PDA

View Full Version : Growing Bad Habit?

simplycook
05-29-2013, 02:32 PM
I'm writing this because in the past month (6-7 outings), I've been seeing some pretty outrageous "habits" of some fishermen. Other than the typical loud banter, I've been seeing a lot of guys overdoing it when it comes to "setting the hook." Maybe its all coincidental, but 7 occasions in a row? Come on...

I've been introducing my girlfriend to fishing, specifically trout fishing because its relatively easy right now. We've been fishing at all the East Bay lakes/reservoirs and I'm happy she's taken a liking to it. On our recent outing (last Friday), the trout bite was easy pickings. Lots of 1-lbers, must have C&R 25+. I've been teaching her to feel the bite with her hands, the difference between nibbles vs bites, setting the hook, and keeping the line tight. So far, she's done fairly well.

Over to our left, not 15ft, two other fishermen had the same luck we did, nonstop bites. But as I watch them "set the hook", they would heave/swing their rods all the way back. Literally 180 degrees. Their bells would fly far behind them.

My girlfriend asked me, "What are they doing?"

I replied, "Hell if I know."

It was unbelievable. They would swing their rod(s) as if they were catching huge 20lb salmon, when most, if not all, the fish were small 1-2lb trout. They definitely lost a lot of fish. I'm surprised they didn't yank any fish out of the water.

I've been seeing this "bad" technique a lot recently. I hoping these guys aren't teach this to their kids.

AnglingWes
05-29-2013, 02:35 PM
You can blame Bill Dance for the "TV Hookset". Im guilty of it myself on occasion. Its most likely a product of bass and Striper fishermen, like myself, lacking finesse.

BeefCakeScout
05-29-2013, 02:41 PM
blah blah blah bad(opinon) habits blah blah

It was unbelievable. They would swing their rod(s) as if they were catching huge 20lb salmon, when most, if not all, the fish were small 1-2lb trout. They definitely lost a lot of fish. I'm surprised they yank any fish out of the water.

I've been seeing this "bad" habit a lot recently. I hoping these guys aren't teach this to their kids.

Does it REALLY bother you that much that other people fish differently than you? Maybe its a good habit from being really good sturgeon fisherman.......

WhopperStopper
05-29-2013, 02:43 PM
I think for the most part the reason is to get a good hookset depending on if there's any slack in the line or if they are using stretchy mono. I know when I fish for sturgeon I'll set the hook twice and swing hard to make sure I bury the hook. I understand for trout it may be a little overkill but I've never seen anything wrong in it. I guess if you don't want your gf to do it just show her your preferences

LURKER916
05-29-2013, 03:02 PM
I tend to swing less when setting but also realize the fellas next to me who swing more hook more fish.

simplycook
05-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Does it REALLY bother you that much that other people fish differently than you? Maybe its a good habit from being really good sturgeon fisherman.......

So you're saying you use sturgeon tactics when fishing for small trout? :goodidea4gq:
Yes, I realize it is MY opinion, however, I believe there is a technique for each species of fish. Why else do we use different baits, lures, rods, lines, etc...

Doesn't really bother me. If anything, its amusing. And I may have jump the gun by saying "bad habits." I should have rephrased it as a "bad technique."

westcoastdave
05-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Setting the hook more aggressivley will often tear the hooks out of fish with tender mouths, like Crappie,Shad, and trout. Im not much of muscle bound guy, I give the fish more of a hook set from my wrist, and I lose very few fish.

IronClad
05-29-2013, 04:21 PM
I am guilty of the TV hookset. Mostly when im fishing for bass or other hardmouth fish like catfish. I usually use a little more finess with trout and the like though, A friend of mine does that hard hookset for pretty much everything and i give him crap about it when we are trout fishing when he gets mad for not hooking the fish.. I will say i have lost quite a few fish when doing soft hooksets especially with bass.

If you really want to WTF go watch surf fishing videos for stuff like sharks.. Those guys reel up the slack and run all the way up the beach to set the hook.

