PDA

View Full Version : Halibut in Berkeley

hqly2001
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Ihope to get into some halibut fishing in a few weeks. I heard the berkeley flat s doing ok.. does anyone kno where exactly do you fish?
Do you fish near the broken part of the pier? how far out?
I've fished closer to th pier but was always snagged up on weed.

Also.. do you fish the side that is closer to richmond or emeryville?

What is the best tide for halibut? high or low?

Thanks for the info!

pinfish
05-25-2006, 08:26 AM
anywhere from the 100 yards out middle to the end either side, calm hot morning, non-minus tide

halibutking
05-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Fished on Tuesday on the Huck Finn. We fished the flats from the pier over to the bay bridge. Lots of bait metered in that area. We drifted that side only all day and kept picking fish consistently all day. Some were too small some were keepers. I ended up with two shaker halis, a limit of halis, with my biggest and of the boat @22lbs., and one bass of 6lbs. Missed two. Lots of shaker halis were hooked. For 9 of us we boated 14 keeper halis and 4 or 5 bass. Very productive and fun trip. Most fish bit on the outgoing which surprised me.

hqly2001
05-25-2006, 07:18 PM
god day halibutking.. i might give them a try.. bacosts too much now lol...

so you were fishing towards the bridge side? did they drift about 100 yards out then motored back and drifted again or did they just drift out until near the bay bridge?

i can't seem to find the flats.. always get snag on algae and weeds..

Thanks pinfish.. do u ever get snag in algae/weeds? so frm 100 yards out u drift another 100 yards then motored back up and redrift?

gmdcdvm
05-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Dam Halibutking,
I was on that boat, and based on your report I would say your name could be Ron. It was nice meeting you and sharing the rail with you. Maybe I'll see you and your pops out there again in the future. By the way did your girlfriend want that bass scaled or not?
Gerry

pinfish
05-28-2006, 06:07 PM
sorry i meant right off the pier. thus if you're on a boat, just fish close to the pier relics or the pier when all's clear.hehe

the fish like structure and the fishermen on the pier just drop their line down