PDA

View Full Version : Timber Cove info

janbfishinfolk
05-27-2006, 09:04 AM
I've only fished there once on a party boat but I remember pretty good action in 60 ft of waterfor lingcod. I was wondering if anyone thinks it would be safe enough to take my 15 pro v tracker? The gunnels are a bit low but I thought i might try it on a calm day. Any info on the area would be apprecated.

thanks
John

fishhogg
05-27-2006, 06:50 PM
on a calm day u would be fine, check theweather forcast 1st! For some good spots, ocean cove around the wash rock is great, then to the north side of the cove in about 80 feet of water holds alot of lings, plus snags...
good luck great fishing for any boat in close...

TSL
05-27-2006, 06:53 PM
timber cove is quite the distance from bodega bay
where are you planning to launch from?
the best part is that is north of bodega and the ride home would be smoother than trying to come from point reyes
remember that the wind and waves usaully come up in the afternoon
and sometimes come up in quite the hurry
i am not telling you not to go
but i do not want to hear about you in a fatal report

TSL

BigAbHunter
05-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, you can launch right from Timber Cove..... It cost us about 25 bucks to launch our Achilles there last year. The old timer is very nice but the younger dude was a bit of a jerk...... They have an old truck that launches your boat.

It's cheaper to launch from Ocean Cove. Although it can be tricky without a 4X4. Costs about 8 bucks.

-BAH

Atwater
05-28-2006, 06:31 AM
We used to launch out of Timber Cove, many years ago. They'd haul the boat down to the water, then launch by crane. We used a 14' Klamath, and they used to rent 14 or 16 foot skiffs. Like someone said, watch the weather and you should be fine.

Watched my dad bring up a 20lb+ ling to the boat, only to have it open its mouth and spit out.....my dads one pound weight! Good memories...

janbfishinfolk
05-28-2006, 07:47 AM
I would definetly want to launch out of Timber cove. Don't have a 4X4 truck. I know all about Bodega's nasty afternoon swell and that's really what I wondered about timber cove. Thanks for your help.

montev
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
For years we used to launch our 12 foot aluminum at Ocean Cove...and we didn't have a 4x4 at the time. We caught a lot of rock fish there...and some big lings. It's also a nice place to camp. If it's too rough to go out in the boat, there's some good rocks to fish off the shore just south of Ocean Cove...by the park.

janbfishinfolk
05-31-2006, 06:58 AM
Good to Know you can fish off the rocks if need be. Can you do that at Timber Cove as well? How far is Ocean Cove from Timber?

montev
05-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey John, there are rocks you can fish from at Timber Cove as well. As I recall Timber Cove and Ocean Cove are a mile or two apart.

janbfishinfolk
05-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Anyone have contact information for the boat launch at Timber or Ocean Cove? I'm not finding any phone numbers on the web. Is it correct that Sept is the best time for Lings in close?

montev
05-31-2006, 11:21 AM
Here's a link for Ocean Cove: http://www.oceancove.org/
And one for a lot of contact numbers in the area: http://www.bodegabaysurf.com/Ruoff%20Rental/Activities.htm