49erbassman
05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
I find myself doing this on days where I'm not catching fish. I tell myself stop swinging for the fence and you'll hook a fish and sure enough usually fish on. I chalk it up to being impatient.

Fish on!

BeefCakeScout
05-29-2013, 05:20 PM
So you're saying you use sturgeon tactics when fishing for small trout? :goodidea4gq:
Yes, I realize it is MY opinion, however, I believe there is a technique for each species of fish. Why else do we use different baits, lures, rods, lines, etc...

Doesn't really bother me. If anything, its amusing. And I may have jump the gun by saying "bad habits." I should have rephrased it as a "bad technique."

I fish trout maybe once a year....so yeah, if I got a tug, I would set the hook like I mean it out of sheer habit.

CRABBY
05-29-2013, 05:30 PM
LOL,a hard swing for the world when fishing for trout an kokes will usually mean lost fish,just the way it is!!Us trout koke guys know that,take up the slack an a mild hookset is all that's needed for trout,kokes, well most just reel em in!!!:doc:

JB14
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Rip their face off!! I don't want a fish that can't handle a hook set!!

IronClad
05-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Now this is how you set the hook.

http://youtu.be/W_qWa2LSJwY

Nor*Cal
05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
some guys just miss catching sturgeon! haha

lineside
05-29-2013, 10:30 PM
I think some of those guys just want everyone to see that they have a fish on.And when they rip the lips off and lose the fish,they will tell you it was huge.

Swimbaitjunkie
05-29-2013, 11:33 PM
I tend to swing less when setting but also realize the fellas next to me who swing more hook more fish.

Hey Matt...that fella next at you was ME.... LOL...U know wassup...rip them lipps!!!!!

simplycook
05-29-2013, 11:43 PM
I fish trout maybe once a year....so yeah, if I got a tug, I would set the hook like I mean it out of sheer habit.

Fair enough.

I haven't fished for big striped bass, sturgeon, salmon, sharks, halibut, or rays in a long time... guess I should polish up my swing.

As they say.... Go Big or Go Home?

WHT.RUS
05-30-2013, 07:18 AM
Definetly amusing when seeing those hook sets. Right now during shad, we are slaying them. The guys next to us took forever to hook any. And when they did, they always broke off. Fellas came up to us asking about leaders/jigs, so I tell them that they need to lighten up on the hook sets. If you hook them on the top lip, it probably would be a good set, but the bottom lip is much softer, so the hard set usually just rips the mouth and the fish is gone. Well those guys didnt listen to a word I said, ending the day with just couple fish banked. Gotta adjust your hook sets depending on the species. Like Ryan mentioned though, some people don't fish the smaller fish often so when they feel the tug, they react like they would on a bigger fish.

LURKER916
05-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Hey Matt...that fella next at you was ME.... LOL...U know wassup...rip them lipps!!!!!

I know your swing brother! You get it done!

BeefCakeScout
05-30-2013, 09:50 AM
shad,

On that note, because I have caught so many shad, my habit is to flick my wrist......strange that everything else gets a good Jimmy houston hookset

Marv
05-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Personal preference, but I hardly ever set the hook, I just reel in. I use quality hooks, so no need really. A while ago at New Melones I was fishing next to 2 guys who were hook setting so hard (almost touching the rod to the ground over their shoulder) they lost several fish and couldn't figure out why. I told them when they get a bite to reel in slack and load the rod up and reel, they started to land fish :)

Hook sets like that are good for other fish as some had said, but even when bass fishing I simply load the rod and reel. If you catch a bass on a jig in timber, you better set hard and fast and turn that pig around or he'll go into the snag and your done.

PapaGreg
05-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Marv's got it dialed in! I make sure the line slack is gone and give the rod a little tug, 99% of the time it's fish on. Funny, when using circle hooks, the fish usually hooks itself. Gosh, even salmon fishing in Alaska, not in rivers, I usually use the same tactic and generally am successful.

Having said that, it is amusing to watch the antics of some.

kingcole
05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
To each their own. Control what you do and teach. Life's too short to sweat the small stuff.

