PDA

View Full Version : ar shad 5/21

Pecar
05-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Last season I was going out to harrington and catching shad all the time, i went there a couple days ago fished for about 2 hours and a few people out there but nothing was caught and the water was really low so im not sure if harrington is still a good spot. Where can I go to catch some shad? I still haven't hooked up this season.

Thanks in advance

-pecar

Wishnbfishn
05-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Last season I was going out to harrington and catching shad all the time, i went there a couple days ago fished for about 2 hours and a few people out there but nothing was caught and the water was really low so im not sure if harrington is still a good spot. Where can I go to catch some shad? I still haven't hooked up this season.

Thanks in advance

-pecar

I did pretty well at Sailor Bar Sunday late afternoon / early evening. Not red hot, but 6 fish in a couple of hours. Drifted for awhile, then went to a bobber and started catching.

I heard Sunrise was producing for some as well.

Good luck!

Wishn

Rugby Lock
05-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Does anyone ever catch any around Ancil Hoffman?

Wishnbfishn
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Yes, I caught my very first shad at Ancil Hoffman 10+ years ago, and still catch them there occasionally. It's more difficult in low water years like this one. The current is slow when the water is low, and I find it tough to get a good drift. There are spots that are more productive, IMHO.

Wishn

cravenmonket
05-21-2013, 09:26 PM
I think it's still relatively early-days yet this year for shad on the AR. I have been catching 1,2,3 shad in a two hour stretch at my spot in the mornings, and it seems to be strong on the bite at first, and then it dries up after a few. It's almost as though the shad are spooky this year and are getting used to the jigs flowing past them.

This morning I hit the water, Fair Oaks area, at 8.30am and within minutes - on my third cast - got a strong strike and caught a beautiful male, probably my biggest shad ever. And then immediately afterwards the bite went ice cold for the rest of the day. Last year, when the shad were biting, they just kept on biting.

So I'm hoping it is just early-days and the bite will improve, because shad is some of the most rewarding fishing I've found!

BeefCakeScout
05-22-2013, 06:16 AM
It's almost as though the shad are spooky this year

we were talking about this, so we tested a theory. After you catch a fish and the bite goes dead....move.

20 yds up or down stream will find your school.

Starscream
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
jw if you guys are fishing in the area do you guys go barbless too?

cravenmonket
05-22-2013, 05:27 PM
we were talking about this, so we tested a theory. After you catch a fish and the bite goes dead....move.

20 yds up or down stream will find your school.

Interesting. I've tried moving around a bit within the two or three hundred yards of river I tend to fish. Not much luck. I will keep that in mind though definitely.

Went out today in the morning - cold and windy! Really hard getting a good drift w/ a bobber on. Three fly fishermen and three spinner guys, and only 4 fish between us all!

Starscream - I always go barbless as per the regs, but I am not sure about everyone else. TBH, once you have a shad on, it's hard to lose them. Barbs aren't really necessary. It's getting them to bite, and finding your school, that's the hard part...