PDA

View Full Version : Hook Sizes for Types of Fish

WHT.RUS
05-20-2013, 06:28 AM
Hello everyone! Just wanted to see what size hooks people use per type of fish! Would help me gather some info....

3/0 and 4/0 Octopus for Striped Bass. Haven't had much luck this year though. Not sure if its the hook size, bait rigging or lack of fish.

#2 and #4 for AR Salmon and Steelhead. 1/0 for Oroville.

What about you guys?:help:

Line Stretcher
05-20-2013, 07:21 AM
There are so many variables. There's the standard rule of thumb stuff and then there's fishing.

I believe that the eye size is more about determining the correct hook size. For a snelled hook I should be able to run the line through twice just barely. For Steelies with a 15lb leader that usually means a #4 or #6. With 20lb leader it's gotta be a #2.

With plugs and lures, I go with a eye size that allows the hook to move smoothly. Too much slop and the hook hugs the body of the lure. Too little and it hangs up and doesn't swing. The size of the lure or plug and the hook mounts will tell you what to use.

With larger mouth fish that like to play with their food I go bigger in hopes that it will hang up when they try to spit it out.

I don't know if that helps you or not. I'm just brainstorming.

WHT.RUS
05-20-2013, 08:00 AM
That's actually some good info! Thanks!

WhopperStopper
05-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Avoid using smaller sized hooks for stripers if bait fishing to avoid gut hooking shakers.

dabalone
05-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Avoid using smaller sized hooks for stripers if bait fishing to avoid gut hooking shakers.

I agree with Whopper. I Rarely bait fish, but when I do it is with the largest hook I can reasonably use for each species, I am not concerned with hooking every fish that bites. I have also become a fan of circle hooks and even tie flies with them, they work as intended. For self sustaining species and when using bait I think its important for people to take a couple extra steps that can help avoid deep hooked fish, larger hooks, circle hooks and using one rod helps.