WHT.RUS
05-30-2013, 12:12 PM
On that note, because I have caught so many shad, my habit is to flick my wrist......strange that everything else gets a good Jimmy houston hookset

I think for shad the bobber sets the hook by itself, but a little jerk gets it right in there if it fish didnt hook and it about to spit the hook.

BeefCakeScout
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
I think for shad the bobber sets the hook by itself, but a little jerk gets it right in there if it fish didnt hook and it about to spit the hook.

I had a bobber down scenario with a birds nest at the same time. It dipped for a few seconds, then he spit it. The biggest reason for a hook set with a bobber is to immediately take up slack line to put pressure on the fish.

Reel Fun
05-30-2013, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=simplycook;928767]I'm writing this because in the past month (6-7 outings), I've been seeing some pretty outrageous "habits" of some fishermen........ the trout bite was easy pickings. Lots of 1-lbers, must have C&R 25+............................................... .............................................. Unfortunately I see a different "bad habit" here. I would say catching and releasing 25+ fish means that a lot of fish were killed and left to sink. I hear what you are saying about guys trying to impress someone with their hookset and thats not good.......but trout are sensitive and fragile and C&R even with lures and barbless hooks is bound to kill them after they swim off. I assume if your talking about feeling the bite and setting the hook correctly that you were bait fishing? I have seen wardens issue tickets for wanton waste at Pardee for guys C&R dozens of planters that became floaters. Just a different point of view on this. RF

simplycook
06-01-2013, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=simplycook;928767]Unfortunately I see a different "bad habit" here. I would say catching and releasing 25+ fish means that a lot of fish were killed and left to sink. I hear what you are saying about guys trying to impress someone with their hookset and thats not good.......but trout are sensitive and fragile and C&R even with lures and barbless hooks is bound to kill them after they swim off. I assume if your talking about feeling the bite and setting the hook correctly that you were bait fishing? I have seen wardens issue tickets for wanton waste at Pardee for guys C&R dozens of planters that became floaters. Just a different point of view on this. RF

That's a little unfair, is it not?
Yes, catching 25+ is a lot. Most were caught on PB or mini crawlers. Yes, trout are sensitive fish but to assume that they are "bound" to swim off and die would be a poor conclusion. If any trout I catch is a heavy bleeder, then I'll keep it rather than tossing it back. Most of the fish that day did not bleed much and swam away on their own after 5-15 minutes with some motivation. I don't know how most guys C&R but I don't jam long needle-nose pliers and rip out the trout's throat to remove the hook. If I did, then I'd be getting my limits much too early. Like some others mentioned about having finesse on setting the hook, the same can be applied to handling the fish, removing the hook, and releasing the fish.

I agree the game wardens should issues tickets to those guys. I have no problem with that. You point of view is appreciated, though I feel a bit short-sided.

Reel Fun
06-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I am just pointing out that fishing in bay area shallow water high temp lakes for trout when the water is borderline too warm already and using a barbed baited hook and then waiting for the "bite vs the nibble" and in your words and releasing a fish that didn't bleed "a lot" is not a good practice in my opinion. Just because they swim off does not guarantee they live. When fishing for truck trout 99% of the fish caught will be about the same size so C&R just means that along with a limit taken more will die after being hooked. In the best circumstances (cold water & barbless etc) a percentage of truck trout aka "planters" will die after being caught. I do not know the ratio of fish that make it vs ones that die but all I am saying is what you are doing is just as much a bad habit as setting the hook too hard (the reason for this thread) If you are calling out bad habits like you have done then it should be easy to realize that C&R over 25 trout in a warm water pond is not the best practice. Just taking the fish out of the water and putting your hands on it to remove the hook is enough to kill them sometimes and doing that and having the fish bleed is almost certain death. We are all sportsman out on the water and giving a guy a pointer about setting the hook properly is just as important as pointing out that some fish die after being hooked and fought to shore. This is why a lot of pay to fish lakes offer no C&R.....because they know there is a good chance that fish will die. I fish for stripers a lot in the delta and I generally release stripers under 22 inches and over 32 inches but if I land a 19 incher hooked deep.....he is going in the box as part of my limit......and if I come home with two 19 in fish then that's just fine with me. RF

BIG_ONE
06-02-2013, 08:41 AM
Swinging for the fence even at stocker trout. That used to be me when I first started fishing. It's really hard to control this habit when your adrenaline is pumping. But after a while of fishing, you just need to tell yourself to calm down and think about what your really trying to hook up. Everything trout related will be a quick snap of my wrist, well most fish to be honest. Sturgeon...I use all I got in me.

