death thing, it's at a much higher level than that.

shasta_steve
05-31-2013, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure if you're a Steelhead fisherman or not but my Steelhead rods have super sensitive tips. I can feel the difference between draggin the mud and an investigative bump. In a rod holder when the fish takes it, they load up the rod and when they do that turn it set's the hook even deeper. Switching over to them 20+ years ago (Lamiglass NorWest Special) put more fish in the boat for me so I'm sticking with what's working for me. We all don't have to fish the same way or with the same gear, we just have to fish. Fishing is not a life or death thing, it's at a much higher level than that.

I need to get some decent medium weight rods. The ones I was using were 8.5' and too heavy. I just did not know what I wanted to buy and decided to live with what I had. I had three 6500 C3's set up with lead core and the reels worked great. I also brought three UL Kokanee setups, but with the wind and being by myself, I was wasting too much time trying to use my downriggers.

Any sugestions for a good "decently" priced medium weight rod for Eagle Lake and Mackinaw trolling? I say decently priced because I am going to have to buy 2 to 4 of them. I also need to get a new chip for my GPS and I am looking at getting a Trollmaster for my kicker. I loved my kicker- Ipilot combination for trolling but would like to have a little more control of the speed.

I am pretty sure the wife is going to kill me someday.

Line Stretcher
06-01-2013, 05:47 AM
I'll PM you..