PDA

View Full Version : Sucker Fish ?

insearchoffish
05-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know what species of suckerfish are in the american river. I keep seeing them and am curious to know a little about them. Might start trying to catch some.

IronClad
05-27-2013, 05:30 PM
sacramento sucker probably. there are other types of sucker in the river systems but that one seems the most prevalent

AnglingWes
05-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Kevin, what's up with the junk fish? First carp, now suckers... bored with the trout?

insearchoffish
05-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Kevin, what's up with the junk fish? First carp, now suckers... bored with the trout?

Ill never tire of trout.
LOL Im broke and cant afford to drive to where the trout bite is good every week so in the gaps Im trying to learn to catch as many different species as I can, 14 so far this year. Plus I dont mind having all the different Kayak Wars records. :signfishon34hi6zv:

Carp were pretty fun and I think are highly underrated I will surely continue to fish for them, unlike blue gill, red ear, crappie and squaws. I mainly c&r anyway so why not catch BIG fish! Im waiting on you and scott to learn to catch the spots by my house, conflicting schedules has been a pain lately, someday soon :)

AnglingWes
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Very soon. I'm totally in yak mode, and would dig tapping into whatever is biting in your area.

IronClad
05-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Dont get too excited about catching a big suckerfish lol.. Its like reeling in a branch, no fight at all.

Swimbaitjunkie
05-27-2013, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know what species of suckerfish are in the american river. I keep seeing them and am curious to know a little about them. Might start trying to catch some.

That specie your wondering about is ME.....I'm the biggest sucker on the American river...LOL :rotfl:....JP, JP.....every summer dive the AR for lost goods N always see suckerfish everywhere...to fish for them just find clams or crawfish in the river for bait...BTW they don't fight as hard as carp but still fun to catch....

BeefCakeScout
05-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Sac sucker. Rumor has it they are TASTY! As soon as I catch one, i'll let you know

insearchoffish
05-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Sac sucker. Rumor has it they are TASTY! As soon as I catch one, i'll let you know

I read someplace on the net today that sometimes it will be sold as mullet! So if people are willing to buy it, the taste cant be that bad!

The sac sucker was not on the Yak wars list :( only white, longnose, and red something. so I will probably only try for them if I cant find the shad.

Thanks for all the replies, I hope these goofy threads I start help more than myself :)

BeefCakeScout
05-27-2013, 09:48 PM
IIRC the sack sucker is a subspecies of the white sucker. My grandpa grew up eating lots of redhorse suckers during the depression. Doug Stange(In-Fisherman) says the redhorse is one of his favorite fish to eat.

westcoastdave
05-28-2013, 06:50 AM
The Suckers are Sacramento Suckers. They mostly feed early in the morning and in the afternoon before dark. Half a nightcrawler, clams, and crayfish meat are good for them. Use a #2 hook, and fish on the bottom.

WhopperStopper
05-28-2013, 07:30 PM
For some reason I happen to hook quite a few of them while drifting beads during salmon season. I usually use a 5mm pale orange bead so I would imagine drifting salmon eggs would score some sac suckers. Mikes atlas baits has a really good jarred salmon egg that are peach or really pale orange color that's packed in oil. They are killer for steelies when the bite gets though and I bet they would work awesome for the suckers. Any of the pautske eggs or any jarred salmon eggs should work.