:yahoo:

simplycook
06-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I am just pointing out that fishing in bay area shallow water high temp lakes for trout when the water is borderline too warm already and using a barbed baited hook and then waiting for the "bite vs the nibble" and in your words and releasing a fish that didn't bleed "a lot" is not a good practice in my opinion. Just because they swim off does not guarantee they live. When fishing for truck trout 99% of the fish caught will be about the same size so C&R just means that along with a limit taken more will die after being hooked. In the best circumstances (cold water & barbless etc) a percentage of truck trout aka "planters" will die after being caught. I do not know the ratio of fish that make it vs ones that die but all I am saying is what you are doing is just as much a bad habit as setting the hook too hard (the reason for this thread) If you are calling out bad habits like you have done then it should be easy to realize that C&R over 25 trout in a warm water pond is not the best practice. Just taking the fish out of the water and putting your hands on it to remove the hook is enough to kill them sometimes and doing that and having the fish bleed is almost certain death. We are all sportsman out on the water and giving a guy a pointer about setting the hook properly is just as important as pointing out that some fish die after being hooked and fought to shore. This is why a lot of pay to fish lakes offer no C&R.....because they know there is a good chance that fish will die. I fish for stripers a lot in the delta and I generally release stripers under 22 inches and over 32 inches but if I land a 19 incher hooked deep.....he is going in the box as part of my limit......and if I come home with two 19 in fish then that's just fine with me. RF

Arguing the merits of C&R, right or wrong, is personal opinion. However, you're assuming that many C&R trout will die. I don't believe it is true. Even if some die, they still became resources for birds, other fish, crawdads, trees, etc. Trout in warm water ponds, if not by being caught or natural selection, typically die in the summer heat.
Theres a reason they stock trout in the colder months and catfish in the summer. Most trout will die from high temps, get eaten by spawning bass, or get caught. The ones that survive dive deep and live another year. I intended to argue that over setting the hook on small trout is overkill and setting the wheels in motion for death. A properly caught and handled fish will still have good chances of surviving, even sensitive truck planter trout. If not, then I'm happy to drop in my box and have him for dinner. Most guys fishing at "pay, no C&R" lakes are the anglers whom catch to eat. They don't care about refined techniques and respecting the life of a fish. Thus, why those lakes developed those rules and I agree with them but I rarely fish at them.
Stripers and trout is comparing apples to oranges. I fish the delta as well for bass and they are much heartier and resilient than trout. And I do the same as you. I prefer not to keep any bass, but if I got one hooked deep, I don't have much choice to take it home or feed Mother Nature.

Maybe sometimes I'll have to meet up with you in the delta and fish.

Kevin

BeefCakeScout
06-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Arguing the merits of C&R, right or wrong, is personal opinion.As is hard hook sets being a "bad habit" However, you're assuming that many C&R trout will die. I don't believe it is true.

This is proven, belief or no.

IronClad
06-02-2013, 01:50 PM

This.
Also people that use retardedly light gear are big time fish killers fighting them too long. Exhaustion + lots of lactic acid build up = death for sure

simplycook
06-02-2013, 07:07 PM

That hard hook sets are "bad habits" and it was my opinion?
Thanks for reiterating that yet again.

What did you prove?

simplycook
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Also people that use retardedly light gear are big time fish killers fighting them too long.

I agree with this. Landing the fish has a fine line of skill and then its over the top. Anglers who use ultralight gear to catch large fish are specifically doing it for bragging rights... i.e.. catching a 30lb salmon on 4lb test line. They are overexerting the fish, thus likely leading to death.

