PDA

View Full Version : stinger rig for live bait

kromebrite
05-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Any ideas as to how one might, if at all, rig an anchovie with a small stinger for halibut drifting? Or would it interfere with the bait's action too much and make them swim funny. Or die too fast.

CaptBrandon
05-31-2006, 07:58 PM
You just answered your own question , Best (and do as i say not as i do)
is to just hold your rod with thumb on line. I watched an underwater camera of them bitting and you'd be suprised how many big hali's can come up chomp it,spit it out and never wiggle a tip.

put_em_back
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
I like to use a bronze octopus (2 or 4) hook for the nose hook and use a small bronze treble for the rear. * The nose hook obviously goes through the nose and the stinger flaps free in the water. *Figure that you'll most likely be drifting so the stinger (4 or 6) will trail behind your nose hook. *Works very well.

I like using bronze hooks because they are cheap and you can put a great point on them. *Just chuck the ones you have used at the end of the day. *You can always use Gamis or Owners, but at a higher cost.

Oh yeah, match the rig to the bait size. Stinger should wave around right around the tail.

Dan_O
06-01-2006, 08:29 AM
How do you tie on the stinger hook/leader to the main leader and nose hook?
Thanks. We're taking a boatload of kids [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]out tommorrow on the CA Dawn. First day of their summer vacation [smiley=banana.gif]. Will post a rpt.

DanO

nogimmies
06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
I tie them with 15-20 lb leader mat'l. The Front hook I tie on with a slider /snell and the rear a perfection loop or a clinch knot will also suffice. I use 12-15 for the holding line tied on top of the leader material
May take some practice on your part though if your not familiar with those knots.
heck if worse comes to worse just bait those kids up witha singlr hook and get them in the water. The fish will do the rest.
Practice tying some up when your on the trip.
Bring some baggies ,Side cutters and twistee ties and a hooks ,line etc.
Good luck
hope you whack em
nogimmies

kromebrite
06-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the input. Probaly best to use a very small hook as the stinger so as to not mess up Mr. Anchovies swimming. I just remember too vividly pulling an anchovie out of the (what probaly was) halibuts mouth. Just thinking that a little extra sharp point might help.

ZACK
06-01-2006, 12:47 PM
I would listen to your skipper or deck hand when they give you the talk on what to do when you get your hali bite. Most people when getting bit will point the rod toward the bait which will give the line some slack and count to three and pull up and set the hook. Firmly but not overly hard. This will give the fish enough time to eat up to the hook. Fishing live bait is great for kids, or people that do not fish much as fish bite and as long as you let them eat it without pre maturely pulling it away they will eat it.

Good luck wish I was going out with you but I will be out there soon.

ZACK!