Exhaustion + lots of lactic acid build up = death for sure

Exhaustion + lactic acid build up = A very tired and weary fish but not necessarily death. Problem is that most anglers don't have the patience to help revive the fish. After one or two minutes, if the fish hasn't swam away on its own, then the angler will just push/leave/toss it away. The fish isn't dead but you're leaving it for easy pickings to other predators. Trout being sensitive fish, they need time to revive but most guys won't give the time of day for a trout.

IronClad
06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
If you are just pushing it away when it wont revive strong and swim off that is still wanton waste of fish and illegal even if it dies and hits the bank for the critters =) doesnt matter if its feeding the eco system or not =) If you caught it and it wont swim off after revive efforts you take it home.

simplycook
06-02-2013, 07:56 PM
If you are just pushing it away when it wont revive strong and swim off that is still wanton waste of fish and illegal even if it dies and hits the bank for the critters =) doesnt matter if its feeding the eco system or not =) If you caught it and it wont swim off after revive efforts you take it home.

Agreed. If it won't swim on its own, then you should keep it. But others are implying that even if it swims away on its own, that it would still die later on.

IronClad
06-02-2013, 07:58 PM
And it can, Ive witnessed it myself and had it happen to myself

Reel Fun
06-02-2013, 10:24 PM
All I am saying is catching 30+ fish with PB (most likely a treble hook) and releasing them is not a good habit. You were pointing out other peoples bad habits and I pointed out yours. C&R is not against the law......but I would bet all I own that fish died that day? Maybe not all.....but some! If I were fishing and wanted to be a good steward and show someone how its done....I would tell them every landed fish gets reduced to the bag. I would teach that in hot weather and shallow water most fish would likely die and that's not the mission! I can assure you a warden has this on his mind when watching C&R being practiced on planted trout. If he saw one floater even 100ft out from shore he is warming up his ink pen. C&R is a very respected way to fish for large female stripers or sturgeon,brown trout etc. But if you want to teach good sportsmanship then keep the 1-2 lb trout in the summer when bank fishing an east bay pond/lake. Good Luck!!!! RF

Katfish
06-02-2013, 10:42 PM
All I am saying is catching 30+ fish with PB (most likely a treble hook) and releasing them is not a good habit. You were pointing out other peoples bad habits and I pointed out yours. C&R is not against the law......but I would bet all I own that fish died that day? Maybe not all.....but some! If I were fishing and wanted to be a good steward and show someone how its done....I would tell them every landed fish gets reduced to the bag. I would teach that in hot weather and shallow water most fish would likely die and that's not the mission! I can assure you a warden has this on his mind when watching C&R being practiced on planted trout. If he saw one floater even 100ft out from shore he is warming up his ink pen. C&R is a very respected way to fish for large female stripers or sturgeon,brown trout etc. But if you want to teach good sportsmanship then keep the 1-2 lb trout in the summer when bank fishing an east bay pond/lake. Good Luck!!!! RF

I'll be honest. I have mixed emotions on this argument. Now im not going to say C&R 25 fish is the wrong thing to do. Ive done it many times. I C&R at least that many last week. It is unfair to tell someone they are doing wrong when doing this when you do not know anything about the situation. Its all just assumptions. Yes if the fish swallows the hook, or if hes bleeding, at all, he should be kept. To put back a doomed fish is just wrong. I will keep any and all fish that swallow my hooks, dont swim right away, or even any trout i so much as pull out of the water until ive reached my limit. I think the real issue on that is PROPER C&R of trout. There is a good sticky here on trout board that goes into the correct way to do it. I reccomend becoming familiar with the right way to do things. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH C&R A TROUT. ITS ONLY WRONG WHEN YOU HAVENT TAKEN THE TIME TO EDUCATE YOURSELF TO DO IT PROPERLY. THAT OR THOSE WHO JUST DONT CARE WHETHER THE FISH DIES OR NOT. Like i said im kind of split on this but i dont think its ok to say "ALL FISH LANDED SHOULD BE REDUCED TO THE BUCKET". Sorry man, but thats not always the case.

Reel Fun
06-03-2013, 06:23 AM
If you read his first post you would see why I came to that conclusion.........warm shallow water.....bait fishing....barbed hook....barbed treble hook......bleeding fish......teaching on how to tell the difference between a nibble and a bite? ( aka..allowing the fish to swallow the bait).....C&R 30 fish under these circumstance is not a good idea! And reducing them to the bag is a good idea! I think a good percentage of those fish died. Maybe as much as 50% (15 fish) Only way to know for sure is if a warden was watching.....and if that was the case the guy setting the hook too hard would have been the lesser of the two bad habits! When you go fishing you owe it to the fish to respect them! He already said all the fish were the same size and some were bleeding when released......so if he was using a single barbless hook and shaking them off in the water that's one thing. But that's not the case here. Its like Kokanee......once you bring them up from 100ft into 80 degree water... net them...and handle them to remove the hook or hooks....they have a slim chance of surviving.....but they most always "swim off" only to later "die off" RF

CRABBY
06-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Read this!!It's not complete nor perfect by any means,if anybody would would like to add to it let me know!!I think the coke thread should go here for bleeding an will do so..Don...................

http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/trout-board/84872-proper-way-c-r-trout.html

IronClad
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I tried the coke thing a few weeks ago. It did infact make the fish stop bleeding but it still ended up being a floater =( and recovered and is now in my freezer !

siskiyoufisherman
06-03-2013, 02:40 PM
To get back on subject, I have a couple of fishing partners that I almost need to wear a helmet when they fish off the back of my 18 foot boat. I keep showing them to reel down and load the rod before they set the hook but as soon as the pole twitches they pull the rod over their head and hit me then put the rod to the back of the boat with about 15 feet of slack line and say " nothing there". Here is a clip of how I set the hook on bass. Stick it to em!
Pre Spawn Smallmouth Bass-moresifishingguide.com - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6H0KAOD5VU)

BeefCakeScout
06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
That hard hook sets are "bad habits" and it was my opinion?
Thanks for reiterating that yet again.

What did you prove?

Just pointing out the hypocrisy in your opinion being a "bad habit", and someone else's "bad habit" being just....opinion.

WHT.RUS
06-03-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm surprised I haven't joined into this conversation.

This thread is getting better by the day :snacker:

49erbassman
06-03-2013, 08:04 PM
This thread started with a ???? Meaning he was asking if it's a bad habit and now all of a sudden were bashing people for CnR and people are hypocrites for their opinions......wow

I need a coup beers after this one. Chris get your popcorn this one may be locked soon!!

Fish on!

Reel Fun
06-03-2013, 08:32 PM
My opinion on this thread is not that C&R is a bad thing. In fact I appreciate a guy who catches a fish and decides its better for the fishery to let it swim! Mike Gravert (Intimadator Sportfishing) caught a huge striper this year (50+ lbs) and he took a pic revived it and let it go! That's how its done! Now lets not get that twisted with catching truck trout from shore in 70 degree water and dragging them into 85 degree water and then grabbing them to remove the treble hook that the fish swallowed after the angler was waiting nibble after nibble waiting for the "bite????? And then you do that 30 times over and act like its cool because they "swam off" Its not like you were in a C&R artificial barbles only cold water stream and you net the fish and leave it in the 50 degree water without touching it and take hemostats to gently remove the barbless hook then plunge the net deeper to allow the fish to swim off......naaaaa this is a little different in my opinion? But even more than that.....this is all about a guy calling out another for bad habits/technique when in fact he is doing worse! Some might say that's the pot calling the kettle black...LOL!!! C&R is a great practice but it has a time & place and if you sit back and think about it anyone would see in certain conditions C&R is not a good idea and could land you in trouble with DFW? RF

Reel Fun
06-03-2013, 08:39 PM
This thread started with a ???? Meaning he was asking if it's a bad habit and now all of a sudden were bashing people for CnR and people are hypocrites for their opinions......wow

I need a coup beers after this one. Chris get your popcorn this one may be locked soon!!

Fish on! I just re read the original post... he never "asked" if this was a bad habit? I have not seen one reply suggesting C&R in this situation is OK? (other than the original poster) RF

This will be my last comment here

The title has a question mark. I really am not concerned if anyone else has or hasn't said its ok. He was asking for feedback on hookset not CnR;)

WHT.RUS
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
If anyone used trebles before for the planters, take a look inside the mouth. Almost 80% of the time, the trout swallows it and it hooked right in the throat. Cutting the line, removing it out of water, keeping it out of water, pulling the hook, whichever, the fish will die. It might look like it swam off, but it will sink couple minutes later. That is why I try not to CnR the planters unless they're hooked on the lip. Otherwise I keep them. That's my opinion on it:signs525gx:

redneckpunk
06-03-2013, 08:45 PM
:beatdeadhorse5: on this one guys.

~RNP

49erbassman
06-03-2013, 08:48 PM
The OP asked a question about hard hook sets in the title and than gave his opinion and that he thought it was a bad habit. He was than called out and told his CnR practice is a bad habit......which had absolutely nothing to do with the question or any comments made in the thread. From there he had to stick up for himself and thread spiraled downward from there. Your chomping the bit over CnR practices on "truck trout" not wild fish but genetically worthless fish that serve no other purpose than to kept fishermen spending money and your doing this with zero evidence to support your "opinion". ( not saying we shouldn't treat planters just like any other fish)

My point to everyone not RF in particular is keep the thread on track and don't go off on a tirade because someone ask a question about a hookset. Everything else in this thread is useless banter.

Fish on!

Reel Fun
06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
:beatdeadhorse5: on this one guys.

~RNP You right! I would much rather read about a guy who caught 5 Kokanee on ummmm pink hoochies and was done by 10 am. RF

CAL.NDN
06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
:snacker::kahuna29nm::moon:

WHT.RUS
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
I stayed on topic on my first post! I for one have no problems with people CnR and those who keep fish as long as they're within their legal limit. :EDIT: If the fish dies, it will cycle into the life of nature. So no loss.

Rob, this can be your first locking of the thread!:vrolijk_1:

CAL.NDN
06-03-2013, 08:54 PM
You right! I would much rather read about a guy who caught 5 Kokanee on ummmm pink hoochies and was done by 10 am. RF
Other than they taste good what is so fun about catching 10 inch fish. And im not trying to sound rude just totaly curious. It does not sound that fun to me. But never tried it so dont know.

redneckpunk
06-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Other than they taste good what is so fun about catching 10 inch fish. And im not trying to sound rude just totaly curious. It does not sound that fun to me. But never tried it so dont know.

because its fish!! LOL!

Reel Fun
06-03-2013, 08:56 PM
I am going to call DFW in the morning and tell them to take "wanton waste" of the bad list! Because C&R'ing 30+ trout on a hot day from shore is ok because they are truck trout! And the warden could never prove the fish died because once they "swam off" heck they could have had a heart attack and died and it was just a coinkedink it had a barbed treble ripped from its gut moments prior. Really?

49erbassman
06-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Fish on![/QUOTE] I just re read the original post... he never "asked" if this was a bad habit? I have not seen one reply suggesting C&R in this situation is OK? (other than the original poster) RF

This will be my last comment here

The title has a question mark. I really am not concerned if anyone else has or hasn't said its ok. He was asking for feedback on hookset not CnR;)

I may ban myself before I lock it.

Fish on!

WHT.RUS
06-03-2013, 08:59 PM
Lol Rob.

I set the hook on panfish so hard, that I don't have to reel them in! They come flying right into my bucket:D

BIG_ONE
06-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Am I reading this thread wrong or is this really turning into a thread about CnR a planter's trout? Planter's are planted...to be fished are they? I'm confused.

:swimmingfish:

redneckpunk
06-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm confused.

:swimmingfish:

No more than normal. :banana: LOL! you are correct

redneckpunk
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
This one has run its course, and then some.

:closed9tc: